Anonymous

October 12th, 2004, 4:24 am #11

Many Thanks Ian.
Regards, Margaret - (Australia)

Kate Slatter
Kate Slatter

October 17th, 2004, 12:35 pm #12

Hi Margaret,
Do you by chance happen to know when your uncle joined 462sqdn, i have some pages from the 462sqdn Operations Record book for November 44 and cannot find his name among the crews, this could mean that he joined after November 44.
My father was a navigator on Halifx/Wellingtons 1943/44 with Squadron 462 - do you happen to have any information on John Slatter in your records??
Any information would be appreciated. Regards.

Arthur Newstead
Arthur Newstead

October 25th, 2004, 8:26 pm #13

Hello, I am searching for information regarding my uncle,an Australian, F/O Vivian Clive Ely, who I think was based at Foulsham & serving with Bomber Command around 1944 - 1945. Sadly he was shot down over Germany flying a Halifax III (MZ461 Z5-G) on the 24/2/1945 at the tender age of 23 with 6 other crew members - none surviving. He was one of the 3 not found & consequently has no known grave. I have some information from WR Chorley & some bits & peices that I have found on the net re 462, but nothing specific. Does anyone have any information re my uncle or that fateful day? Anything would be most apprecitated. Regards Margaret
Good Evening, I was a Flight Engineer with 462 Squadron and I actually flew with F/O Ely as a
'spare bod' on 27 Jan 1945. The target was Duisberg area of the Ruhr, flight lasted 7hrs 19 mins. and because of fog had to land with the aid of F.I.D.O.
I have some information on F/O Ely's last flight
( We lost four a/c that night)and I will dig it out for you and Email you later.
In 1989 there was a reunion at Foulsham and I met a relative of Vic Ely, I think it was his sister.
Will contact you later.......
Arthur Newstead

October 25th, 2004, 8:43 pm #14

Well done Arthur,
Can I, on behalf of ALL of us here on this forum, and those of us concerned with the Halifax, WW2, the RAF, and Living History, give you our most sincere thanks and gratitude for "doing your bit" during WW2.
I wish you well
Best regards
Ian F
57 RESCUE

HAROLD DUMMER
HAROLD DUMMER

October 26th, 2004, 9:30 pm #15

Hello, I am searching for information regarding my uncle,an Australian, F/O Vivian Clive Ely, who I think was based at Foulsham & serving with Bomber Command around 1944 - 1945. Sadly he was shot down over Germany flying a Halifax III (MZ461 Z5-G) on the 24/2/1945 at the tender age of 23 with 6 other crew members - none surviving. He was one of the 3 not found & consequently has no known grave. I have some information from WR Chorley & some bits & peices that I have found on the net re 462, but nothing specific. Does anyone have any information re my uncle or that fateful day? Anything would be most apprecitated. Regards Margaret
garet have you by any chance any info re 436070 Flt/Sgt M J COLEMAN He flew mith 426 Squadron from July 1944 to 1945 He was the only surviour of the crash of Halifax LV825G in which my brother lost his life He was then with 10 squadron the crash happened 17 6 44 after this he transfered to 426 squadron Many Thanks HAROLD DUMMER

Arthur Newstead
Arthur Newstead

October 27th, 2004, 9:09 pm #16

Well done Arthur,
Can I, on behalf of ALL of us here on this forum, and those of us concerned with the Halifax, WW2, the RAF, and Living History, give you our most sincere thanks and gratitude for "doing your bit" during WW2.
I wish you well
Best regards
Ian F
57 RESCUE
Hi Margaret and Jim,
Jim, Thank you for your kind words regarding my war service, I felt quite embarrassed when I read them. I don't want to dwell on it but like most young men of my generation I wanted to fight in the war and to fly. I was able to do both in a modest way so I was doing what I wanted to do and they paid me for it. I was lucky, in that I survived, some of my friends and relatives were not so lucky. I'll write no more about it but my thanks to you again for your kindness.
Back to Margaret's query. I am ashamed to say that I had not read your message about the op. when I replied to Margaret's query.
Now that I have I can only say that I agree with everything you wrote, except that Ely and all the other 9 a/c on the op. did carry an 8 man crew. The 8th man of course being the spare bod who chucked out the Window. In fact to the best of my knowledge we always carried an 8 man crew ( in 100 Group ) and in one case we had 9. Ely's spare bod on 24Feb was a Flight Engineer called Sgt. Sanday who was brave man with a sad story.
I had hoped to have had a chance to do some research this afternoon so that I could try to tell what I know of that night but other things cropped up . But I will drag out (find!) the files and write to you soon. I only hope that when you receive it that you think that it was worth the wait. Regards……….Arthur.

Margaret
Margaret

October 28th, 2004, 7:11 am #17

garet have you by any chance any info re 436070 Flt/Sgt M J COLEMAN He flew mith 426 Squadron from July 1944 to 1945 He was the only surviour of the crash of Halifax LV825G in which my brother lost his life He was then with 10 squadron the crash happened 17 6 44 after this he transfered to 426 squadron Many Thanks HAROLD DUMMER
Sorry Harold, no information to give you. Margaret

Margaret
Margaret

October 28th, 2004, 7:21 am #18

Hi Margaret and Jim,
Jim, Thank you for your kind words regarding my war service, I felt quite embarrassed when I read them. I don't want to dwell on it but like most young men of my generation I wanted to fight in the war and to fly. I was able to do both in a modest way so I was doing what I wanted to do and they paid me for it. I was lucky, in that I survived, some of my friends and relatives were not so lucky. I'll write no more about it but my thanks to you again for your kindness.
Back to Margaret's query. I am ashamed to say that I had not read your message about the op. when I replied to Margaret's query.
Now that I have I can only say that I agree with everything you wrote, except that Ely and all the other 9 a/c on the op. did carry an 8 man crew. The 8th man of course being the spare bod who chucked out the Window. In fact to the best of my knowledge we always carried an 8 man crew ( in 100 Group ) and in one case we had 9. Ely's spare bod on 24Feb was a Flight Engineer called Sgt. Sanday who was brave man with a sad story.
I had hoped to have had a chance to do some research this afternoon so that I could try to tell what I know of that night but other things cropped up . But I will drag out (find!) the files and write to you soon. I only hope that when you receive it that you think that it was worth the wait. Regards……….Arthur.
Dear Arthur,
I have read with both interest & excitement the information that you have forwarded through this site. My father Len, F/O Vivian Ely's older brother, who is almost 87 years old & also a WW2 vet, was elated to hear from you. Any more info that you have would be most appreciated. Kind regards, Margaret

October 28th, 2004, 9:45 pm #19

Hi Margaret and Jim,
Hello Arthur,
Questions questions, I know... Sorry!
Can I enquire about the "Spare Bod" on the crews... Did their trip count towards their total tour of ops?
Some of my Canadian friends from 6 Group have told me about the 1/2 and 1/4 of an op if you went on what was regarded as "easy" trips! I was wondering if dropping 'window' or 'nickels' might have been regarded as one of those 1/2 or 1/4 ops?
Again, might I give my thanks to you for doing your bit, even if you DID enjoy it
All the best
Ian
57 RESCUE

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 29th, 2004, 2:14 pm #20

Dear Arthur,
I have read with both interest & excitement the information that you have forwarded through this site. My father Len, F/O Vivian Ely's older brother, who is almost 87 years old & also a WW2 vet, was elated to hear from you. Any more info that you have would be most appreciated. Kind regards, Margaret
Dear Margaret Thanx for your message, pleased to hear about your dad, give him my regards please.Am still writing up my account of the night of 24th feb and will post ASAP. In the mean time who did I meet in Foulsham in 1989? Have 'phoned the guy I was with that day and he too thinks that it was Viv's sister. How strange that I should meet your Aunt, if it was her, and then make contact with you. Another coincidence. Two of Viv's crew were called Critchley and Millhouse. My daughter's married name is Critchley and I live in a hamlet called
Millhouse!.......Arthur.

Confirmation of reply: