Iwakuni MABS-17

April 22nd, 2006, 9:58 pm #1

Need help Marines. Anyone know what happened to Iwakuni MABS-17? I was a Cpl. in Iwakuni MABS-17 supply office 1956-1959. Lived Block-8 on 1st floor next to the messhall. I'm seeking Lt. Breen Asst. Provo Marshall and OIC of MABS-17 Supply. Also Supply Sgt.'s Sullivan, Nelson & Ed Masters or anyone that worked our warehouses. Seeking Cpl. Cook of the Squadron Office and Mr. Brown of CID too.
I'd appreciate any info as I've hit a stone wall in my searches. Thanks and Semper Fi - Andrew Peters (former 1959 Cpl. USMC)

November 4th, 2006, 2:08 am #2

I was in Iwakuni from Feb 71 to Feb 72 in H&MS-17.

I don't remember MABS-17.

Mike Procter

November 20th, 2006, 9:01 pm #3

Hi Mike,
I left Iwakuni MABS-17 late Nov. 1959 for stateside. According to your reply, MABS-17 may have been disbanded, renamed or, rumors have it, sent to Okinawa and later 'Nam between my departure and your time there. I have heard it became part of MWSG-17 & lost its MABS-17 name. ???
Major Bortz was the base OIC when I left. He refused my marriage request to a Japanese girl that worked at the old Enlisted Club there. I made it back two years after honorable discharge and married her 46 years ago. Still married too!
Thanks for the info and Semper Fi - Andrew

December 1st, 2006, 5:48 am #4

I was in Iwakuni from Feb 71 to Feb 72 in H&MS-17.

I don't remember MABS-17.

Mike Procter
From rumors, looks like MABS-17 1st MAW was transfered to Okinawa around 1965 and later maybe sent to Danang. I left MABS-17 in 1959 for honorable discharge at El Toro & Treasure Island, so I could get married. MABS-17 may have been disbanded and added to other units or a name change along the line somewhere after Okinawa & 'Nam.
Were you ever issued a MUC or PUC that is a bright-dark blue with a gold frame - similar to, but not quite the same as the Army & Airforce one? I was but can't find any info on it or where to get a replacement ribbon. The Navy/USMC PUC is not the same as what we had as that one has 3 wide vertical color bars. Last month a retired D.I. had a USMC ribbon book that had mine in it but he left before I could get the book name. It's just something more to look for.
Semper Fi - Andrew

March 28th, 2015, 1:11 am #5

Andrew, have you checked out www.grunt.com for your ribbon search?

I was in Iwakuni from mid 62-63 and I was with MABS 17. I went back through on my way to North Camp Fuji in December 68, but was only there over night so don't have any information to update whatever has transpired since 63.

Semper Fi

December 18th, 2017, 7:10 pm #6

Need help Marines. Anyone know what happened to Iwakuni MABS-17? I was a Cpl. in Iwakuni MABS-17 supply office 1956-1959. Lived Block-8 on 1st floor next to the messhall. I'm seeking Lt. Breen Asst. Provo Marshall and OIC of MABS-17 Supply. Also Supply Sgt.'s Sullivan, Nelson & Ed Masters or anyone that worked our warehouses. Seeking Cpl. Cook of the Squadron Office and Mr. Brown of CID too.
I'd appreciate any info as I've hit a stone wall in my searches. Thanks and Semper Fi - Andrew Peters (former 1959 Cpl. USMC)
Andrew:

It's been a while since I logged on and just saw your post of many moons ago. I was transferred from MABS-37 to H&HS-17 which was located at Itami Japan in 1954. The 1st Wing then relocated to NAS Iwakuni in 1955. We were assigned to prepare the warehouse area at Eta-Jima for the arrival of supplies and equipment. Rode back and forth every day for six months by 6x6. Not fun.
Don't remember MABS-17 or any names from that era. Returned to the Land of The Big PX 1955.