Another attempt at finding an Argus Iron Claw

February 22nd, 2009, 2:03 am #1

I am still looking for a nice condition Argus Iron Claw (model 2)

I have found quite a few Claws, but in horrible condition... corroded, scratched and worn to the point of no lettering visible.

I have a pair of S&W model 94 V3 cuffs with original key that I could include along with cash.

I'm more than happy to pay a good price if the claw is in excellent shape.

Thanks for reading my request here and sorry if I'm a pest

Dan

Atlanta*Casting
Atlanta*Casting

February 22nd, 2009, 2:44 am #2

Just be patient and hold onto your 94's and cash.

If the economy stays the same or gets worse you will see iron claws coming
"out of the woodwork" online and you can then "pick and choose" a good one.

It's way too easy for unscrupulous sellers to do a post sale search on iron claws to see what the
current price trend is before listing and then shill their item up to that price.

When I was first into collecting handcuffs and anything related I came across a pair of Argus model two's that were in excellent condition and consecutively numbered for under $75.00

good luck.

PS, for those who like collecting high security locks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0309380131

February 22nd, 2009, 9:31 am #3

I have found quite a few Claws, but in horrible condition... corroded, scratched and worn to the point of no lettering visible.

I have a pair of S&W model 94 V3 cuffs with original key that I could include along with cash.

Dan
When I used to collect cuffs and the like back in the 1970's I had owned at least a dozen Argus claws which I used to get for approx. $35-50 and they were all in excellent condition. Guess I'll have to wait for one to pop out of the woodwork now.

Many thanks for the reply.

Dan

Ricky Carter
Ricky Carter

March 2nd, 2009, 12:02 am #4

Dan
I have a Argus Iron Claw I dont know what model it is, however if you can tell by the serial # here it is

J.Kuczero
J.Kuczero

March 3rd, 2009, 2:42 am #5

Dan
Is it safe to assume that if it has the 1937 patent number on it it's a model 2? Mine shows some scuffing in the nickel plating and a small spot on one end of the handle where the steel is showing and dark but the lettering is still sharp and it works perfectly. The original leather hoster for it has some pretty rough spots on it though. Could have been a case of road rash or could have been rats in the attic where it was stored. In any case it's not for sale. I was just wondering which model it was.

Bernie R
Bernie R

January 24th, 2010, 3:55 pm #6

Dan
I have an original Arus Iron Claw. It is in very good condition and was my father's who was a policeman in PA. Has passed away last year and I received when he passed away. I will take some pictures of it if you are still interested.

Please contact me through the email addresswith a phone number or other information

Thanks
Bernie

Weston
Weston

January 25th, 2010, 1:55 am #7

Dan
Most iron claws are in crappy condition as per the finish. The only steel parts are the two claws and internal thread. The rest is cast alloy of aluminum and copper. The Germans made zepplins out of it. Nickel plating wore off realy easy and the alloy turns dark gray. The alloy was called sduraluminm. If made all out of steel it would have rusted really bad and the screw mechainism would be a yugo.

Spencer
Spencer

January 26th, 2010, 1:31 am #8

Dan
Why not go to Damon R. Shields excellent site US Handcuffs and Collectibles where he has done a great job dissecting the different models of Iron Claw. If nothing else we should use his system as the standard for labeling the different models so we'll all be on the same page.

Kyle S
Kyle S

October 7th, 2012, 2:32 am #9

Dan
I have just recently been given an Iron Claw Model 2 in very good condition...some of the plating has come of the claw part itself but not completely. At some point it was engraved with JUV. COURT. As well as the town it was in. Everything works nicely just like they were used yesterday. If Anyone can tell me what these are usually value at it would be great.

LK
LK

October 7th, 2012, 1:17 pm #10

Dan
DAN, my offer for my MINT CONDITION CLAW still open,pic's not available !!

LK D~D

Confirmation of reply: