Skipton on Swale

Skipton on Swale

February 7th, 2005, 2:49 pm #1

Hi, Has anyone anything at all,no matter how trivial,on RAF Skipton on Swale.Any stories,photographs or contact from anyone who served there(air or groundcrew) would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Linzee
Linzee

February 7th, 2005, 5:10 pm #2

Hi Mick,

It might be helpful if you could say what or why you require the information.

Regards
Linzee

February 8th, 2005, 11:51 am #3

Hi Linzee, Researching for a possible book.
Was born at Skipton 1949,virtually grew up on the old airfield so it is of special interest.Still go back there from time to time to soak up the atmosphere.

February 8th, 2005, 12:16 pm #4

<P>Hi Mick,</P>
<P>Thanks for your reply.&nbsp; An interesting project.&nbsp; In addition to anything that may be posted on this thread, you might also like to look at the Wartime Memories Project website and the&nbsp;info they have on Skipton on Swale http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/airfie ... swale.html</P>
<P>Some of the Sqdns that flew from there are listed and may have Squadron Associations that you could contact (check here for Associations http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/&nbsp;)</P>
<P>Good luck and keep us posted with your progess.</P>
<P>Linzee</P>
Last edited by Linzee_ on February 8th, 2005, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 8th, 2005, 12:58 pm #5

Are you planning to raise funds for charity, or is it intended as a local history project?
Will it be published for sale locally to Skipton on Swale, or do you have a lucrative contract with an international publishing house with film, television and media rights and projects in tow?
Will you be crediting all contributers?
We would like to know, to what we would be contributing , and why.

Michael Pepe
Michael Pepe

February 10th, 2005, 12:29 pm #6

Hello, Yes it is initially a local history project about one of the 'fogotten'airfields.
All contributors will of course be credited.
I hope to publish the book myself but I am just begining the project and much research needs to be done.Any help at all would be most appreciated. Thank you.

John Beisly
John Beisly

March 19th, 2005, 4:16 pm #8

Hi, Has anyone anything at all,no matter how trivial,on RAF Skipton on Swale.Any stories,photographs or contact from anyone who served there(air or groundcrew) would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Hi , Your post interests me.
You will know that RCAF Squadrons operated from Skipton . The Flight Engineers were RAF .

I was a Flight Engineer with 433 Squadron from August 1944 to March 1945. The aircraft were Halifax 111's later converted to Lancasters. I took part in 30 missions flying in Halifax's, then Lancasters .

April 19th, 2005, 3:50 pm #9

Hello John, l was interested in your comments.Have l contacted you before or is your name familiar to me through 433 records?
Feel free to contact me off board.Would like to chat. Regards,Mike

Tom Harpell
Tom Harpell

October 1st, 2006, 6:17 pm #10

Thank you in advance.
My father, Allan Harpell was a bomb aimer on a Lancaster with Sqn. 424 at Skipton during WWII. My wife and I plane to visit within the next year or two and would like to see where my father served. Would you have any suggestions of where we should go. thanks

Confirmation of reply: