Post war 51 squadron

April 29th, 2018, 6:12 pm #1

At the immediate end of hostilities which saw the bulk of Bomber Command re-assigned to Transport Command, my father was posted out of 77 sqdn at Full Sutton to 51 sqdn at Leconfield.

When hostilities ended, 51 squadron was moved from RAF Snaith to RAF Leconfield where my father joined them. 51 Sqdn continued to operate their Halifaxes, hurriedly modified from “B” MkIII to “C” MkIII, a cargo variant for a short period before the squadron moved south to RAF Stradishall and were re-equipped with the Stirling MkV.

While he was operational at both 76 and 77 squadrons, the names of the full crew were listed on each squadron ORB’s but once he was posted to 51, now a transport squadron only the captain of the aircraft was listed on the ORB.

While at 51 sqdn his pilot was Flt.Lt. Arthur St.John Price and my father was F/O D.E.Walters, flight engineer.
Is anybody able to put names to the other three members of the crew (only 5 crew since the 2 gunners had been withdrawn) from any records or is there any way I could find out for myself, please.

Thank you in advance.
Brian Walters

Confirmation of reply: