432 Squadron

432 Squadron

May 8th, 2004, 3:42 pm #1

I have two pics of Halibags that flew with 432 (Leaside)Sqn, one was called 'UTOPIA', and the other has a biblical passage on it, 'Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low', Any info about these two would be gratefully recieved, such as serial number and code letter, i should be able to trace them after that, ops etc, when and if lost.
Thanks Guys
BearGunner

May 8th, 2004, 7:50 pm #2

Mmmn... "MY" babies!

"Every Field..." was Halifax NP694
"Utopia" was Halifax RG478

Let me know if you need more info
TTFN
Ian
57 RESCUE

May 9th, 2004, 4:26 pm #3

Thanks Ian, greatly appreciated. Managed to trace the info from there, code letters and the fact neither were lost on ops., NP694 QO-R completed 85 Ops!!!, RG478 QO-U 18 Ops.
I am researching 432 Sqdn 'cos my Grandfather was a Rear Gunner on Wellington X's until July '43, when he was injured on an op to Cologne. This really got me interested and decided to investigate the complete history of 432,from forming on 1st May '43 at Skipton on Swale, flying Wellington X's, moving to East Moor in Sept '43, converting to Lanc II's in Oct '43, then Halifax III's and then VII's from Feb '44 onwards. Fascinating.

I also noticed in the nose art section of this site, 432 has a good showing, including 'Queen of Them All', 'Devastating Dog', 'Moonlight Mermaid' and 'Klueless Kitty' to name a few. If you require any info on these, I'd be happy to oblige, but I'm sure you probably know more than me on these aircraft, LOL.
Great Site
regards
BearGunner

Ian
Ian

May 9th, 2004, 10:13 pm #4

My VERY FIRST Halifax encounter was that of NP707 "Willy the Wolf" (QO-W of 432 Sqn) and then I went on & on, to eventually write a small book about RAF Eastmoor, having spent a long time researching the base & it's resident squadrons. I fell for Willy the Wolf, to suhc an extent that I re-created her nose art in large format, taking it with me to the last "official" reunion of the "Eastmoor Family" at Sutton on the Forest, & got all the veterans present to sign their names on it. This was followed by doing a large size watercolour of Willy the Wolf sitting at the end of the runway at Eastmoor in Winter 1944, named "Winter Wolf", we (The C.O and myself) liked it so much that we took it to the print shop and got a number of prints made, which are still available (limited edition of 25 numbered prints!) The original hangs proudly on my hallway wall at home.
Keep in touch & if you need info, let me know, and if you have photo's of Hally's, then I would be interested to know about them, so I might be able to add them into the database at some point in the future.
Best wishes for now
Ian
57 RESCUE
(PS - Have you been to Eastmoor?)

Michael Morgan
Michael Morgan

February 17th, 2013, 10:58 am #5

Thanks Ian, greatly appreciated. Managed to trace the info from there, code letters and the fact neither were lost on ops., NP694 QO-R completed 85 Ops!!!, RG478 QO-U 18 Ops.
I am researching 432 Sqdn 'cos my Grandfather was a Rear Gunner on Wellington X's until July '43, when he was injured on an op to Cologne. This really got me interested and decided to investigate the complete history of 432,from forming on 1st May '43 at Skipton on Swale, flying Wellington X's, moving to East Moor in Sept '43, converting to Lanc II's in Oct '43, then Halifax III's and then VII's from Feb '44 onwards. Fascinating.

I also noticed in the nose art section of this site, 432 has a good showing, including 'Queen of Them All', 'Devastating Dog', 'Moonlight Mermaid' and 'Klueless Kitty' to name a few. If you require any info on these, I'd be happy to oblige, but I'm sure you probably know more than me on these aircraft, LOL.
Great Site
regards
BearGunner
The father of a good friend has just passed away. He flew on NP695 on its
last mission to Osnabruck December 6th 1944. The crew failed to return and six of the crew became POWs. Does anyone have any more information about Flt Sgt Julian Jonas RAF (known as Gerry or Gerald) who was "loaned" to the RCAF 432 sqdrn? Any details would be appreciated.

ross bradley
ross bradley

February 19th, 2013, 5:14 pm #6

Great Site
regards
BearGunner
hi any information on hailfax bomber moonlight mermaid QOM THANKS ROSS

ross bradley
ross bradley

February 19th, 2013, 5:15 pm #7

Great Site
regards
BearGunner

krashguard
krashguard

March 26th, 2013, 2:37 am #8

Hi, "Moonlight Mermaid" was a Halifax Mk. VII serial number NP689. She did 80+ operations before being shotdown on Mar. 15, 1945 to Hagen.

I was an honourary member of the 432 Squadron Association and knew many of the 432 Squadron boys, including Johnny Bright, an engineer who worked on and cared for Moonlight Mermaid.

Sadly, most of them passed on now.

We have some good photos of Moonlight Mermaid at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada, in case you are interested.

Cheers, krashguard

krashguard
krashguard

March 26th, 2013, 2:54 am #9

Ross, Just found this while searching the web:

At some point Eiler Villy Andersen (1923-1997) is posted to No. 432 Squadron, RCAF. On 15 March 1945 he participates in the attack on Hagen. Airborne at 1707 hours from RAF Station East Moor, Halifax (QO-M NP689 ‘Moonlight Mermaid’) and crew heads of the Hagen. The aircraft fails to return. The cause of the loss and the site is not established. [4]

Four of the crew are killed;

Flying Officer Stewart Millen Bonter, J.42472, RCAF KIA
Sergeant Douglas Colquhoun, 1681850, RAF executed
Sergeant D C Lawson, KIA
Sergeant Thomas Delmer Scott, J.95497, RCAF executed
Sgt Scott and Sgt D Colquhoun bail out, but a captured and executed by the Gestapo in Hagen. They are buried at Hagen (Remberg) Friedhof on 3 April 1945.

The rest of the crew, including Andersen, are injured and confined to hospital until the liberation;

Flying Officer H E Vachon, RCAF
Flying Officer A T Hincliffe, RCAF
Warrant Officer 2nd Class E V Andersen, RCAF

At least some crew survived! The executions I did not know about!!

Cheers, krashguard

November 12th, 2014, 4:17 am #10

My grandfather was Eiler Villy Andersen. He passed away in 1997. I have been looking for crew or family members for years but haven't had any luck. If you have any connections I would greatly appreciate it!!
Lori

Confirmation of reply: