Newspaper Cuttings . . Halifax bombing of Caen

June 23rd, 2018, 11:23 am #11

terrihopkin wrote: terrihopkin:
I dont know if this is of interest to anyone, so I thought I would put it out there anyway . . . .

Amongst my dad's papers I came across a cutting from a 1944 newspaper . . it is entitled Front Line View of a City's Destruction and it refers to the raid on Caen in July 1944.  (My dad's log shows his involvement, so it was of obvious significance.)

It starts . . .

My dearest Mother, Since it is now fourteen days after the one and only really exciting thing that happened here . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

At about 9pm on the Friday I was coming out of my office, and I noticed that the air was rather more full than usual of the sound of planes.  The sound was different; not the swift swish of the fighters which are always with us, but the pulsing drone of the heavy stuff.  

So I looked out to sea.  And there a sight met my eyes which you wont believe.  As far as the human eye could see there were four engined bombers.  They came in a long slow procession, slowly, deliberately, tier upon tier.  In front of them were the pathfinders, the planes that drop flares and what not............

It seemed to me, standing watching that no living thing could ever pass through that barrage alive.  It seemed that there was no part of the sky that was not riddled with fire.

I looked back towards the sea and the big bombers were just pouring in, just as slowly and for all the world like old men, going for a stroll.  Only they were rather sinister old men.

I cant deny that I closed my eyes for two seconds and prayed hard.  I prayed that some of them might be spared through the frightfulness of all that death being hurled up at them . . . . . .

The above is just an extract, give me a shout if anyone wants the full article.

I would love a copy of the full article you quoted from.

I stumbled on this site and your post while looking for articles about my uncle Sgt MHJ White, who was Radio Operator / Rear Gunner in Lancaster ND 517 on that raid on Caen in July 1944.

I do hope you still check your posts!

Sarah White

Lancaster
Lancaster

June 23rd, 2018, 12:05 pm #12

Hi Sarah.
This is the only information I have that was passed to me by Mr MHJ White a few years ago and the remainder by searching the web.

June 23rd, 2018, 12:12 pm #13

COh, have you attached something? I can't see it. Sorry, I'm new and only joined in order to reply.
You wrote that you'd just posted an extract, and to contact you for the full article. I don't suppose you can remember it mow?

So uou knew my uncle Maurice when he was alive?

Confirmation of reply: