Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons

November 27th, 2017, 9:59 pm #11

I'm trying to figure out what these things are and their possible value. They seem to be too big to be handcuffs (they slip right off my wrists), but I also have read the Burdick leg irons are kinda rare? The 2nd picture has the constant/lighting adjusted so you can see the engraving better.

In my pair, there are 22 link between the leg chain and on the above example, there are about 33 links.
Mine has about 9 links on each side of the leg chain and about 13 or more on the other set.

If a side by side comparison was made, mine would be smaller.
It is hard to see in the original phot but I believe I am seeing round links which join the segments of the chain together and at the lock cases.
My leg iron uses just the twisted link chain without the rings.

I have not seen any other examples of Burdick Irons besides mine so I don't really know if the company used a standard when manufacturing these or not.

mark
O---O

Chris Gower
Chris Gower

November 29th, 2017, 10:59 am #12

I'm trying to figure out what these things are and their possible value. They seem to be too big to be handcuffs (they slip right off my wrists), but I also have read the Burdick leg irons are kinda rare? The 2nd picture has the constant/lighting adjusted so you can see the engraving better.

Very nice photos of the Burdick LI. The only example I knew of many years ago was in the collection of Nick Stone a collector and escapologist. Guess your pair Mark may be the same ones? The Burdick Handcuffs are very rare do we know how many exist in collections. I do have a pair with original key and original lead handle. I do not know of any other examples in the UK.
Chris

Ron Spitz
Ron Spitz

November 29th, 2017, 4:08 pm #13

I have the cuffs with original handle, but I don't know it the key is original.

Ron

Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons

November 29th, 2017, 11:39 pm #14

Happy Guest
Happy Guest

November 30th, 2017, 8:40 pm #15

Great pics along with great post ....

Thanks posters !

December 1st, 2017, 2:13 am #16

Here is a picture of the original photo (you can scroll to zoom in a bit)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wmPLo0 ... sp=sharing

December 8th, 2017, 5:13 am #17

Chris,
Nick Stone was my father. He had a wonderful collection of restraints including the Burdick cuffs.I currently have 4000 pieces of his lock and key collection and several of his restraints. He was a true pioneer in the lock, key and restraint collectors field.
As you mentioned he was an Escape artist, well known to hundreds of thousands. He beat Houdini's record for the straight jacket and most of Nicks underwater escapes took him only 23 seconds! The longest was when he got trapped in seaweed and could not surface for over 2 minutes.
I was happy to see him remembered for his collection and his Art all these years later here on this forum.

Thank you!

Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons

December 8th, 2017, 5:42 pm #18

Nicksdaughter,

Do you know if your 4000 item collection still has the Burdick Leg Iron in it as shown above?

I am not aware of any special provenance pertaining to the one I own, but as Chris points out, these are quite rare and a slight possibility exists that mine may have once belonged to your dad, if indeed this restraint is no longer in your collection.

If so, this would be quite an honor for me but unless you had a detailed picture from your dad, it would be almost impossible to prove that mine was once in his collection.

mark
O----O

December 8th, 2017, 6:32 pm #19

Hello Mark,
We have photographs in some form of all of my father's collection. His locks are in his book. We have most of his keys. The Burdicks were sold by my brother along with many really unique restraints. We do have a log of the most of items my brother sold and to whom. It is possible we have the paper work or photos to link the items to the new collectors. Can you tell me where you got yours and what year? You can e mail me at barbs@neo.rr.com.
Thank you for considering it an honor to own a piece of his collection. He was a remarkable man, a very talented Escape Artist and Magician. We have hundreds of articles, contracts, photos and letters about his career. A true collector of all things that locked, restrained and anything connected to those items.
As I said before it is nice to see he is still remembered in some way today by other people who share his passion and appreciated his work.

Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons

December 9th, 2017, 7:22 pm #20

Barbara,

It is a pleasure talking with you here.
I did not know the lineage of my Burdick Leg Irons before now but I bought them about 7 or 8 years ago from a collector who got them from the famous George Hill Collection in 1978.

The fellow I bought them from stated to me that the timing of the sales would make it virtually impossible that this item was originally part of your father's collection.

If you see any reference to George Hill in your records about this item, please let me know but I really don't think my leg iron was ever in your dads possession.

I was also told that unless any other leg irons surface, there are only 3 or 4 known to exist.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mark
O--O

Confirmation of reply: