Seeking 518 Squadron info

Seeking 518 Squadron info

April 26th, 2004, 8:34 am #1

Hi, am seeking info about Squadron 518 - history.& for info about my uncle, William Arthur Graham RAAF Warrant Officer,Service No: 421205 {Australian} who went down in Halifax LL186 {crashed with another plane}over Tiree. Have just found theCommonwealth graves records but thats about all. Would like to know what 518 actually did during the war. Can someone direct me to a decent history please. Also if anyone has information - knew him or of him. Would like to hear from you.
Thanks. ps great site.
Sharon Perrin.

Paul
Paul

April 26th, 2004, 9:18 am #2

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn500-520.htm

15 Group Coastal Command

No 518 Squadron

Formed at Stornoway on 9 July 1943, to conduct meteorological reconnaissance duties, it was equipped with Halifax Vs. Its carried out long range weather recce lights up to 700 miles into the Atlantic but mainly around Shetland and in the Norwegian Sea above the Arctic Circle.

Moving to Tiree in September 1943, it began to receive Halifax IIIs in March 1945, the last Vs leaving in August. The following month it moved to Aldergrove, Northern Ireland, where it received some Spitfires and Hurricanes, operating these three types until 1 October 1946 when it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 202 Squadron.

Motto: Tha An Iuchair Againn-Ne (We hold the key)

Squadron Codes used: -

FM Allocated Apr 1939 - Sep 1939
Y3 Jun 1944 - Oct 1946

No 518 Squadron Association

Aircraft & Markings

Ross McNeill
Ross McNeill

April 27th, 2004, 9:29 am #3

Hi, am seeking info about Squadron 518 - history.& for info about my uncle, William Arthur Graham RAAF Warrant Officer,Service No: 421205 {Australian} who went down in Halifax LL186 {crashed with another plane}over Tiree. Have just found theCommonwealth graves records but thats about all. Would like to know what 518 actually did during the war. Can someone direct me to a decent history please. Also if anyone has information - knew him or of him. Would like to hear from you.
Thanks. ps great site.
Sharon Perrin.
Hi Sharon,

16/08/44
No.518 Sqn
Halifax V
LL186
Coded M

Took off from RAF Tiree at 13:04 on a training flight.

P/O K W Organ
P/O B W Smith
F/O K Oates
Sgt A Marshall
Sgt P G Smith
F/O J A Peterson RAAF
F/Sgt W A Graham RAAF
F/Sgt R V Cresswell

Collided with Halifax LL296 in cloud in the circuit and crashed in flames at Tiree at 13:22 hrs.

Draft entry from RAF Coastal Command Losses, Vol 3

Regards
Ross

April 28th, 2004, 1:10 pm #4

Hi Ross, Thanks so much for all your information. It's great, and I have more to go on now. I'd like to say to everyone here that I'm very impressed with this site and people therein and the responses.{In comparaison I've also been researching on my grandfather's army war history for several years with painfully slow results.}So you guys are the best!. When I get their web pages finally built, will put a link to here on them.
Thanks again.
Sharon.

April 28th, 2004, 1:36 pm #5

Paul, thank you very much for the great information, and the link to the Royal Air Force Organisational History pages. I'm very much obliged. It's been very helpful.
Best wishes from Australia.
Sharon

Barry Bradley
Barry Bradley

September 10th, 2006, 5:25 am #6

Thanks. ps great site.
Sharon Perrin.
Hi, Sharon Perrin,
Have just found this site.
My father died in a mid air collision over Tiree in August 1944.
I have some information that may interest you.
Please drop me a line.
Barry Bradley

Kris
Kris

September 13th, 2006, 12:19 pm #7

Hi again.
I have been looking at my info and I guess your father was WAG WO2 P Bradley,RCAF.
It must have been terrible for you and your family.
Regards Kris.

Peter Rackliff
Peter Rackliff

May 22nd, 2009, 11:30 am #8

Thanks. ps great site.
Sharon Perrin.
Sharron
Have recently been in contact with Brian Booth (Monbryth) and Terry McKee (El Tell).
I have just finished my investigation and report on the tragic accident at Tiree - 518 Met Squadron. If you would like a copy please give me a forwarding (postal ) address and will oblige.
Regards
Peter R.
pr@btinternet.com

Ann McGonigal
Ann McGonigal

March 10th, 2010, 10:30 am #9

Thanks. ps great site.
Sharon Perrin.
Hi Sharon

My father was in 518 and he would be happy to speak with you. I live in Miatland NSW but he is in Canberra.

Regards
Ann

Doug
Doug

January 5th, 2011, 1:29 am #10

Thanks. ps great site.
Sharon Perrin.
Sharon,

My father-in-law was an Engineering Officer with the 518 Squadron for several years. He is alive and well and living in Redondo Beach, California. For the last year he has been working on his personal history in the RAF. He does not remember your Uncle but he remembers the accident. He would be happy to share his knowledge of the 518 with you.

Take care

Doug

Confirmation of reply: