Hali HX313

October 13th, 2017, 1:52 am #11

Hello Andy

I am SO sorry that I didn't know about your posting. I hope you are still connected to this site.

Since I posted, much has happened:

• I was contacted by Hans Volders (see above), a young Belgian fellow whose uncle attended the scene that night while resistance workers were looking for survivors
• With Han's information, I added the Belgian side of the story as well as updated facts about the three deaths to my PowerPoint
• I met with Hans and his friends this May -- they are all keen "historians" of HX313 and WWII in general. One man gave me a piece of the engine cowling that he found in a nearby field and they are all interested in helping me get a memorial erected
• I also met with Olivier Nicoloff, Canada's Ambassador to Belgium, in Brussels. He told me that while the Canadian government can't support the project in a financial way, he certainly would like to take part in any commemoration. His attache observed that the RCAF hasn't likely been represented in any memorials in Belgium.
• I am reaching out to Squadron 424 next to see if they will support the project. I am optimistic because the family of 408 Squadron Lancaster Bomber LL687 EQ*M erected a similar memorial in Bremervorde, Germany, this summer to honor the flyers of that downed plane.

Best wishes

Sue
sue.kershaw@shaw.ca

October 13th, 2017, 1:56 am #12

Hello readers,

Searching for coins, my friend and I found a compass dial on the site which later that day appeared to be the crasch sit of the Halifax mentioned.
This got me triggered, and has lead me to this forum.
Like Hans, I would also like to know more about the history and the people involved.
If you want, I can send you a picture of the dial we found. (can't find a way to post it here)
And Sue, if you want, I'd like to watch your PowerPoint presentation.

If my contact info isn't shown, you can mail me at carl.geubbelmans@telenet.be
Hello Carl

I am SO sorry I didn't notice your posting. I hadn't created a Network 54 account so wasn't notified of your reply. I hope you are still connected to this site, and I would love to send you my PowerPoint by DropBox.

Since I posted, much has happened:

• I was contacted by Hans Volders (see above), a young Belgian fellow whose uncle attended the scene that night while resistance workers were looking for survivors
• With Han's information, I added the Belgian side of the story as well as updated facts about the three deaths to my PowerPoint
• I met with Hans and his friends this May -- they are all keen "historians" of HX313 and WWII in general. One man gave me a piece of the engine cowling that he found in a nearby field and they are all interested in helping me get a memorial erected
• I also met with Olivier Nicoloff, Canada's Ambassador to Belgium, in Brussels. He told me that while the Canadian government can't support the project in a financial way, he certainly would like to take part in any commemoration. His attache observed that the RCAF hasn't likely been represented in any memorials in Belgium.
• I am reaching out to Squadron 424 next to see if they will support the project. I am optimistic because the family of 408 Squadron Lancaster Bomber LL687 EQ*M erected a similar memorial in Bremervorde, Germany, this summer to honor the flyers of that downed plane.

Best wishes

Sue
sue.kershaw@shaw.ca

Confirmation of reply: