Skipton on Swale

Keith
Keith

November 6th, 2012, 10:32 am #41

Keith. I need an address to send you a copy.
richard
To Richard.k
Hi richard thanks for the phone call and image the problem is the chap in the photo is 99% not bill Fleming so for me this puts me back to the beginning when i thought i was almost there never mind, been here many times.

most importantly a VERY BIG thanks Richard

Frank
Frank

November 28th, 2012, 10:00 pm #42

Hi, Has anyone anything at all,no matter how trivial,on RAF Skipton on Swale.Any stories,photographs or contact from anyone who served there(air or groundcrew) would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Hi on a recent bike ride I passed thruogh skipton on Swale I took the track that lead to the airfield which Id been told about by a good old boy who I briefley got to know after just before he died.

I walked around the watch tower and absorbed the atmosphere of the place. how I wish there was a presevation order on these places. one point of interest was that one of the billet posts now a workshop still had original graffiti on the walls from the canadian airman who were posted there.
Frank

January 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm #43

My father, Allan Harpell was a bomb aimer on a Lancaster with Sqn. 424 at Skipton during WWII. My wife and I plane to visit within the next year or two and would like to see where my father served. Would you have any suggestions of where we should go. thanks
Hi Mike, Back in 2006 I wrote about visiting England and looking up airfields where my father served in the RCAF during WW2. You were kind enough to respond with an offer to show us around. We were unable to make the trip then but know that my wife and I are retired we are free to travel. We plan on being in the UK in July and retracing my fathers footsteps. We would love to meet you if your offer still stands after all this time and see some of the sights my father did. Looking forward to hearing from you, Thanks, Tom Harpell

Darlene (Dennstedt) Gordon

March 26th, 2013, 5:03 pm #44

Hi Tom, Nice to hear from you.My research has been quite extensive but alas,never ending with all the constant updates. Who was your fathers pilot?
lf you decide to visit l will be more than happy to give you a tour of the old airfield and the haunts of the crews.l have had so much information provided by ex aircrews of 424 and 433 squadrons as well as invaluable photographic copies,and am eternally grateful to all.The old airfield is quite run down these days,bombed and strafed by time,but enough remains to get the general picture of life in a quite Yorkshire hamlet.

Kind regards, Mike Pepe, Yorkshire, England
In 1996, my father, Bill Dennstedt wrote a book about his time at Skipton-on-Swale. His final flight was on April 22, 1944, when he and his crew flew to a mission to bomb Dusseldorf in Germany.
In April of this year my husband and I are travelling to Yorkshire and will spend a few days in the Skipton-on-Swale area. We would be very interested to meet you and have you take us around the old airfield and community.

Kindest Regards, Darlene

March 26th, 2013, 5:04 pm #45

Hi Tom, Nice to hear from you.My research has been quite extensive but alas,never ending with all the constant updates. Who was your fathers pilot?
lf you decide to visit l will be more than happy to give you a tour of the old airfield and the haunts of the crews.l have had so much information provided by ex aircrews of 424 and 433 squadrons as well as invaluable photographic copies,and am eternally grateful to all.The old airfield is quite run down these days,bombed and strafed by time,but enough remains to get the general picture of life in a quite Yorkshire hamlet.

In 1996, my father, Bill Dennstedt wrote a book about his time at Skipton-on-Swale. His final flight was on April 22, 1944, when he and his crew flew to a mission to bomb Dusseldorf in Germany.
In April of this year my husband and I are travelling to Yorkshire and will spend a few days in the Skipton-on-Swale area. We would be very interested to meet you and have you take us around the old airfield and community.

Kindest Regards, Darlene

March 26th, 2013, 5:21 pm #46

Hi Mike,

My father, Bill Dennstedt, navigator, was based at Skipton during the war. On his last mission to Dusseldorf on April 22, 1944 his Halifax bomber was shot down. The pilot was killed in the crash, five crewmambers became Prisoners of War while Dad evaded and escaped into Belgium where he remained for 4.5 months.
My husband and I are travelling to Yorkshire on April 23-24th this Spring and we would be very interested in having you take us around the old airbase and immediate community. If you are able to help us out, please contact me at the enclosed email.

Kindest Regards, Darlene

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 22nd, 2013, 4:27 pm #47

Hi on a recent bike ride I passed thruogh skipton on Swale I took the track that lead to the airfield which Id been told about by a good old boy who I briefley got to know after just before he died.

I walked around the watch tower and absorbed the atmosphere of the place. how I wish there was a presevation order on these places. one point of interest was that one of the billet posts now a workshop still had original graffiti on the walls from the canadian airman who were posted there.
Frank
Re: skipton on swale

Bill Boyes
Bill Boyes

May 22nd, 2014, 9:58 am #48

Hi Linzee, Researching for a possible book.
Was born at Skipton 1949,virtually grew up on the old airfield so it is of special interest.Still go back there from time to time to soak up the atmosphere.
Hi mick.My parents lived on the airfield after the war.My father worked on it during the war as a civilian.I still have his ID card.He lived with his parents in sandhutton during the war,and was also a member of the local homeguard.Regards Bill Boyes.

Trisha Kelly
Trisha Kelly

June 16th, 2014, 3:23 am #49

Kindest Regards, Darlene
Hello Darlene,
I am the niece of Pilot Officer John Arthur Bourgeault, who was the pilot of Squadron 433 the night your Dad went down. He was KIA. Among my memorabilia I have a copy of a letter written in your Dad's handwriting that he sent to my Grandparents in Nov 1944. I also have a copy of a postcard from Tom Miller, another crew member who was POW in East Prussia. Would you please contact me via my email address? Thank you.

December 21st, 2017, 4:18 pm #50

Keith. I need an address to send you a copy.
richard
Hi Richard

Long ago you sent me a photo of the crew which I was told
by my uncle was not my father uncle James was very old
but as he met my father I had to believe him
it turns out the crew you sent including Bill Fleming
his name was Wallace really but he used Bill
any way that was him and a very late thanks

Confirmation of reply: