Richard Gilbert
Richard Gilbert

December 9th, 2004, 8:43 am #21

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to obtain copies of Chorleys 44. If so where would I try ?
Regards
Richard.

Richard
Richard

December 9th, 2004, 10:12 am #22

Hi Richard,

My stuff comes from a variety of sources & has been built up over a few years. Sadly all the sources cannot be credited, but, there are references in Chorley's '44 about the same aircraft falling victim to friendly fire as well.
Hope this bit helps?
Best wishes
Ian
Hi Ian
Please disregard my previous request, I've found it on Amazon-
£14.
Regards
Richard.
p.s I only found 57 Rescue a few weeks ago and am amazed at the info some of you chaps have to hand.

December 19th, 2004, 1:50 pm #23

SERIAL No: BB324
MANUFACTURER: London Passanger Transport Board
CONTRACT No: B124357/40
REQUISITION No: HA1/E11/39
ORDER QTY & TYPE: 200 B Mk II's
DELIVERY DETAILS: Batch BB300 to BB344 delivered between 15/01/43 & 14/03/43

1st UNIT: 76 Sqn - 10 Sqn
SQUADRON: 10 Sqn
UNIT CODES: ZA-X
BASE: Melbourne

DATE: 23/06/43
TARGET: Mulheim
TIME UP: 23:22hrs

DETAILS:
Left base without incident - Aircraft is presumed lost in the sea, near the Dutch coast. Probable shot down
by enemy night fighter 25km W of Den Haag. Three of the crew including the pilot are commemorated
on the Runnymede Memorial, thre rest in the New Eastern Cemetery at Amsterdam and Sgt Crowe RCAF
is buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery.

CREW:
Sgt R. M. Pinkerton K
Sgt F. Holmes K
Sgt F. T. Nuttall K
Sgt W. Waring K
Sgt J. Conway K
Sgt J. F. K. Crowe RCAF K
Sgt T. L. MacAskill RCAF K

N.B:
This aircraft was widely used in publicity material, named “Haigs For Victory”.

PHOTOGRAPHS:
Many...

PLEASE QUOTE "57 RESCUE" WHEN REFERING TO THIS DOCUMENT
www.57rescue.org
Hello
Long time since I logged in! Thanks for all the replies.

I fly the Microsoft CFS2 Combat Flight Sim. A good fiend of mine, a dutchman called Cees Donker has just completed 'shiney 10's' airfield Melbourne for the sim. I am making my fathers aircraft ZA-Y so hence the need for a serial!

To see a 'thread' on the sim-outhouse forum see:

http://www.cfcforums.com/showthread.php?t=7792

Regards

Chris

December 19th, 2004, 3:13 pm #24

SERIAL No: MZ773
MANUFACTURER: English Electric Co Ltd, Preston
CONTRACT No: ACFT/2553
REQUISITION No: HA9/E11/42
ORDER QTY & TYPE: 360 B Mk III's
DELIVERY DETAILS: Batch MZ730 to MZ775 delivered between 04/06/44 & 22/06/44

1st UNIT: 10 Sqn
UNIT CODES: ZA-Y

DATE: 13/08/44
TARGET: Braunschweig
TIME UP: 21:28hrs

DETAILS:
Left base without incident. Outbound at 18,000ft, and just after crossing the German coastline, the
aircraft came under fire from another Halifax, which caused a fire in the port outer engine & fuel tank.
The aircraft was quickly abandoned & left to crash into the ground at Vollenerfehn, 3km N of Papenburg.
The crew were on their 38th trip and were within hours of completing their tour.
CREW:
F/O J. Saynor p
Sgt S. Milton p
P/O D. D. Smallhouse p
F/Sgt H. G. James p
P/O S. Jackson p
Sgt N. Brown p
Sgt M. Gilbert p

N.B: This aircraft was painted by John Rayson GAvA and used by the Yorkshire Air Museum on
Christmas cards in 1994.

PHOTOGRAPHS: MZ763 is nearest comparison on file
Thank you for the info Ian!

December 19th, 2004, 3:15 pm #25

DETAILS:
Left base without incident. Outbound at 18,000ft, and just after crossing the German coastline, the
aircraft came under fire from another Halifax, which caused a fire in the port outer engine & fuel tank.
The aircraft was quickly abandoned & left to crash into the ground at Vollenerfehn, 3km N of Papenburg.
The crew were on their 38th trip and were within hours of completing their tour.
CREW:
F/O J. Saynor p
Sgt S. Milton p
P/O D. D. Smallhouse p
F/Sgt H. G. James p
P/O S. Jackson p
Sgt N. Brown p
Sgt M. Gilbert p

N.B: This aircraft was painted by John Rayson GAvA and used by the Yorkshire Air Museum on
Christmas cards in 1994.

Thank you for the info Ian!

Sean
Sean

April 11th, 2008, 3:25 am #26

LV792 or LV833 are the nearest comparison photo's held on the database here if that helps any?
Ian
Hi Ian,

I know your post was back in 2004, but i am hoping you can help me. I am putting the memoirs of Halifax 792 crew together to publish and I am trying to get some pictures of her either before or after she was written off. My neighbour and friend 'doug' bancroft was the pilot who brought her back after being attacked by a JU88. If you can assist me with any info it would be much appreciated. Sadly, doug has passed on now, but it was a promise I made to him about putting his and his crews experiences in print, so all can remember.

kind regards

Sean Everett
South Australia

April 25th, 2008, 10:11 pm #27

DETAILS:
CREW:
F/O J. Saynor p
Sgt S. Milton p
P/O D. D. Smallhouse p
F/Sgt H. G. James p
P/O S. Jackson p
Sgt N. Brown p
Sgt M. Gilbert p

Christmas cards in 1994.

Hello Ian and everyone else,

I have been on the hunt for the unit codes for Halifax R9497 and DG420 which collided with each other during flight training on the 19th of August 1943.

Does anyone know how or where I can obtain these unit codes?

The closest thing I have come accross is information on Lostbombers.co.uk which states that Halifax R9492 (also from 10 Squadron) had the unit codes of " ZA-G" and was part of the serial range of R9482- R9498, part of 17 Halifaxes MK 11, which was part of a batch of 100 HP59 MK 11.

Halifax R9497 which Im looking for is part of this group and was believed to have come from 10 squadron before going to 1658 HCU at Riccall. ( This is the point of origin of the Halifax when it crashed)

Halifax DG420 was sent to Rufforth 1663 HCU ( not sure from which Squadron, could it be 12 Squadron?)

Im hoping someone can help me here, please if you can point me in the right direction I'd be so grateful. Thank you.

Best wishes,
JJ's Girl

April 25th, 2008, 10:12 pm #28

DETAILS:
CREW:
F/O J. Saynor p
Sgt S. Milton p
P/O D. D. Smallhouse p
F/Sgt H. G. James p
P/O S. Jackson p
Sgt N. Brown p
Sgt M. Gilbert p

Christmas cards in 1994.

Hello Ian and everyone else,

I have been on the hunt for the unit codes for Halifax R9497 and DG420 which collided with each other during flight training on the 19th of August 1943.

Does anyone know how or where I can obtain these unit codes?

The closest thing I have come accross is information on Lostbombers.co.uk which states that Halifax R9492 (also from 10 Squadron) had the unit codes of " ZA-G" and was part of the serial range of R9482- R9498, part of 17 Halifaxes MK 11, which was part of a batch of 100 HP59 MK 11.

Halifax R9497 which Im looking for is part of this group and was believed to have come from 10 squadron before going to 1658 HCU at Riccall. ( This is the point of origin of the Halifax when it crashed)

Halifax DG420 was sent to Rufforth 1663 HCU ( not sure from which Squadron, could it be 12 Squadron?)

Im hoping someone can help me here, please if you can point me in the right direction I'd be so grateful. Thank you.

Best wishes,
JJ's Girl

Sue Gill
Sue Gill

January 6th, 2010, 1:01 am #29

Hello

My father served with 10 sqd as an ground engineer. 'His' aircraft were the various ZA-Y Yolks that served with the squadron. His claim to fame? The famous series of pictures by Flight Magazine in 1943 of the merlin-engined Halifax B II Series 1 (Special) BB324 ZA-X that adorn many, many publications, well my Dad is in the astrodome, smiling away! He was on a flight test and often, wise skippers, would take their ground crew up on test flights just to keep them 'on their metal'. He often accompanied test flights as the flight engineer.

For my father, I am currently repainting Stuart Green's superb Halifax II for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) and would like a serial of any ZA-Y that served with 10 squadron, preferably a B II hercules engined variant. Can anybody help please?

As an aside adutch friend is building an accurate RAF Melbourne scenery for CFS2 too.

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
I have the number for a Mark III halifax that was coded YA-Y. It was NR246. My cousin was killed in it on Dec 26 1944, returnong from a raid on St Vith.

April 16th, 2010, 9:35 pm #30

Hello

My father served with 10 sqd as an ground engineer. 'His' aircraft were the various ZA-Y Yolks that served with the squadron. His claim to fame? The famous series of pictures by Flight Magazine in 1943 of the merlin-engined Halifax B II Series 1 (Special) BB324 ZA-X that adorn many, many publications, well my Dad is in the astrodome, smiling away! He was on a flight test and often, wise skippers, would take their ground crew up on test flights just to keep them 'on their metal'. He often accompanied test flights as the flight engineer.

For my father, I am currently repainting Stuart Green's superb Halifax II for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) and would like a serial of any ZA-Y that served with 10 squadron, preferably a B II hercules engined variant. Can anybody help please?

As an aside adutch friend is building an accurate RAF Melbourne scenery for CFS2 too.

Regards
Chris Simmonds
Freeland Oxfordshire
Re: 10 Squadron Serials

Confirmation of reply: