any idea?

any idea?

June 6th, 2017, 6:27 am #1

Alright fellas, these cuffs have come to me from a friend who is offering to sell them to me. He thinks they are sterling silver, which they are not. They look to be standard Hiatts to me. My question is this: any ideas on what the inscribing on them means? Who is/was "the pieman" and why would he be given handcuffs? Im stumped on this one. I did some google searching and came up with a man who matches this name who was a printer around this time frame. Why would a printer be given or used handcuffs? Im hoping that somene in the UK can give me some insight on this. All of the help is appreciated.
-Richard Knip-

Last edited by lauher on August 5th, 2017, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 6th, 2017, 6:45 am #2

To help those who cant see it, the iscription on the cuffs reads as: "To Hugh Spottiswoode (the pieman) From The Printers Pirate Nov. 7 1915." The key has the marks of: I cant make out the first image, but it is followed by the image of a lion and the image of a shield or a crest?
-Richard Knip-

June 6th, 2017, 7:00 am #3

Alright fellas, these cuffs have come to me from a friend who is offering to sell them to me. He thinks they are sterling silver, which they are not. They look to be standard Hiatts to me. My question is this: any ideas on what the inscribing on them means? Who is/was "the pieman" and why would he be given handcuffs? Im stumped on this one. I did some google searching and came up with a man who matches this name who was a printer around this time frame. Why would a printer be given or used handcuffs? Im hoping that somene in the UK can give me some insight on this. All of the help is appreciated.
-Richard Knip-

this is the inscription on the 2nd cuff. It reads: "To Bind Us Closer Hand To Hand" and has 2 other marks on the lock casing shown in the pic.
-Richard Knip-

pieman's mate
pieman's mate

June 6th, 2017, 8:11 am #4

-Richard Knip-

I guess they were a parting/retirement gift with a lot of humour. (you would have had to have been there in 1915)

Ron Spitz
Ron Spitz

June 6th, 2017, 3:46 pm #5

-Richard Knip-

The markings on the key looks like makers markings and quality of the silver plating, if there is any. They can be looked up in various reference books. It would take some research but worth the effort.

Ron

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

June 6th, 2017, 6:21 pm #6

-Richard Knip-

The "markings" on the key do remind me of the markings that are seen on the famous Houdini "Mirror Handcuff" Silver Replica.

...leading one to think that SOME Silver may have been incorporated into the darby's manufacturing.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/search? ... ffs+silver

(the above link is from John Cox's Houdini tribute website: www.wildabouthoudini.com)

June 6th, 2017, 6:47 pm #7

-Richard Knip-

Very interesting. I am learning quite a bit and I thank all of you, very much. Im guessing that they are silver plated? I am going to have the gentlemen who owns these put a magnet to them and see if it sticks. Pure silver isnt magnetic. If it sticks, it could still show that they are standard darbys with a silver plating over the top. I am currently trying to research the markings to see what i can come up with. Nothing yet. Thanks again.
-Richard Knip-

Steve Santini
Steve Santini

June 6th, 2017, 7:27 pm #8

-Richard Knip-

Such markings in silver are sometimes called "hallmarks."

Within each silver hallmark there is one symbol that denotes the year of manufacture. This particular symbol is called a, "date cypher."

Find the date cypher and you can find out the exact year of manufacture.

If the key has a hallmark, I am inclined to think that there may be a matching hallmark somewhere on the cuff as well.

Unless of course only the key is solid silver or silver plated and the cuff is the usual nickel plate.

Cheers, Steve Santini

June 6th, 2017, 8:40 pm #9

-Richard Knip-

So far...I have this much figured out. The key is marked with a makers mark for Mappin and Webb Ltd. silversmiths and plating from London. It does have a sterling silver mark on the key, but not present on the cuffs. Still working on the I.D. for the two marks shown on the cuffs, themselves. I have yet to find a date mark on either piece. Not having these cuffs in hand and trying to work a deal over email is proving rather difficult. He is wanting solid silver pricing, but i strongly believe these to be just sterling plated.
-RK-

June 6th, 2017, 9:28 pm #10

-Richard Knip-

Just got an email. The only magnetic part of the cuffs is the center of the lock casing. Guessing, the bolt and spring? Im now thinking, that these are not just plated. They bear the marking of sterling silver and are not magnetic. My early Hiatt cuffs are magnetic. Very cool piece! Hoping that we can strike a deal.
-Richard Knip-

Confirmation of reply: