August 2nd, 2017, 12:35 pm #11

298 Sqdn went from Tarrant Rushden to Raipur India July 1945, then Bilaspur after cracking up the runway at Raipur. Moved later to Digri near Salbani later in year. Did various jobs like taking a mobile interogation unit to Singapore just after the Jap surrender. Played quite an important part in the Rice Drop Feb 1946 Northen Burma,flying out of Myktila on a poor runway with maximum loads including a pannier with 50% of the load stowed for off loading at Myitkina after a freefall drop of rice sacks at the DZ near the Chinese border for the Kachins I think. Unit ended up at Risalpur near Peshawar and Mauripur before I came home in Nov 1946.
Interesting! I would like to hear more. Were you aircrew? What was your role? What was the serial letter on your aircraft?

August 30th, 2018, 9:42 pm #12

Lawes wrote:
My dad passed away this year and we never broached the subject of his involvement in WWII.
All I know is that he was a rear gunner and did a couple of years in India. Don't mind paying for info but
refuse to sign up to these subscription based ancestry sites. Basically just want to find out his existence
In the RAF! Hope somebody can help me out.
298 Squadron in India had a good time, and he was lucky to be sent to the Far East instead of doing night bombing raids on German cities.

By the time they moved out, although still at war, the Japanese had been beaten and the squadron's role was one of supply. They flew 'The Hump' to supply Chiang Kai-shek's army in Chungking. They dropped rice and leaflets in Burma.

There are a lot of lovely photos posted online by a woman whose father was a mechanic with the squadron.

All the aircraft were sold for scrap in Bombay and they travelled home by troop ship.

If you tell me his name, I can ask my dad if he remembers your dad.
Sorry for digging up a really old thread, but I've recently discovered my Grandfather's RAF history and he was an LAC Fitter 2 Engines (Acting Corporal) in 298 Sqdn and was in India from Jul 1945 (although looking at the record went over to 68 MFH in 08/45, assume because they needed help there) - but I saw this post and would be really interested to see the photos that have been mentioned, and any other interesting info anyone might have :-)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

August 30th, 2018, 9:55 pm #13

There are 50 or so really good pictures posted in an album by the granddaughter of one of the mechanics attached to the squadron. Easy to find if you google ‘298 Squadron India photos’ etc.

Dad, who was a flight engineer, said the aircrew and mechanics didn’t spend much time together so there is no pic of him. Hopefully you’ll find a nice photo of your grandad there.

Confirmation of reply: