April 16th, 2010, 9:47 pm #31

Hello

My father served with 10 sqd as an ground engineer. 'His' aircraft were the various ZA-Y Yolks that served with the squadron. His claim to fame? The famous series of pictures by Flight Magazine in 1943 of the merlin-engined Halifax B II Series 1 (Special) BB324 ZA-X that adorn many, many publications, well my Dad is in the astrodome, smiling away! He was on a flight test and often, wise skippers, would take their ground crew up on test flights just to keep them 'on their metal'. He often accompanied test flights as the flight engineer.

For my father, I am currently repainting Stuart Green's superb Halifax II for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) and would like a serial of any ZA-Y that served with 10 squadron, preferably a B II hercules engined variant. Can anybody help please?

As an aside adutch friend is building an accurate RAF Melbourne scenery for CFS2 too.

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
I also have various pictures of this aircraft. My father was also in this aircraft at the same time. He was in the co-pilots seat. He was a bomb aimer and completed 30 ops on 10 Sqn and a further 13 ops on B24 Liberators Mk V1. He was very fortunate as he survived the war without even a scratch! In fact, Im going to see him tomorrow. He will be 90 years old in July

April 16th, 2010, 10:05 pm #32

Hello

My father served with 10 sqd as an ground engineer. 'His' aircraft were the various ZA-Y Yolks that served with the squadron. His claim to fame? The famous series of pictures by Flight Magazine in 1943 of the merlin-engined Halifax B II Series 1 (Special) BB324 ZA-X that adorn many, many publications, well my Dad is in the astrodome, smiling away! He was on a flight test and often, wise skippers, would take their ground crew up on test flights just to keep them 'on their metal'. He often accompanied test flights as the flight engineer.

For my father, I am currently repainting Stuart Green's superb Halifax II for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) and would like a serial of any ZA-Y that served with 10 squadron, preferably a B II hercules engined variant. Can anybody help please?

As an aside adutch friend is building an accurate RAF Melbourne scenery for CFS2 too.

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
My father as previously mentioned was the bomb aimer in ZA-X . He was Sgt R.B.Carpenter. He flew in ZA-X to Krefeld on the night of 21/22 June 1943. The aircraft returned safely to RAF Melbourne and his crew were stood down for a rest period. A new crew took ZA-X to Mulhem 22/23 June but failed to return. I have a picture of Krefeld taken by ZA-X on 21/22 June. My father was the bomb aimer! Its a very rare pic.

Steve sweet
Steve sweet

September 3rd, 2012, 2:11 pm #33

Hello

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
Trenton ont.aircraft museum has the Hali. Brought up from the fiord in Norway. I am sure they would help anyway they can.
Royal Canadian Flight Museum
Astra Ontario
Good luck

Chris Duffy
Chris Duffy

February 2nd, 2014, 5:29 pm #34

SERIAL No: BB324
MANUFACTURER: London Passanger Transport Board
CONTRACT No: B124357/40
REQUISITION No: HA1/E11/39
ORDER QTY & TYPE: 200 B Mk II's
DELIVERY DETAILS: Batch BB300 to BB344 delivered between 15/01/43 & 14/03/43

1st UNIT: 76 Sqn - 10 Sqn
SQUADRON: 10 Sqn
UNIT CODES: ZA-X
BASE: Melbourne

DATE: 23/06/43
TARGET: Mulheim
TIME UP: 23:22hrs

DETAILS:
Left base without incident - Aircraft is presumed lost in the sea, near the Dutch coast. Probable shot down
by enemy night fighter 25km W of Den Haag. Three of the crew including the pilot are commemorated
on the Runnymede Memorial, thre rest in the New Eastern Cemetery at Amsterdam and Sgt Crowe RCAF
is buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery.

CREW:
Sgt R. M. Pinkerton K
Sgt F. Holmes K
Sgt F. T. Nuttall K
Sgt W. Waring K
Sgt J. Conway K
Sgt J. F. K. Crowe RCAF K
Sgt T. L. MacAskill RCAF K

N.B:
This aircraft was widely used in publicity material, named “Haigs For Victory”.

PHOTOGRAPHS:
Many...

PLEASE QUOTE "57 RESCUE" WHEN REFERING TO THIS DOCUMENT
www.57rescue.org
57rescue sgt frank Holmes was my grandads butcher boy before joining the raf he came from my home town of normanton any pictures of crew or aircraft would be most welcome thank you.

Chris Duffy
Chris Duffy

February 2nd, 2014, 5:29 pm #35

SERIAL No: BB324
MANUFACTURER: London Passanger Transport Board
CONTRACT No: B124357/40
REQUISITION No: HA1/E11/39
ORDER QTY & TYPE: 200 B Mk II's
DELIVERY DETAILS: Batch BB300 to BB344 delivered between 15/01/43 & 14/03/43

1st UNIT: 76 Sqn - 10 Sqn
SQUADRON: 10 Sqn
UNIT CODES: ZA-X
BASE: Melbourne

DATE: 23/06/43
TARGET: Mulheim
TIME UP: 23:22hrs

DETAILS:
Left base without incident - Aircraft is presumed lost in the sea, near the Dutch coast. Probable shot down
by enemy night fighter 25km W of Den Haag. Three of the crew including the pilot are commemorated
on the Runnymede Memorial, thre rest in the New Eastern Cemetery at Amsterdam and Sgt Crowe RCAF
is buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery.

CREW:
Sgt R. M. Pinkerton K
Sgt F. Holmes K
Sgt F. T. Nuttall K
Sgt W. Waring K
Sgt J. Conway K
Sgt J. F. K. Crowe RCAF K
Sgt T. L. MacAskill RCAF K

N.B:
This aircraft was widely used in publicity material, named “Haigs For Victory”.

PHOTOGRAPHS:
Many...

PLEASE QUOTE "57 RESCUE" WHEN REFERING TO THIS DOCUMENT
www.57rescue.org
57rescue sgt frank Holmes was my grandads butcher boy before joining the raf he came from my home town of normanton any pictures of crew or aircraft would be most welcome thank you.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm #36

Hello Chris,
My uncle, Sgt Pilot Robert Mitchell Pinkerton was the Pilot on it's last flight 22-23 June 1943. I have have see some pictures of ZA X in flight. If you have any pictures of the Bomber and any pitures of the crews who flew her please e-mail me. Thanks.

Best regards

Doug Pinkerton
Re: ZA X bb324

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 16th, 2014, 9:30 pm #37

Hello Chris,
My uncle, Sgt Pilot Robert Mitchell Pinkerton was the Pilot on it's last flight 22-23 June 1943. I have have see some pictures of ZA X in flight. If you have any pictures of the Bomber and any pitures of the crews who flew her please e-mail me. Thanks.

Best regards

Doug Pinkerton
Re: ZA X bb324

Andy Clark
Andy Clark

March 17th, 2015, 1:44 pm #38

Hello

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
Hi Chris,
I know your message was a long time ago but my Uncle's plane was based at RAF station Melbourne in 1943 and he was a rear gunner on a Halifax Mk11 ZA Y JD211. He was lost without trace over France on 15th/16th July 1943. I have researched this night and have successfully found the crash site and grave and the Air Historical branch have agreed that the research is acurate and this June/July they will be changing the headstone and hold a graveside blessing in Besancon, France. I am trying to locate any photographs or drawings of the airfield and planes at that time. My email address is CLARKA8@SKY.COM.
My uncle's name was Sgt William Henry Robert Clark. First flew in JD199 later flew and died in JD211.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks
Andy Clark

Sue Byron
Sue Byron

September 11th, 2015, 8:42 pm #39

I have the number for a Mark III halifax that was coded YA-Y. It was NR246. My cousin was killed in it on Dec 26 1944, returnong from a raid on St Vith.
Just read your message. Found it very interesting as my great-uncle was also a member of the crew killed on same fateful raid.

August 23rd, 2018, 7:04 pm #40

Hello Sue,

My Uncle, Philip Mansell, was Flight Engineer on the aircraft. Does anyone know how NR 246 was damaged - flak or fire from an aircraft?

Was any wreckage ever recovered from the sea (near Margate)?

Confirmation of reply: