Information on losses/destinations

May 29th, 2010, 4:58 pm #1

On the night of July 3rd/4th 1944, 148 Squadron, S.D./S.O.E. lost four aircraft, three were scheduled for Poland, and one for Yugoslavia, but there is controversy over who went where.

Listed below are the relevant entries, in the best sources. Can anyone offer any further information to throw more light on the confusion.

ORBs

W/O Blattman in JP179 P on Op 101A
W/O Fairweather in JP292 W on Op 401C
S/LDR S P Bird in JP286 S on Op Savanna101/Deerhurst
F/L Wood in JP247 E on Op Polish 106A

Flights of the Forgotten by Ken Merrick

W/O Blattman in JP179-P, F.T.R. 4/7/1944, Poland
W/O Fairweather in JP292-W F.T.R. 4/7/1944, Poland
S/LDR S P Bird in JP286 F.T.R. 4/7/1944, Warsaw
F/L Wood in JP247-E, F.T.R 3/7/1944, Yugoslavia

Luftwaffe Records

W/O Blattman in JP179-P, shot down Yugoslavia, (confirmed by Royal Hungarian Police)
W/O Fairweather in JP292-W shot down Yugoslavia, (confirmed by Royal Hungarian Police)
S/LDR S P Bird in JP286 shot down Hungary, (confirmed by Royal Hungarian Police)
F/L Wood in JP247-E, shot down Yugoslavia, (confirmed by Royal Hungarian Police)

All confirmed from gendarmerie reports (of the) Royal Hungarian police, Zombor, (Sombor), station, (this may possibly be a headquarters)

Operations

101a, (Poland): Confirmed ORBs. Confirmed Merrick. Confirmed Blattman, who survived the war.

401c, (Poland): Un-confirmed by ORBs. Confirmed Merrick, Missing, no survivors

Savanna101/Deerhurst (Warsaw, Hungary, Yugoslavia): Un-confirmed by ORBs. Warsaw Confirmed Merrick, Missing, no survivors.

106a (Yugoslavia): Un-confirmed by ORBs, (ORBs indicate Poland). Confirmed Merrick, Missing, no survivors.

Losses, (from the ORBs)

3 missing from Poland operations
1 missing form Yugoslavian operations

Destinations

101a Consensus of opinion: Confirmed Poland

401c Consensus of opinion: Unconfirmed Poland, possibly Yugoslavia

Savanna101/Deerhurst Consensus of opinion: Too ambiguous to confirm any destination!

106a Consensus of opinion: Unconfirmed but possibly Poland, but not Yugoslavia

Any one with any constructive ideas?

Terry M

Frances
Frances

May 30th, 2010, 6:15 am #2

Terry

According to Bieniecki -

JP179 "P" (Blattman) crashed in Yugoslavia, crew buried in Belgrade

JP247 "E" (Wood) crashed in Yugoslavia, (Vukovar), crew buried in Belgrade

JP292 "W" (Fairweather) crashed in Yugoslavia, crew buried in Belgrade

Nothing for JP286

Cheers

Frances

May 31st, 2010, 8:39 am #3

Thanks Frances,

That's what I've got too!

Four aircraft reported missing by the ORB's: 3 F.T.R. Poland, 1 F.T.R. Yugoslavia

What I'm looking for is any indication on who was doing the Yugoslavia mission mentioned in the ORBS and went 'missing'?

Blattman, and Woods are both listed as 'Poland' missions, and Bird (JP286) who had an 'SOE team' on board, was shot down over Kaposvar, Hungary, on a heading that would have eventually took him to Warsaw, and I have some unverified evidence that his flight was listed for Warsaw

Assuming that his 'SOE team' drop was on Kaposvar, as they were not on board when the aircraft came down, 10 km NNE of Kaposvar, and one of the SOE team, Lt. A. Vincent, (real name Vass, born in Hungary), is listed KIA, 23rd Dec 1944, 5 months later!

Which only leaves Fairweather as the missing Yugoslavia aircraft, and I am seeking to verify this aspect. All of my evidence points to it, but there is no conclusive, concrete proof, as the ORB's do not specify a destination.

Does Bieniecki specify Poland for Fairweather?

And, more importantly, does he give a source?

If he is quoting the ORB's then he is in the same predicament as I am!

They are inconclusive, and give no destination for operation 401c!

We know Op 401a went to Poland, it's in the ORB's. Does this indicate that 401c did too, and was "401", a 'target' DZ?

Terry

Frances
Frances

May 31st, 2010, 12:19 pm #4

Terry

Here is the text from Bieniecki's book (page 477, 1994) about Halifax JP 292

"Samolot został zestrzelony nad Jugosławią w drodze na placówkę 'Sójka' 401, położoną u podnóża Mogielicy. Załoga poniosła śmierć i pochowana jest na BCW w Belgradzie".

The translation (Google)
"The plane was shot down over Yugoslavia on the way to 'Jay' 401 base, situated at the foot of Mogielica. The crew died and is buried at the BCW in Belgrade".

Mogielica is the highest peak in the Beskidy Mountains in Poland, part of the Carpathians and is south of Krakow.

Cheers

Frances

May 31st, 2010, 12:43 pm #5

Thats terrific Frances!

This tells us that 401 is a base called "JAY" situated at the foot of Mogielica I've just done a 'flight path' on Google Earth, and the shoot down point is 1.71 miles East of the course that would have taken them there! The ex-navigator in me says that after 350 miles, that could be attributed to wind 'drift'. That's pretty good flying! I'm wondering if I can get a wind direction and strength for the area for the night.

You say on your direct to me that his source is AIR 27/996, which is the official designation of the ORB's! So he must have had additional sources, since the ORB's don't give this information, I wonder who!

CSBC
CSBC

August 8th, 2018, 9:18 am #6

I have inherited a lot of pre-war correspondence to an uncle, which includes many letters from a Martin Wright, and one bundle is marked "RJMW". Is it possible to find if these are the same person:
3/4.7.44: Aircraft: Halifax, JP286-S, “S-Sugar” (Op Savanna101/Deerhurst)
S/L. Surray Philip Victor Bird, R.A.F.V.R. Pilot.
P/O. Harold Pearson, R.A.F. Flight Engineer.
F/Sgt. Peter Lake, R.A.F.V.R. Navigator.
W/O. Donal David Charles Stewart, R.C.A.F. Air Bomber. F/Sgt. Arthur Archer Lee, R.A.F.V.R. Wireless Op.
F/Sgt. Ronald Radford, R.A.F.V.R. Air Gunner.
F/O. Kenneth Peter Mcleod Cran, R.A.F.V.R. Air Gunner. F/Sgt. Marcel Tilmont, R.A.F.V.R. Air Gunner.
Passengers: Lt. Col. E.P.E. Boughay. Maj. R.J.M. Wright. Lt. A. Vincent. Sgt. A.S. Manley.
Aircrew are buried at Budapest War Cemetery, Hungary 

CSBC
CSBC

August 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm #7

Forget the above, my man turns out to be R J M Wight, and a pacifist ...

Confirmation of reply: