428 Squadron involved in a crash in sweden??


May 8th, 2018, 8:51 pm #11

My uncle Thomas Jerry was the upper gunner on the flight. He was shot and bailed with the crew less Blake. He hung in a tree for a couple days, then freed himself and crawled to a farm house where the police were called and he spent time in detention/hospital. I'm also trying to find out more. My uncle refused to talk about it. Cheers, David Jerry

Joined: October 29th, 2004, 12:19 am

May 9th, 2018, 3:35 pm #12

Hi ABC, here is what I got from Bo Widfelt the yoda of Sweden for crashes of bombers during WW2, Cheers, Karl Kj.

1944-04-23                        Halifax Mk II                              NA-Z
       Listerlandet              LW285                                          428 (Ghost) Sqn
F / O W.V. Blake (P) RCAF MIA, Sgt J. Danskin (FE) RAF INT,
F / O W.D. Watt (BA) RCAF INT, F / O N.A. Bell (N) RCAF INT
W / O C. Graham (WO) RAF INT, Sgt T. Jerry (MUG) RCAF INT,
P / O J.T. Houston (TG) RCAF INT
Another of the countless minfällningar (dropping of mines) was conducted of 114 aircraft from Bomber Command during the night of 23/24 April 1944. The mines were convicted in different areas of the Baltic Sea. Parallel conducted 25 Mosquito an attack on Mannheim and 12 Stirling bombers attacked a railway facility in Brussels.
The night's loss to the RAF comprised four Halifax and Stirling. Halifax LW285 from 428 Sqn had started from Middleton St George in Yorkshire at 20:46 GMT + 2 and flew over the North Sea to Denmark. It passed over the coast of Sylt and crossed Jutland without problems. In the distance, the crew saw anti-aircraft fire. Ten minutes before reaching the precipitation area the aircraft was attacked by a Ju 88 from behind emerged from a blind position at the bottom left. Stern Sagittarius reported to the driver while he shot towards the hostile planet.
P / O Houston managed to get into an ointment with tracer in Ju 88 ans body. Halifaxplanet however, had been seriously hit by night fighter plane fire. Sgt Jerry in the upper body of the tower, was wounded in the left arm, shoulder and legs.
With leaky hydraulic system also opened the bomb doors. Internal Communication was out, so contact between the crew had to be done otherwise. After consultation with the crew decided the driver to steer towards Sweden. The mines were convicted as soon as the course is changed to 046 °. Despite full throttle the engines dropped the aircraft altitude. The driver's instrument panel was inoperative except the speedometer showing 285 km / h. Torn fabric covering on the control surfaces fluttered noisily in the wind and the aircraft was difficult to maneuver. Around 24:00 GMT + 2 aircraft reached the Swedish coast, where the crew saw the lighted villages and towns. Since the injured shooter would not be able to jump urged the driver crew to look out for a suitable landing field. When Sgt Jerry announced that he, despite injuries believed himself ready to jump did the crew ready for uthopp. The navigator tore maps and logbooks and let out the remains through the chute for the precipitation of aluminum strips (Window). When some anti-aircraft shells exploded away from the wingtip struck the flight engineer red lyspistolskott (flare gun). Stern Sagittarius helped Sgt Jerry, who now had severe pains and was shocked due to blood loss, getting on parachute. The whole crew was gathered in front of the plane where the driver even tense on his parachute. At about 2700 m altitude calls the driver crew to jump with the words; "Start the procession, I can't escape this thing all night." Before bombardier became the first man jumped, reinforced his detonator to GEE equipment. Then followed the injured shooter in the upper tower, the navigator, the telegraphist, flight engineer and aft shooter. If the driver F / O Blake took to rescue the door is not known. He is reported as missing.
The bombardier ended up in lake and were able to swim ashore. Others ended up near the water and survived. They soon had been collected by police and military and taken to Sölvesborg. During the day April 24 interrogated the crew and accommodated at the city's urban hotel. The following day they step on board the train towards Falun and Korsnäs accompanied by a Swedish army lieutenant. Sgt Jerry previously been to the doctor for treatment of his injuries remained hospitalized.
A diver was sent down to look for the driver who could not be found. In connection with the salvage attempt occurred a serious accident. Three ships from the Navy were gathered at the site. A diver had discovered a cylinder shaped object about 3 m long and with a diameter of 50 cm. Telephone communication with the vessels, he asks if the object to be salvaged. He was ordered to attach a wire to the object and was then hoisted before the lift began. When the diver then stand on the deck and get help to take off the diving equipment occurs a violent explosion that rips off the stern of one of the ships. Probably destroyed the rest of the aircraft and the continuing salvage operation was canceled. Probably had a 700 kg mine has been left hanging in the bomb room and it was this that now detonated. That no one was killed or injured in connection with the salvage effort must be regarded as pure luck.
The five crew members arrived in Falun on 26 April and Sgt Jerry could connect a few days later. F / O Bell wrote a report dated May 5, 1944 for the entire event which was sent to the British flygattachén (Flight attaché) in Stockholm, which then sent the report on to the Air Ministry in London. The crew were detained at the Solliden hotel until 10 October when they traveled to Stockholm Bromma to fly back to England.

Confirmation of reply: