Halifax 2 JD413 KN -G 77 sqn found

Halifax 2 JD413 KN -G 77 sqn found

Derek Hopkins
Derek Hopkins

August 19th, 2005, 9:19 pm #1

Re the above;
My father James Hopkins was the Flight engineer on this aircraft which was hit by flak on its return from ops on Berlin on 31/8/43.It was on three engines and off course due to a mis-aligned compass. My father,Jack Leicester(navigator) and the Wireless op? were able to bale out,sadly the rest of the crew perished as did wireless op who died from burns several days later. Both my father and jack Leicester are in good health. Harry Shinkfield 77 squadron secretary kindly informed my father re the recovery. The recovery of the aircraft was supervised by a Dr Wachtel, who I cannot thank enough for his interest and co-operation, keeping my father informed.The local Newspaper at the recovery site The Dattelner Morgen Post have run many stories on the incident and again the reporter concerned, Bjorn Korte, has been most helpful. Only the Birmingham Evening Mail in the UK has thought the story to be newsworthy.

Although the pilot,P/O Wilson ( Australian )has a grave at Klieve I understand that his remains were found in the wreckage and Dr Wachtel has made efforts to trace relatives,It is hoped there will be an appropriate interment in due course

I will ask my father to post some information on this site as clearly he can speak with more authority than I can !

Col Tigwell
Col Tigwell

February 7th, 2008, 5:45 am #2

Trying to peace together the full story of the demise of JD413.

I am a aviation history buff from Australia, and my lady is a daughter from the second marriage of the wife of the pilot Flt/Lt John Wilson.

Over the years, not much has come down this way, and when the aircraft remains were found, it appeared as if the RAAF could not find John Wilson's son.

I am most anxious to make contact with Dr Wachtel, who appears to have played a major role in the recovery.

Can anyone tell me how I can make contact with him.

Any other feedback on this shoot down would be appreciated

Thanks

Col Tigwell email herkman@bigpond.com

Linzee
Linzee

February 7th, 2008, 9:41 am #3

Col Tigwell, you could try e-mailing Derek Hopkins (who made the first post above) directly as he may have the contact details you are looking for. If you point and click your mouse on Dereks name at the top right hand side of his first post it should give you an e-mail address for him.

Best of luck and keep us posted here on how things progress.

Linzee

Col Tigwell
Col Tigwell

February 22nd, 2008, 9:50 pm #4

The story is coming together well, and we hope that by the end of March it will be complete.

Once done we will tell all.

Thanks to all who have helped

Regards

Col

Peter Evans
Peter Evans

December 18th, 2017, 2:34 pm #5

Re the above;
My father James Hopkins was the Flight engineer on this aircraft which was hit by flak on its return from ops on Berlin on 31/8/43.It was on three engines and off course due to a mis-aligned compass. My father,Jack Leicester(navigator) and the Wireless op? were able to bale out,sadly the rest of the crew perished as did wireless op who died from burns several days later. Both my father and jack Leicester are in good health. Harry Shinkfield 77 squadron secretary kindly informed my father re the recovery. The recovery of the aircraft was supervised by a Dr Wachtel, who I cannot thank enough for his interest and co-operation, keeping my father informed.The local Newspaper at the recovery site The Dattelner Morgen Post have run many stories on the incident and again the reporter concerned, Bjorn Korte, has been most helpful. Only the Birmingham Evening Mail in the UK has thought the story to be newsworthy.

Although the pilot,P/O Wilson ( Australian )has a grave at Klieve I understand that his remains were found in the wreckage and Dr Wachtel has made efforts to trace relatives,It is hoped there will be an appropriate interment in due course

I will ask my father to post some information on this site as clearly he can speak with more authority than I can !

Hi,..... I realize this is a very old post.

My mother mentioned your Dad yesterday, her name is Barbara Evans (nee Meakin), she is the Daughter of your Dad's sister (Edna).... rather long winded! We were visiting my parents and my partner is putting a family tree together for them both. She knew her Uncle Jimmy had been a POW (and in the RAF), but didn't know any of the details. It did not take long to find them and we have updated her and sent her details and photos of the burial service. Pete.

Confirmation of reply: