102 Sqn Pocklington

Bill Leyland
Bill Leyland

July 23rd, 2012, 3:43 pm #51

Just seen your post my grandad was on 102 squadron may to October 43 as a WAG
IF you have a pic of him that would be fantastic...his name was George Ollerhead ...regards Mark
There is a photo of him on the website and a list of his crew. www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
Bill

Bill Leyland
Bill Leyland

July 23rd, 2012, 3:59 pm #52

Hi,

My father died recently and going through his papers we discovered that his uncle, James Jenkins MacDonald was killed around 25th June 1943 while serving with 102 Squadron.

All we know is that his grave is at Florennes Communal Cemetery and would appreciate if you had any more information about his final mission.

Regards,

Douglas MacDonald
Not been on here for a while and am catching up with old threads. Ive just responded to a question about this crew! Scroll up to Richard Clack and see my response below (Bill Leyland).

Bill Leyland
Bill Leyland

July 23rd, 2012, 5:13 pm #53

The above RAF officer was my father in law. Interested in giving/receiving any information on WWII service.
The squadron book states that his plane was thought to have been shot down by a night fighter near the target - Hannover, on 22/9/43. He was the Navigator aboard Halifax III HX154 DY-K along with FS J Hanby Pilot - PoW, Sgt A Taylor WOp - PoW, Sgt R Maund Air Gunner - KIA,FS F Windmill (Aus) Airgunner PoW, Sgt H Edlin Engineer - PoW and Sgt C Anderton Bomb Aimer - PoW. His PoW number was 2639.
Flight Sergeant J Hanby,Flight Sergeant F Windmill, Segeant H Edlin and Sergeant A Taylor were all interred at L6 & 357 (Heydekrug & Kopernikus) and Sergeant C Anderton was in Heydekrug & Belaria.
The 102 book has this quote from Sgt Alec Taylor;
"During the bombing of Hannover on the 22nd of September 1943m my aircraft was coned and whilst the skipper was making strenuous efforts to escape the beams, the starboard inner engine over-revved. Whether this was caused by flak or night fighter, we were not aware. The engine would not feather and eventually the propeller came off and scythed through the nose of the Halifax. The fuse panel was blown out and all electrical equipment in the aircraft failed.
The Navigator plotted a course for home and with the aid of a torch held by me, the pilot was able to turn onto this. however a fire broke out in the damaged engine and we were ordered to bale out. I was caght in the vicinity of Hameln three days later and eventually taken by the Germans to see what they assumed were the remains of my aircraft. They were in fact correct as a flying boot, belonging to our rear gunner, was lying beside the aircraft and his body was visible, protruding from the rear escape hatch. As I had lost a boot on the way down, I wore that boot for the duration of my internment".
Bill

July 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm #54

Hi folks, this is a copy of a post i've just put on another Halifax forum, so apologies to those who have already seen it. I am looking for any info regarding a 102 Sqn Halifax Mk111 based at RAF Pocklington in 1944. I've asked before without much success, but i'm hoping something may turn up. I know the code letters were DY-C and the serial no was MZ300. This aircraft survived the war and was struck off charge on 20th March 1947. I believe it also flew with 77 and 10 Sqns but I don't know when or what its code letters would have been. Between June and Aug 44 with A flight 102 sqn the pilot was a Flt Sgt Adams (possibly Alfred F Adams)and the Flight Engineer was a Sgt E. Moore (1493595).
Any info on this aircraft or its crew (especially Sgt Moore who was at 1652 HCU Marston Moor from Feb to June 44) would be appreciated. Any photos especially welcome. (I have access to a scanner and so could borrow, copy, and return any photos).

Please help if poss. I live in Liverpool and have no chance of getting to Kew in the forseeable future.

Thanks..... Jon Shelley
Sergeant Andrew Ridley . RAF Volunteer Reserve air gunner 102 Sqdn. from Newcastle)

(d.7th Sep 1943)

Unfornatley the only details I have are from my father who has passed away, but I would be keen to hear from any members of the squadron that served with my Uncle and possibly the pilot/captian of the Halifax, who visited the family after the war, after being freed from a POW camp. If anyone has any more details they could passed i would be eternally grateful

Neil
Neil

July 25th, 2012, 2:31 pm #55

Paul - He was part of the Atkinson crew and arrived on Squadron during August 1943. I will send other details to you via email. It appears that they were on their second Operation with the Squadron when they were lost. Four of the crew F/O Atkinson and Sgts Butcher/Moore/Kirkby survived to become POW. The aircraft crashed at Antdorf and was on OPs to Munchen. It appears they were shot down by a nightfighter

Neil

August 7th, 2012, 7:01 pm #56

Sergeant Andrew Ridley . RAF Volunteer Reserve air gunner 102 Sqdn. from Newcastle)

(d.7th Sep 1943)

Unfornatley the only details I have are from my father who has passed away, but I would be keen to hear from any members of the squadron that served with my Uncle and possibly the pilot/captian of the Halifax, who visited the family after the war, after being freed from a POW camp. If anyone has any more details they could passed i would be eternally grateful
Hi, wanted to touch base with everyone on this thread.

I have just taken possession of everything that was sent to Chris Goss when he wrote our squadron book, so I am NOT looking for a load of extra work concerning the web site - I have about five years worth here already...

However ---

There are a number of people on this thread that I have never heard of, or never spoken to and I would like to encourage you all to contact me when ever you have a moment and let me have the details of your loved one. (Christine.. give me a bell sometime please.. its been a while now and I still have nothing at all for your dad..)

You may find that they are already on our site in some way, but maybe you can add more details.. especially photo's??

my email address and other contact details can be found on our web site, and I look forward to making up pages for all those I have not yet done.

All the best

Chris

RogerM
RogerM

August 19th, 2012, 3:34 pm #57

(d.7th Sep 1943)

Paul have sent you an email

December 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm #58

I have a photo of all the Wireless Operators on the Squadron and one of them is named Pugsley. I did 43 trips on 102 and I still have vivid memories of that time although it was 65 years ago. I will be meeting three other members of my crew next week in Brisbane.I will send you a copy of the photo if you like.Regards.
Hello

I read with great interest your article on the 102 (Ceylon) website.

My father was a wireless operator based at Pocklington between April 1944 and June 1944. He is in both photos. My fathers name was Ryland Jones. At the time of the photos he was either a pilot officer or flying officer,(Can't see to well on photo)

He like many smoked a pipe and I know he was friends with a navigator called Jack Tweed who was shot down on a raid 16th June 1944 ( oil plant Sterkrade ?) then as a POW in Stalag luft 111

I have looked at the ORB's for the time but can only find when dad was posted in and out.

Sadly dad passed away in 2000 and like many I am trying to put the pieces together of a time in his life I know little about.

I hope you are well and any information would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Trevor

December 13th, 2012, 12:09 pm #59

Paul have sent you an email
Hello All.

I'm new to this thread and seeking any information at all about my Uncle John (Jack) Dudley, Sgt. Air Gunner. He and the entire crew of his Halifax DT800 perished on the night of 25th February 1943 the plane crashed at Ardleigh near Colchester, en route to Nuremberg.Thanks to this site I know some of the details of the incident but my father, Jack's brother was naturally reluctant to talk about the loss of his only sibling at the age of just 20. Consequently I know next to nothing about him. I'm not expecting miracles but wonder if there are crew photographs, indeed any records of the missions he flew prior to this fateful one or any relatives of other crew members who have been on this forum. My grandmother (his mum) said that he volunteered to stand in for another crew member who had a date with his fiancé that night...strange the way things turn out.

I'm planning a pilgrimage to Ardleigh next year, it being the 70th Anniversary to remember him and his colleagues.

Thanks

Jon

Confused
Confused

January 15th, 2013, 9:39 pm #60

Hi, wanted to touch base with everyone on this thread.

I have just taken possession of everything that was sent to Chris Goss when he wrote our squadron book, so I am NOT looking for a load of extra work concerning the web site - I have about five years worth here already...

However ---

There are a number of people on this thread that I have never heard of, or never spoken to and I would like to encourage you all to contact me when ever you have a moment and let me have the details of your loved one. (Christine.. give me a bell sometime please.. its been a while now and I still have nothing at all for your dad..)

You may find that they are already on our site in some way, but maybe you can add more details.. especially photo's??

my email address and other contact details can be found on our web site, and I look forward to making up pages for all those I have not yet done.

All the best

Chris
Has the website stopped posting updates? there are a load of pages with notes that they will be added to in the "next few days" but there has been no update since August. Wonder whether the association has closed down or is the website nothing to do with 102 Squadron Association?

Confirmation of reply: