1652 HCU

January 12th, 2016, 1:04 pm #1

My father Kenneth Ross Pay DFC spent part of his war stationed with 1652 HCU at Marston Moor. I believe he flew some sorties for them (I gather the Unit flew 42 ops during 1942 for example).

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get copies or downloads of Ops Record Books for HCU's? The search facility at the National Archives only allows for search by reference to squadron number.

Thanks.

January 12th, 2016, 8:28 pm #2

If you search on "41 Base" on the National Archive site, you will find the 43-45 records for Marston Moor.

Regards

Pete

January 12th, 2016, 9:38 pm #3

Fantastic. Thanks Pete, much obliged.
Andy

January 12th, 2016, 11:13 pm #4

I am not sure how the strange links have been added to my last post, but please ignore them

Regards

Pete

August 19th, 2017, 5:22 pm #5

My father Kenneth Ross Pay DFC spent part of his war stationed with 1652 HCU at Marston Moor. I believe he flew some sorties for them (I gather the Unit flew 42 ops during 1942 for example).

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get copies or downloads of Ops Record Books for HCU's? The search facility at the National Archives only allows for search by reference to squadron number.

Thanks.
I came across this thread whilst researching my grandad's service. He was at Marston Moor in 1941/42 (and served with Leonard Cheshire when the latter was attached to HCU1652 during the 1000 bomber raids on Cologne, Essen and Bremen). I have found this on National Archives' website:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/C7160902

I'm going down in a couple of weeks to view it.

Did you find anything of your father's time there?

April 15th, 2018, 2:11 pm #6

Rhodester1972 wrote:

Thanks.
I came across this thread whilst researching my grandad's service. He was at Marston Moor in 1941/42 (and served with Leonard Cheshire when  the latter was attached to HCU1652 during the 1000 bomber raids on Cologne, Essen and Bremen). I have found this on National Archives' website:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/C7160902

I'm going down in a couple of weeks to view it.

Did you find anything of your father's time there?
My father "survived" two postings at 1652 HCU in 1944, the first was for the usual aircrew battle training and crew assignment following his technical training at 4 S of TT at RAF St Athan. The second posting was following a crash landing at Woodbridge while returning from the raid on the Opel vehicle works at Russelsheim in August '44. During the second training posting he received some advanced flight engineer training and looking at his logbook some "second pilot" training in the Link trainer. There was also the assignment to a new squadron and crew too.

Regarding HCU's being assigned to ops, that didn't happen often, they were classed as "Training Units" but in the case of the 1000 bomber raids, Bomber Command wasn't able to put up that many aircraft from operational squadrons so it was not unknown for the HCU's to be called on to make up the numbers.

Confirmation of reply: