Steve Andrews
Steve Andrews

September 14th, 2013, 10:48 pm #11

Hi Karen
You would be very welcome at the Yahoo group dedicated to 148 Squadron for the time you are talking about.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/oper ... info?tab=s
Will be able to get you signed up and sort a folder for any info you want to share. Also post your research and I'm sure we will be able to help.
Steve A

November 11th, 2015, 7:25 pm #12

Dear Terry

Firstly - thank you very much for setting up this forum.

I don't think I can help with your search but I hope you may be interested in my information. My father, alive but may not be for long, was a navigator with 148 Squadron from June 1944 until April 1945. He flew on Wellington, Stirling and Halifax aircraft. His pilot was Bert Hanmore (they called themselves Hanmore's heros!). Bert died a few years ago in Basingstoke UK. The other crew were Lloyd MacDonald ( a Canadian from St Stephen now sadly suffering from Alzheimers), Cam Currie (also Canadian), Jim Hillier from London England (my father has lost touch with him and I haven't been able to trace him but no record of his death) A Ross and Ron. My father's name is Walter Potts from London England.

One of the crew - possibly Cam - took lots of photos and gave copies to my father. Many of these are shots of the aircraft in flight but there are some photos of crew - and some of these photos were of other crews. We still have the album. Bert sprained his ankle at one point and couldn't fly. My father then flew with other crews until Bert was back.

If any contributors know Ron's surname that would be appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in the photos I may be able to scan copies.

Kind regards
Ann
Ann,
I am overwhelmed with joy that I have found your posting. And so fitting on Remembrance day too. I hope this forum is still checked (fingers crossed).

My Grandpa Cam flew with the 148 out of Blida, Algeria. All I have had for information were the photos passed down. You are absolutely right that he took pictures and they are fantastic. I only have 5 of them, and would be happy to share with anyone who has interest. Ann, would you be able to share the ones you have - that perhaps I may not?

He also flew with the 624 out of England/Northern France and am wondering if any of the same crew were with him there? Campbell Currie, born in Scotland 1916, passed away in Alberta, Canada in 1989 (If I remember correctly).
Thanks kindly,
Sharon

November 11th, 2015, 7:39 pm #13

Ann,
These are the crew names,
W/O A.J. Hanmore.
F/Sgt J.R. Hillier.
F/Sgt W.F. Potts.
Sgt A. Rose.
Sgt R. McAlister.
F/Sgt C. Currie.
F/Sgt L.B. McDonald.

Would love scans of the photo's if possible.
Regards...Alan.
Alan,
f/Sgt C. Currie is my Grandpa Campbell Currie from Canada (born in Scotland). Here is a photo of him and his crew in Blida, Algeria 1944. Can people help me identify them?
(Rear Gunner Campbell Currie is on the far right when viewing photo).

November 12th, 2015, 3:44 pm #14

Hello All,
I found out Cam wrote on the back of the airplane photo: "Crew, Ron, Jim, Wally, Bert, Al, Mac and Cam". So, here is an updated photo with name listing. The second photo with Green writing - I have guessed by face association of who they are (I think I have them correct - but if not, please correct.) Thanks!

Bradley Jones
Bradley Jones

January 13th, 2016, 11:05 am #15

"Hi all,

As some of you may be aware. I am searching for information on 148 Squadron, (Special Duties-S.O.E), R.A.F, and my cousin who was lost in the shoot-down of Halifax JP292-FS-W, "W-William", and there are posts re:that, on other parts of this forum.

Whilst my personal search is now almost over, there are others, in similar circumstances, reasearching their own lost ones. There is literally NO, forum for that particular period in R.A.F. - S.O.E. history, for the period of WWII, until now!

As a member of this Forum, and several others that helped me no end in my search, I decided to try to fill that particular niche. The inspiration is the need to keep the history alive, and as that generation passes, the living history is dying with them. There is need for all parties to see that it lives on.

The invitation is open to all having an interest, to visit, and hopefully, join the group OPERATION: Dark of the Moon at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/operationdarkofthemoon/

The group began just a few days ago, and is currently still under construction, however some of my own files have been uploaded, to get the ball rolling. one of those is "Missing... Believed Killed", the story of Halifax JP292-FS-W, "W-William", and my cousin, Fl/Sgt L.J.Smith Air Gunner/Dispatcher.

Regards

Terry Maker"
Sgt L.J.Smith ... Lenny smith is my great uncle. i know this has been here a while but my nan always spoke of him and i wanted to find out more info as i have only been shown pictures of him.

September 7th, 2016, 4:26 pm #16

Dear Terry

I don't think I can help with your search but I hope you may be interested in my information. My father, alive but may not be for long, was a navigator with 148 Squadron from June 1944 until April 1945. He flew on Wellington, Stirling and Halifax aircraft. His pilot was Bert Hanmore (they called themselves Hanmore's heros!). Bert died a few years ago in Basingstoke UK. The other crew were Lloyd MacDonald ( a Canadian from St Stephen now sadly suffering from Alzheimers), Cam Currie (also Canadian), Jim Hillier from London England (my father has lost touch with him and I haven't been able to trace him but no record of his death) A Ross and Ron. My father's name is Walter Potts from London England.

One of the crew - possibly Cam - took lots of photos and gave copies to my father. Many of these are shots of the aircraft in flight but there are some photos of crew - and some of these photos were of other crews. We still have the album. Bert sprained his ankle at one point and couldn't fly. My father then flew with other crews until Bert was back.

If any contributors know Ron's surname that would be appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in the photos I may be able to scan copies.

Kind regards
Ann
Hi Ann,
Thought I would try one more time to see if you are checking this forum. I would really love a scanned photo of my Grandpa Cam or any photos that you said he had taken of "Hanmores Heros"!
skinnyy@yahoo.com

January 11th, 2017, 5:40 pm #17

Dear Terry

Kind regards
Ann
Hello Ann

I was very interested to read your post.

Can you contact me via this site please as I have some questions for you.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Brianne Bellio
Brianne Bellio

November 10th, 2017, 12:13 pm #18

Dear Terry

Kind regards
Ann
Hi Ann,

I have some questions about your image collection. Could you contact me on here.

Thank you,

Brianne

Confirmation of reply: