Jay Lelsie
Jay Lelsie

October 13th, 2012, 4:15 am #11

I am still looking for a nice condition Argus Iron Claw (model 2)

I have found quite a few Claws, but in horrible condition... corroded, scratched and worn to the point of no lettering visible.

I have a pair of S&W model 94 V3 cuffs with original key that I could include along with cash.

I'm more than happy to pay a good price if the claw is in excellent shape.

Thanks for reading my request here and sorry if I'm a pest

Dan
If you can't find one, I have one packed away that i can probably get to on Saturday. The plating is VG as i remember.

How do you tell the difference in models. I had one when they first came out and I've had others and they all look the same.

October 14th, 2012, 8:34 pm #12

I have found quite a few Claws, but in horrible condition... corroded, scratched and worn to the point of no lettering visible.

I have a pair of S&W model 94 V3 cuffs with original key that I could include along with cash.

Dan
Hi Jay

The Argus Iron Claw had 6 versions. The 1st version had the locking teeth exposed which caused cuts to the officers. There wasn't a patent number either.

Version 2 had a sleeve that covered the teeth. Version 3 isn't much different than Version 2. It's only difference is in the patent stamp. Version 2 says: Pat. Pend.

Version 3 says: Pat. 1950757 and below that, Other Pat Pend.

Version 4's patent isn't pending anymore. Its stamped: Pat. 1950757
Under that is another patent number: 2066654

Version 5 appeared around 1960 when Argus became Argus-JayPee (these were made in Tawain) The patent numbers are the same as on all the other versions.

Version 6 has: Made in Tawain stamped on it and the claw itself is rather chunky looking with squared edges.

All the above info is from this website:http://www.ushandcuffs.com/AugusIronClaw.html

Hopefully I got all the info correct. It's a wonderful website, btw.

Regards,

Dan R

shade hawkins
shade hawkins

February 12th, 2013, 4:23 pm #13

Dan
I have a very nice one I can sell you. Personal, police issue, not a junk.

February 12th, 2013, 4:55 pm #14

Dan
I have a few nippers for sale as well.

joe tanner
joe tanner

February 12th, 2013, 5:37 pm #15

Dan
as to when the JAY PEE - ARGUS were FIRST made, the year of 1960 is INCORRECT unless they did NOT sell any till approx. 1982..... in approx. 1982-83 i purchased approx 15-16 JAY PEE - ARGUS nipper claws from the COURTLAND B. J. company (supplier of the JAY-PEE) but i can't remember if i had serial #0001 or 0002.... i did have serial numbers 0003 thru approx. 0018..... i kept a number of them in my collection as they had the LOWEST serial numbers...... ordered more right away as i was getting good orders for them and of course more as the years went by.... i do not know WHO actually contracted to have them made, but i suspect COURTLAND did as they were the only supplier that i know of.... i also believe that COURTLAND had contracted to have ONLY ONE RUN of them made and when they finally sold out of them several years ago that was it..... joe

Mile nj
Mile nj

February 13th, 2013, 2:37 am #16

Dan
Give up already... Really starting to get old

Daniel Rickless
Daniel Rickless

February 13th, 2013, 10:35 pm #17

Dan
Hi,

The post that everyone is now emailing me about (a post from 4 years ago)
is a dead issue. Please don't email me or message me about a post I put on here in 2009. Someone said 'its getting old'. Naturally its old. I was looking for a claw, 4 years ago. I am all set with claws now. Ever since people went insane on ebay and are now selling and buying claws for almost $200(ridiculous), everyone on here is responding to my 4 year old post wanting to make a buck.

The best one was from someone on here who said: 'I have a claw to sell you'
I asked to see photos. He said he didn't own a camera but his claw looked just like the one in the gallery on here. When I told him I would like to see photos of his claw, he kept insisting that his looked exactly like the one in the gallery and he would sell it to me. He eventually asked me if I was a US citizen. I have no clue what he meant by that. Maybe he thought I didn't understand English. Would you buy a car from someone if they said "I can't show you my car, but it looks just like that one over there"

I do not want a claw. Case closed. Thank you.

February 19th, 2013, 4:09 pm #18

Dan
Hello, I bought a V4 for 40 USD and am satisfied. Thanks for the clarification of the versions.

Best

Jens

henry
henry

March 5th, 2013, 2:49 pm #19

Dan
i have been searching for a holster for my argus iron claw.perhaps you can help me locate one.i'll kep my eyes out for a claw in pristine condition.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 5th, 2013, 3:37 pm #20

Dan
Joseph lock this post PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Confirmation of reply: