10 Squadron Serials

February 1st, 2004, 9:20 pm #1

Hello

My father served with 10 sqd as an ground engineer. 'His' aircraft were the various ZA-Y Yolks that served with the squadron. His claim to fame? The famous series of pictures by Flight Magazine in 1943 of the merlin-engined Halifax B II Series 1 (Special) BB324 ZA-X that adorn many, many publications, well my Dad is in the astrodome, smiling away! He was on a flight test and often, wise skippers, would take their ground crew up on test flights just to keep them 'on their metal'. He often accompanied test flights as the flight engineer.

For my father, I am currently repainting Stuart Green's superb Halifax II for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) and would like a serial of any ZA-Y that served with 10 squadron, preferably a B II hercules engined variant. Can anybody help please?

As an aside adutch friend is building an accurate RAF Melbourne scenery for CFS2 too.

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire

February 2nd, 2004, 7:52 pm #2

Hi there,

I'm curious where you got the Halifax from....Is it on a commercial add-on or available through download on a site?

Richard

Paul Waites
Paul Waites

February 3rd, 2004, 5:42 pm #3

Hi,

Try

http://www.domicilium.com/peveril/hangar/hangar.htm

(How do you repaint the codes on the plane)?

If you are a serious flight simmer then a chap called Richard Maxted has mapped a lot of the Yorkshire airfields so you can fly your Hali into a genuine No4 or No6 group base. (Mind you they are in their modern configuration).

The web-site:
http://homepages.mcb.net/bones/04FS/index.htm has the project of mapping all the uk air fields (www.flightsim.com should also have the files to download just search for Richard Maxted or the airfiled, ie Pocklington). It is a very slow site however. I did notice from it that Burn is no longer listed as an active airfield.... It has apparently been bought up by developers for a "science park".. Drat another Halifax base bites the dust... It has all three runways intact as well.

I've not set-up any of the above halifax related flight sim stuff though so can't comment. (Am saving the pennies to have a go at the real thing, but don't tell the misses)!

February 4th, 2004, 6:34 am #4

I haven't had much experience of customising aircraft, but there's a good site at www.flightsim.com which might have a download for you. I know that the files that make up the paintjob aren't your average image files. It's fine if they're bitmaps but a pain other wise. A good aircraft customising program will do the job too. However, there may be a repainter on the various forums that could give you a tip.

Richard

Chris Simmonds
Chris Simmonds

February 5th, 2004, 8:20 pm #5

Hi there,

I'm curious where you got the Halifax from....Is it on a commercial add-on or available through download on a site?

Richard
Stuart Green's freeware CFS2 site:

http://www.advsys.co.uk/peveril/hangar/hangar.htm

Regards

Chris Simmonds
Chris Simmonds

February 5th, 2004, 8:26 pm #6

Thank you for the map site, very interesting. I've not seen a recent air shot. What I really need is a wartime aerial shot? Can anybody help with this?

My dutch friend has made a beta version of Melbourne and will release it soon at SimOuthouse http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

I use PSP8 by JASC to repaint although I also us FS Repaint from Abacus. Stuart Green will probably send you his PSP layed source files if anyone wants to have a go at repainting! If you do one please send me a copy!!!

Richard Gilbert
Richard Gilbert

October 29th, 2004, 8:02 pm #7

Hello

My father served with 10 sqd as an ground engineer. 'His' aircraft were the various ZA-Y Yolks that served with the squadron. His claim to fame? The famous series of pictures by Flight Magazine in 1943 of the merlin-engined Halifax B II Series 1 (Special) BB324 ZA-X that adorn many, many publications, well my Dad is in the astrodome, smiling away! He was on a flight test and often, wise skippers, would take their ground crew up on test flights just to keep them 'on their metal'. He often accompanied test flights as the flight engineer.

For my father, I am currently repainting Stuart Green's superb Halifax II for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) and would like a serial of any ZA-Y that served with 10 squadron, preferably a B II hercules engined variant. Can anybody help please?

As an aside adutch friend is building an accurate RAF Melbourne scenery for CFS2 too.

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
Hi Chris
Your father was ground crew to my dad's crew who flew ZA-Y (MZ773)upto 13 Aug 1944 when they were shot down on their last op of the tour.
His name was Maurice Gilbert and he was rear gunner on Jack Saynor's crew.
They were shot down (almost certainly by 'friendly fire') near Pappenberg en route for Brunswick. Crew baled out, all surviving and met up again at sqdn. reunion in 1985. Unfortunately my dad ,Skipper Jack Saynor and Navigator Doug Smallbone are no longer with us.
I have lots of info inc.sqdn logs March-August 44.
If I can help email me- Richard@mgilbertandson.fsnet.co.uk
Regards
Richard

Doug Pinkerton
Doug Pinkerton

November 16th, 2004, 6:42 am #8

Hello

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
Hello Chris,
My uncle, Sgt Pilot Robert Mitchell Pinkerton was the Pilot on it's last flight 22-23 June 1943. I have have see some pictures of ZA X in flight. If you have any pictures of the Bomber and any pitures of the crews who flew her please e-mail me. Thanks.

Best regards

Doug Pinkerton

H. Dummer
H. Dummer

November 17th, 2004, 12:25 pm #9

Thank you for the map site, very interesting. I've not seen a recent air shot. What I really need is a wartime aerial shot? Can anybody help with this?

My dutch friend has made a beta version of Melbourne and will release it soon at SimOuthouse http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

I use PSP8 by JASC to repaint although I also us FS Repaint from Abacus. Stuart Green will probably send you his PSP layed source files if anyone wants to have a go at repainting! If you do one please send me a copy!!!
Hi Chris Re your enquiry photos Melbourne Airfield from the air there are two double page photos of the airfield in the book Melbourne Ten by Brian Rapier You dont by any chance have any photos of Halifax LV825G ZAG this aircraft was with 10 Squadron from March 44 to June 44 Many Thanks HAROLD DUMMER

Ian F
Ian F

November 18th, 2004, 5:32 pm #10

Hello Chris,
My uncle, Sgt Pilot Robert Mitchell Pinkerton was the Pilot on it's last flight 22-23 June 1943. I have have see some pictures of ZA X in flight. If you have any pictures of the Bomber and any pitures of the crews who flew her please e-mail me. Thanks.

Best regards

Doug Pinkerton
SERIAL No: BB324
MANUFACTURER: London Passanger Transport Board
CONTRACT No: B124357/40
REQUISITION No: HA1/E11/39
ORDER QTY & TYPE: 200 B Mk II's
DELIVERY DETAILS: Batch BB300 to BB344 delivered between 15/01/43 & 14/03/43

1st UNIT: 76 Sqn - 10 Sqn
SQUADRON: 10 Sqn
UNIT CODES: ZA-X
BASE: Melbourne

DATE: 23/06/43
TARGET: Mulheim
TIME UP: 23:22hrs

DETAILS:
Left base without incident - Aircraft is presumed lost in the sea, near the Dutch coast. Probable shot down
by enemy night fighter 25km W of Den Haag. Three of the crew including the pilot are commemorated
on the Runnymede Memorial, thre rest in the New Eastern Cemetery at Amsterdam and Sgt Crowe RCAF
is buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery.

CREW:
Sgt R. M. Pinkerton K
Sgt F. Holmes K
Sgt F. T. Nuttall K
Sgt W. Waring K
Sgt J. Conway K
Sgt J. F. K. Crowe RCAF K
Sgt T. L. MacAskill RCAF K

N.B:
This aircraft was widely used in publicity material, named “Haigs For Victory”.

PHOTOGRAPHS:
Many...

PLEASE QUOTE "57 RESCUE" WHEN REFERING TO THIS DOCUMENT
www.57rescue.org

Confirmation of reply: