The Holder of Lightning

4:27 AM - May 07, 2013 #1

Aerowyn and Basch burst through the trees huffing and puffing. If the trip across the continents wasn’t difficult enough the pair had nearly gotten trampled, mugged, and washed into a river by torrential rains on their trek from New Helic City to the lake. The sight of Windeen filled Aerowyn with wonder. Windeen Lake was deep blue and monstrous in size. Legend has it that the lake used to hold a huge zoid of unbelievable stature but this was just local folk lore. “Alright” Basch said with a huff, “Lets bed down on the bank for the night yeah?” Aerowyn shook her head in ascent as she began to unpack her bed roll. Before setting out to Windeen from Mount Iselina Basch and Aerowyn were given a cart and horse to use on their journey. They gathered the zoid parts they found washed down from the mountain. Selling some of these parts in New Helic City gave the pair some comforts for the road. A bed roll for each of them, some spices for cooking, and extra galleons for spending.

“Basch!” Aerowyn called, “I am going to look for some dinner care to join me?” Basch shook his head “I am going to stay here and start the fire” he said. Aerowyn just smiled and bounced off toward the forest lining the lake. She enjoyed walking at a leisurely pace around the forest, the birds were twittering around in the canopy. Suddenly there was a crash and a boom a ways into the forest center. The sounds of grating, breaking metal took Aerowyn into a flash back, fire surrounding here and the terrible sound of a zoid being ripped to shreds. A screaming howl brought Aerowyn back to the world and sent her into a sprint. The sounds got louder as she reached a clearing in the trees. The scene that unfolded before her was something she would never forget.

The white Shadow Fox was picked up and flung across the clearing crashing into the trees just feet from the girl who watched. The pain is immense. A large Command Wolf stood over the broken body of the Shadow Fox. The Wolf howled in triumph and ripped the command module out of the back of the Shadow Fox.

Aerowyn gasped in horror as the Fox fell back down to the earth in a cloud of dust. The Wolf turned toward the new sound and pounced. Aerowyn broke into a run back to camp. Behind her were the sounds of the Wolf crashing through the forest with menacing intent. As she broke the trees, she veered off to the bank of Windeen.

Basch was up with a start as he watched Aerowyn scramble toward camp. “What is the matter?” He cried as she sped past him. “No time just run!” she shot back over her shoulder. As Basch looked back at the forest he saw it, a giant wild Command Wolf burst through the trees with a low rumbling growl. He quickly spotted Aerowyn and gave chase. Basch was rather quick to follow Aerowyn at that point. After skirting a large portion of Windeen Lake the pair spotted the ruins the elders had described. “If we can get through that door and into the building I think we will be safe” Aerowyn suggested with a puff. They gave the last hundred yards their all, crashing through the door and slamming it shut behind them. The Command Wolf slammed into the building broadside after skidding into an attempted halt.

With a sigh Aerowyn and Basch slid to the floor exhausted. “What in the name of scrolls is happening?” Basch asked as the Wolf howled in the frustration of losing his quarry. “I saw a pair of wild zoids attacking each other in the trees” Aerowyn gasped. “The Wolf saw me after he ripped up the Shadow Fox; he thought I was an intruder”. “I suppose that makes sense” Basch agreed with a sigh“Let’s try to get some sleep we can explore these ruins some tomorrow”.

Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot
Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot

5:00 AM - May 08, 2013 #2

The twin suns had begun to set casting a lovely pink haze on the clouds floating over Thomas’s head as he sat on the on the outskirts of the forest surrounding Windeen Lake. It was evenings like this that the young mercenary rarely got to see, ones without him running or being shot at. He looked over at Saix her giant emerald eye was right beside him shining in the twilight. Anyone else would see this as the perfect evening next to a gorgeous lakeside that they wished could last forever. Thomas on the other hand couldn’t stand calm moments like this; he was the kind of person that always needed to be doing something. He jumped up with a start knocking Saix out of her day dreaming. “I can’t bloody take this waiting anymore!” Thomas shouted towards the sky as if to chastise it for his lack of activity. Saix let loose a low growl of frustration; unlike her partner she had actually been enjoying the peace and quiet. “You know that we have to wait till Toman can get here to take us to Europa for our next job. Why can’t you simply be patient and enjoy the time we have?” Thomas turned backed towards her in an instant his frustration written all over his face.

He knew full well why it was they were stuck at the lake but that didn’t make the waiting any easier. The duo had been hired by the Republican army to track down a bandit pair that had fled into the Elemia desert. The desert was a great ways away from New Helic however so they had asked Thomas’ close friend to pick them up. They had already been at the lake for a day waiting which had eroded all of the young man’s patience. “I enjoyed our time here all day yesterday, now I’d like to get work. I am tired of all this blasted sitting around!” Thomas yelled waving his arms wildly through the air. Saix simply snorted in reply she knew there was nothing she could say that would get her pilot to calm down. This only frustrated Thomas further who wandered off a short distance to continue chastising the heavens. “He can't possibly think that's going to get Toman here any faster.” Saix pondered as she looked on at Thomas before a sudden loud noise stripped away both of their frustrations. It sounded as if the forest nearby had just exploded which in their experience meant a Zoid battle.

Before Saix could say a word Thomas was at her side opening up her cockpit, he was going to get his excitement. Despite how much she had been enjoying the down time Saix couldn’t deny her own curiosity about the noises. They moved as quickly as they could up the lake moving along the forest line to where the noises were still coming from. They soon found the source, a Command Wolf on a rampage running down a young man and woman. Before Saix and Thomas could do much of anything the pair being hunted ducked into an ancient building. The Command Wolf had yet to notice them giving them a sparse moment to judge the situation. “What do you think we should do Saix” Thomas asked his voice barely a whisper. “I can’t tell if it has pilot or if its wild but either way it shouldn’t be attacking people like that. Frankly it seems best to deal with this guy ourselves” Saix responded with a hint of frustration in her voice. This wasn’t exactly how she had pictured her day going.

The duo took off at a run towards the wolf taking its attention away from the people in the building. It turned towards the Lighting Saix bearing down on it and fired two rounds from its back mounted gun. Thomas barely dodged the rounds by moving Saix quickly to the left seeing the dirt fly into the air out of the corner of his eye as they landed. After its first attacks failure the wolf changed tactics to meeting Saix’s charge head on. The tight quarters in the area left Saix and Thomas no room to maneuver or time to stop their charge. The two Zoids quickly slammed into each other turning into a ball of teeth and claws. Saix was determined not to fall to the ground where she’d be vulnerable to the wolf’s fangs. Thomas suddenly jerked the controls pulling Saix down and backwards breaking her free of the command Wolf. Seconds later he shoved the controls up and forward sending Saix up into the air to land on the wolf. The other Zoid fell to the ground with Saix’s fangs inches above it. “I don’t know where you came from buddy but you need to get away from here. We don’t want to have to hurt you.” Thomas drove this command home by firing a number of rounds from Saix’s head mounted Vulcan guns by the wolf’s head. The Command Wolf quickly went limp after this apparently trying to show it was giving up. Saix decided to give the other Zoid the benefit of the doubt and allow it to get up but stood ready to put it back down if it struck.

The wolf wasted no time in getting up and running off deep into the woods away from the lake. “Well that certainly livened up our day didn’t it?” Thomas was doing nothing to contain the excitement in his voice. “I could have gotten even more excitement out of simply walking through the woods but yes. Now shouldn’t we check on the pair that ran into that building?” Thomas had to admit she had a point, in all honesty he had forgotten about them in all the excitement brief as it was. He jumped down from her cockpit and knocked on the door that Aerowyn and Basch had flung shut behind them. “Hey you both okay in there? My Zoid and I ran off that Command Wolf that was giving you so much trouble. It’s safe to come out now.”

5:04 PM - May 25, 2013 #3

There was not a moment of rest for Aerowyn and Basch. Not but a moment after they slid to the floor did they hear the boom of artillery fire. “Miss Aerowyn we need to move, now.” Said Basch as he grabbed Aerowyn’s hand and lead her down a dark hallway within the ruin. The fire began to fade into the distance as they ran down the pathway. Most of the doorways had collapsed in the years of disrepair. The two finally found one door that was still serviceable and ducked into the room. As they shut the door they did not hear the call of safety from the stranger entering the ruins.

“Well today has been eventful.” Aerowyn remarked as their eyes adjusted to the gloom of the new area they entered. Everything was covered in dust and debris from eons passed. As they started to explore the large room it became more and more clear that they had run into an old command room. Cracked and broken screens lay everywhere, the remnants of a holo-map stood in the center of the room. The ceiling was near collapsing, held up only by rusted iron beams and some very stubborn tiles. “I wonder if the barracks are still intact.” Basch pondered. He knew that their camp would most likely be destroyed by the rampaging Command Wolf he thought was sitting outside. As he lost himself in thought he heard a cry from Aerowyn. He turned to see her slump to the floor, her eyes rolling wildly behind her closed lids.

The room around Aerowyn began to melt and reshape, becoming whole again. Aerowyn stood, looking around her new surroundings. People bustled around her, running this way and that, shouting orders to the others on the upper balcony. She could hear them in hushed, panicked tones discussing an attack on a base called Gwledydd 'N Ddys inside the Mt. Iselina range. “They will be upon us soon enough” one of them cried. Soon the order was given to evacuate the base, they were coming. The head of the room walked to the holo-map, with a wave of her hand and a simple phrase the map creaked open to show a ladder disappearing into a shaft. “This room is locked down this is our only way out, we must go through the catacombs” she said. As the woman began her decent Aerowyn fell again into darkness.

“Again with the fainting!” Basch shouted. He was pacing the room and wringing his hands. “The elders tasked me with taking care of her but how can I do that if she keeps dropping like a stone?” He shouted at the ceiling. “Basch, can you stop yelling my head hurts something fierce” She said as she sat up rubbing her temple. “Oh ah yes I am sorry Miss Aerowyn” He said sheepishly. Aerowyn stood up on shaky legs “It’s not fainting its messages, but from where I am not sure” she said as she walked to the holo-map. “I saw this room whole again; there is an escape route here under this holo-map”. Aerowyn waved her hand over the map just as she had seen and said “Map Open”. The floor rumbled and shook as the door under the map creaked open. The ladder down into the catacombs was still intact. Without a second thought Aerowyn stepped down onto the ladder and disappeared into the inky blackness.

Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot
Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot

10:57 PM - Jun 23, 2013 #4

Thomas pounded on the door a few more times before finally giving up on ever getting an answer. He made a great show of sighing and shaking his down turned head in front of Saix before looking up at her. “Well I guess there’s nothing left for me to do but go in after them Saix.” His voice was drenched in false frustration that didn’t fool his mechanized partner for a second. “Must you try and act like you’re anything but thrilled about all of this?” The frustration in Saix’s voice was far more believable; she knew full well how much Thomas was enjoying this. Thomas attempted to look insulted but quickly broke into a wry smile, knowing the jig was up. “Whether I am enjoying this or not we can’t just leave those two in there thinking that wolf is out here waiting for them.” Saix could only sigh in response, Thomas had a point but she wasn’t going to admit it. “Alright go in and find them I’ll stay here to make sure our new friend doesn’t come back.” Thomas was prying the door open before Saix had even finished her sentence obviously too excited to wait.

The ancient door came open with surprising ease, opening up to a dark room that Thomas delved into without a second thought. He began calling out to the pair who had fled inside even before his eyes adjusted to the gloom. “Oi! My name is Thomas Jensen my Zoid and I ran off the Command Wolf that was attacking you it’s safe to come out now!” As his eyes adjusted and his words echoed off the walls the young mercenary realized that he was alone in a great control room. The only problem was that in the dim light he couldn’t say any other exit that the pair he had followed inside could have used to get out. Thomas began moving through the room attempting to find any sort of exit that might not be immediately visible. This inevitably led him to the center of the room where he found an access hole with a ladder that led.

Looking down into the darkness Thomas knew that he could just leave the pair to their own devices and hope they find a safe way out. Any other mercenary would have likely done just that, but Thomas would have never been able to live with such a decision. “Nothing for it then, down into the inky blackness I ago. Whoever you two are I sure hope your worth the butt kicking Saix is gonna give me for this later” He then began his descent down the ladder quickly melting into the shadows leaving Saix outside alone to wonder what was taking Thomas so long.

6:49 PM - Aug 03, 2013 #5

"Ssh Basch did you hear something?" Aerowyn asked with a pause. She and Basch had been sitting in the tunnel letting their eyes adjust to the gloom when they heard muffled shouting. "Stay alert Basch we must know what is afoot before we are accosted" She said. With that Aerowyn and Basch scrabbled about in an attempt to find a semblance of a weapon. After each we armed with a makeshift weapon they sat and waited. The sounds of footsteps
drew ever closer as they sat crouched in the darkness. A large dark figure rounded the corner and they lept to strike.

With a yelp the figure slumped to the ground into a jumbled heap. Aerowyn moved slowly forward still gripping her weapon half poised to strike again should the need arise. Basch moved forward to turn the body of the culprit over for examination. There were no marks of allegiances, simply a Yin and Yang painted into his vest. A search of his vest turned up a small weapon but no identifying material. "We should just leave him here and move on" Said Basch in a rush. Contemplating it for a moment Aerowyn decided that the man should not be left alone "What if we injured him?" She argued "Surely he has a family somewhere, they would be sick if he never came home." Finally Basch grudgingly agreed.

Aerowyn decided they would stay the night in the tunnel. This would give her time to explore it some as well as wake the man up that they had struck. They had left the side of his head with a rather large lump and a dark bruise. "Basch I think we need to see if the command wolf is still outside. If he isn't we need to collect our camp again." With that suggestion Basch set out to find his way back through the ruin.

Basch quickly retraced his way through the tunnel and up the ladder. The corridor was much the same as before. He soon found his way to the door at the front of the ruin. It creaked every so slightly as he opened it. As he started to poke his head out he nearly came face to face with the biggest Lightning Saix he had ever seen. It appeared to be asleep but he was taking no chances.
"I must go tell miss Aerowyn" He thought as he quickly shut the door. He could hear the big cat shifting and rumbling. Perhaps it wasn't asleep after all...

Aerowyn was attempting to dress the man head when Basch came skidding back through the tunnel, huffing and puffing. "That man has to be a zoid pilot!" He said. "There is a lightning Saix outside and it doesn't seem all too friendly either."

Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot
Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot

10:15 PM - Aug 03, 2013 #6

Thomas’ eyes adjusted to the shadowy passageway quickly, he had been going through areas like this his whole life. Growing up his father often brought him along to the achrealogical digs that he did for the Empire; Thomas often went through passages to small for the other workers. Now that he thought about it that was probably why he enjoyed the confined spaces of Zoid cockpits so much. As he made his way through thinking of the past he began to drop his guard and ignore the sounds up head.

If he had been listening more closely he likely would have heard the pair up ahead as they prepared their sneak attack. An attack that took the mercenary for complete surprise as he rounded the corner still lost in thought. Thomas only had enough time to let out the beginning of a curse before the blow to his head knocked him out cold. His last thought before falling into total darkness was “Saix is gonna be pissed about this”

Outside Saix had gone from being curious about what was taking Thomas so long to return to utterly frustrated. This wasn’t the first time he had gone gallivanting off on some adventure in a whole in the ground leaving her alone. “At this point he’s gonna be lucky if I don’t make him walk all the way back to the lake, blasted monkey anyway.” She thought to herself settling down on the ground. Thankfully the wild Command Wolf still hadn’t come back to pick another fight. That was the only thing that was going right so far in Saix’s opinion. Finishing her scan she heard the creak of ancient door opening up again. She saw man poke his head out of the doorway for a moment before quickly ducking back inside closing the door as he went. She recognized him as one of the people that Thomas had gone inside looking for not that that settled her nerves any. The fact that it was some stranger not her pilot peeking out like made her worry something had gone wrong.

As the man told the young woman dressing Thomas’ what he had seen outside the mercenary suddenly sprang up. “You bloody hit me! For the love of Zoid Eve you jumped out of nowhere and hit me!” Thomas cried out as he jumped to his feet more angry than afraid of his attackers. The sudden movement did nothing to help the splitting pain in his head from the attack. Putting pressure on his throbbing head the mercenary continued on with his rant. “I came down here to help you two and you bash my head in. “I swear Saix is going to give me the “don’t talk to strangers” speech for a month for this! You mind explaining why on Zi ya hit me?” As Thomas gave this impassioned speech Saix had decided that if her pilot didn’t return soon she was going to find a way to go in after him.

1:27 AM - Aug 07, 2013 #7

Aerowyn was swiftly knocked backwards as the stranger sprang to his feet. He quickly began cussing up a blue streak. How dare they hit him, he was only trying to help, what the hell was their problem? Aerowyn jumped up giving her bruised back a quick rub and launched into a tirade just as loud as the mans. "How dare we?? You sir snuck up on us in a dark hallway, you had your guard down, you did not identify yourself, and you had a weapon!" She launched at him just as loud as she could. "So forgive us for being cautious but you snuck up on us not the other way around."

After her tirade Basch and the stranger stood speechless. She smoothed her hands down the front of her tunic and pants. "Now" she said "My name is Aerowyn, this is my guide and friend Basch. I am assuming the zoid outside belongs to you but who are you exactly?" She put her had up to silence the stranger, "We will have time for you to explain yourself on the way back to the lake bank, we need our supplies and we might need your pilot experience. What say you?" Both Basch and Aerowyn turned to look at the stranger for his answer.

Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot
Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot

9:12 PM - Aug 07, 2013 #8

Immediately after his tirade ended Thomas was washed in a feeling of foolishness for having lost his temper and screaming at the strangers. He was about to apologize when the young woman who ultimately introduced herself as Aerowyn blasted him out of the water. The young mercenary had been shot at, kidnapped, tied up in cellars, and thrown in the nastiest jails but never before had someone made him feel so small. All he could manage to do was stand in stunned silence as the woman’s voiced echoed off the ancient walls waiting for her to finish.

The turn that she took from berating him for sneaking up on her and her friend to asking for Thomas’ help was even more surprising than her booming voice. Thomas stood stunned for several more moments before finding his voice again to respond to her request. “Well my name is Thomas Jensen and I can certainly help you recover your supplies. But I would like to apologize for shouting at you first; it’s just been a while since someone has gotten the jump on me like that.” He then gestured for them to follow him back up to the surface, a mix of dread and excitement. Saix was not going to be happy about how long he had been gone, but it was hard to not get excited about the potential for adventure he had just found. As they made their way to the entrance Thomas explained that he had come down to rescue and let them know that he had chased off the wolf.

Finally they reached the door to the outside which Thomas flung open to be greeted by a terrible roar from Saix who had been waiting on the other side. The mercenary instinctively jumped back knocking into Aerowyn and Basch as he did so. “For the love of Zoid Eve what are you doing you crazy metal she devil?” Thomas yelled out to his partner who quickly realized her mistake. “I thought you were the man I saw poke his head out earlier, you were gone so long I assumed you’d been kidnapped. Again.” Saix responded in a dry tone, obviously not feeling guilty about scaring Thomas. “Oi when are you gonna let that go? It was only twice and that was months ago.” Thomas responded angrily, before looking back to make sure that his new found friends were alright. “Aerowyn, Basch this snarky beast is my partner and occasional friend Saix. Saix this is Aerowyn and Basch they need our help finding their supplies.”

The group walked out of the ancient bunker in order to finish their introductions properly; Saix settling down in order to get a better look at the newcomers. “Aerowyn, Basch it’s very nice to meet you, I hope that might petulant pilot hasn’t caused you too much trouble” Saix said before turning to focus on Thomas. “First of all it was twice by the same bandits inside of a month that got you. So for two you will have to excuse me for assuming that you’d been fool enough to get caught a third time this year. Now let’s go help these nice people find their camp.” Thomas raised his hand seemingly about to continue the argument but decided against it. “Alright I suppose that she has a point, how about we go find your camp and supplies?” He said looking towards Aerowyn and Basch attempting to ease the tension in the air.

5:47 AM - Apr 28, 2014 #9

"The Command Wolf saw me while it was tearing apart another wild Zoid. He went crazy and tried to attack us. Thats when we ducked into the ruins after a particularly exhausting cat and mouse chase around the lake." The group was on their way back around the bank to salvage Aerowyn and Basch's camp before it was stumbled upon and stripped bare by those of unscrupulous morals. On the walk back Aerowyn began to explain about her journey from Mount Iselina. "I woke up in a bed in Basch's village, those are my first solid memories thus far. The village took me in and nursed me back to health. After about a month I decided I wanted to search out to see if I could find any hints as to who I am." She stopped for a moment, looking very sad and world weary. "Basch took me up a debris trail back to the base I had been housed in before a storm carried me down the mountain. In the center of the base we found a massive heap of twisted black metal. Nondescript until I touched it. As soon as I touched that face I knew who he was: my zoid, I know it had to be Shadowfax." She got extremely quiet and just continued to walk along in silence, feeling all alone in the world.

Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot
Thomas Jensen
Skilled Zoid Pilot

8:00 PM - May 03, 2014 #10

Thomas simply listened to Aerowyn's story intently, sensing that she was just wanting to get it out all out more than tell him about herself. Saix stayed just as silent walking aways behind them in order to cut down on the noise and the chance of interrupting the girls story. She was keeping a close eye on Thomas however, the Zoid knew how hard stories like this could be on him. After losing his family right along with his whole village years ago he was sensitive about stories of people who had similar experiences.

The young man's expression was impossible to read however being nothing more than a mask of concentration. Finally as the silence fell he spoke up. "Sounds like you two have been having quite the time then. I'm glad Saix and I ended up getting stuck here after all. That wolf probably would have smashed you to bits if we hadn't come along. Sure seems to be pissed about something." Saix sighed in obvious annoyance feeling that Thomas had forgotten to say something of far more importance. "We are also sorry that you found your partner so badly damaged and that you have found so few answers. And I'm personally sorry about my pilot's poor manners" Thomas muttered and made an odd one fingered hand gesture in retort.

As they continued on he thought he saw something up ahead that may have been his new found friend's camp. He was about to ask if that was it when he thought heard something in the forest nearby, possibly a Zoid. The sound only lasted a moment making it impossible to tell what it was or exactly where it'd come from. Shaking his head he pointed towards the possible camp site and asked if that was it.