Halifax Bomber Sounds

Halifax Bomber Sounds

June 3rd, 2015, 1:22 pm #1

Good Morning,

My grandfather was Bomber Command in 102 Squadron. He was mid upper gunner in the Halifax. Based at Pocklington
He sadly past away yesterday at the age of 90.

Together with my mother I am arranging things for the funeral. He didn't embrace the war and what they did, 'Did what we had to do' he always said. However he was VERY passionate about the aircraft and my childhood was spent at air shows with him. He even recently built an airfix Halifax and painted it all. Even fabricating his own stand from spare parts.

I am very keen to have some Halifax sounds for the funeral. I have been to the Yorkshire Museum a number of times and am also contacting them.

Would anyone have access to the sounds of a Halifax engine? Be it the engine running or, preferably, one flying over head as this would be like his own fly past. Anything in any format would be so appreciated.

I do not have a date for the funeral but as i'm sure you can appreciate i'm keen to get this sorted very quickly.

I can be contacted @ jam80@btinternet.com

I thank you in advance for your help and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

James Culpin

June 3rd, 2015, 5:07 pm #2

Hi

Not a Halifax sound, but could be appropriate at an ex WW2 aircrew members funeral, very popular during the war - "Coming In On a Wing and A Prayer", sung by Ann Shelton, the lesser known forces sweetheart to Vera Lynn.

Hope this may help if you can't find the Halifax sounds you are looking for.

If you are contacting YAM at Elvington, speak to Ian Reed the Museum Director, unfortunately 'Friday The Thirteenth' is static and the engines do not work.

Regards

Tony

June 9th, 2015, 4:32 am #3

Good Morning,

My grandfather was Bomber Command in 102 Squadron. He was mid upper gunner in the Halifax. Based at Pocklington

Together with my mother I am arranging things for the funeral. He didn't embrace the war and what they did, 'Did what we had to do' he always said. However he was VERY passionate about the aircraft and my childhood was spent at air shows with him. He even recently built an airfix Halifax and painted it all. Even fabricating his own stand from spare parts.

I am very keen to have some Halifax sounds for the funeral. I have been to the Yorkshire Museum a number of times and am also contacting them.

Would anyone have access to the sounds of a Halifax engine? Be it the engine running or, preferably, one flying over head as this would be like his own fly past. Anything in any format would be so appreciated.

I do not have a date for the funeral but as i'm sure you can appreciate i'm keen to get this sorted very quickly.

Kind Regards

James Culpin
email sent

June 17th, 2015, 9:59 am #4

Good Morning,

Kind Regards

James Culpin
Hello James,

Condolences on the death of your grandfather.

A number of years ago I visited YAM with my daughter and were invited into the Halifax before all the restrictions were imposed. We were taken on a virtual flight by one of the restorers who played the sounds of a Blackburn Beverley which had very similar sounding engines to the Mk111 Halifax.

If your grandfather was on the squadron before May 1944 (when they re-equipped with Mk111s) then he will have flown in a Merlin engined Halifax and there will be sounds on the internet of Lancasters which would have sounded much the same (I stand to be corrected on this).

The guy to talk to at YAM is Dr John Wright, Head of the Collections and Archives Department. He gave a brilliant and very well informed talk at our reunion dinner last month in Pocklington. He is only in the office certain days but they will tell you if you ring the YAM phone number.

I would like to put a brief obituary to your grandfather in the "Not Forgotten" section of our next newsletter if you agree. Please contact me on skularatneATaolDOTcom.

Kind regards,

Simon Kularatne
Secretary
102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association

Confirmation of reply: