Halifax on Test from Ringway

Halifax on Test from Ringway

November 18th, 2013, 6:40 pm #1

Anybody have details of an incident on 11th or 18th March 1944 (the dates may not be correct) when a Halifax on a test-flight from Ringway crashed in the Sandiway Cheshire district, killing the two occupants, civillian test Pilot R Huxley (buried Alerley Cheshire),& Eng Geoffrey A Leadbeater (buried Woodford) they may have been in Haliax's NA507 or LK802 or LK801 or not!.
Reported in the 11PAFU ORB RAF Calverley Cheshire. The report states "Ambulance called to a Halifax crash. The aircraft which was on a test flight from Ringway crashed in flames. Both occupants a civillian pilot and engineer killed instantly. The bodies were removed to the police mortuary at Winsford."
As this aircraft had not been allocated to the RAF, it has been difficult to find the facts.

Many Thanks,
Rol

January 26th, 2014, 6:53 pm #2

The pilot of this aircraft was my father. The date of the crash was March the 18th and the serial number of the aircraft according to the death certificate was LK 836 or LK826. I am interested in where you got the place of burial since my father was buried in the graveyard at St. Leonard's church Turners Hill sussex. The crash site was in Lob Slack field Oakmere, Cheshire.

Sincerely

David Huxley

Mike Spathaky
Mike Spathaky

August 2nd, 2016, 3:03 am #3

My father Ron Spathaky (1914-2013) witnessed this crash. On 19th March 1944 he wrote to my mother from Heffersden Grange as follows:

Yesterday I went for a long walk away from the hospital towards Delamere, a little village I used to know... On the way back I saw an aeroplane accident, but I'd better not say anything about it in case it's security...

I expect you will find this snippet tantalising. I can assure you that there is nothing more about this accident in any of his letters and he never mentioned it to me duruing his (long) life. Then he never talked much about his wartime service at all.

Best Wishes,

Mike Spathaky

Confirmation of reply: