The Sayonara Marines

The Sayonara Marines

December 18th, 2000, 1:23 am #1

While serfing the web, I found "The Sayonara Marines." It was great to hear the stories About Japan in the 50's. I was not a marine, but I spent 3 1/2 yrs with the marines as a corpsman. Those were the best years of my life despite the cold winters of Otsu, the hikes in the mountains around Nara and the pineapple fields around Kohuku near Kaneohe base in Hawaii.
I also have to mention Bellows field. I went over to Japan on the USS Noble, landed in Kobe and went by rail to camp Nara. I was assigned to "ABLE" co. Ist battalion 4th marines in Nara Japan. I was transferred to weapons co. at Kaneohe, Hawaii. I ended my military service time at Twenty-Nine Palms, Calif. in the middle of summer.( anybody who has been stationed at Twenty Nine Palms in the summer should get extra pay). I have many pictures of Camp Nara and Kaneohe, maybe some one could recognize some old friends. My E mail adress is pragaci@ aol .com

Margaret
Margaret

November 11th, 2002, 3:42 am #2

Dear PatFirst one to list Camp Nara sofelt like I needed to see if youknew ELGIE H WELLS Tech Sgt. Listed as 3/4/1st battalion in 1953. Japan is my logical choiceas he was wounded Aug 1952 in Korea. If you don't recognise the name can you please pass on to me some info about camp Nara so I cancontinue to compile data I need for research on my Dad's militaryhistory. He was one of Carlson'sraiders and re-enlisted in 1949 and found himself back in the thick of things as Korea heated up.I know he served with 3/5 marinesduring the war but have old pictures with dates of mar/1953 listed on the back.Also have namesSgt.Payne,Sgt.Snuffey Conley andSgt.Robinson. Would appreciateany tid bit of information you could pass on to me if at all possible. Semper FidelisMargaret Wells

lstsgt Kenneth D. Duff U.S.M.C. (Ret)
lstsgt Kenneth D. Duff U.S.M.C. (Ret)

August 18th, 2003, 7:29 pm #3

While serfing the web, I found "The Sayonara Marines." It was great to hear the stories About Japan in the 50's. I was not a marine, but I spent 3 1/2 yrs with the marines as a corpsman. Those were the best years of my life despite the cold winters of Otsu, the hikes in the mountains around Nara and the pineapple fields around Kohuku near Kaneohe base in Hawaii.
I also have to mention Bellows field. I went over to Japan on the USS Noble, landed in Kobe and went by rail to camp Nara. I was assigned to "ABLE" co. Ist battalion 4th marines in Nara Japan. I was transferred to weapons co. at Kaneohe, Hawaii. I ended my military service time at Twenty-Nine Palms, Calif. in the middle of summer.( anybody who has been stationed at Twenty Nine Palms in the summer should get extra pay). I have many pictures of Camp Nara and Kaneohe, maybe some one could recognize some old friends. My E mail adress is pragaci@ aol .com
Hi Doc:
I arrived in nara in November, 1954. Assigned to Baker Co. lstBn 4th Marines. An 0311 Rifleman. We departed Japan for Hawaii in January 1955. We became the lstMarBrigade. If you were with "A" co. you were billeted right next to my barracks. Your CO was Captain Harold White. I knew several Able Co. Marines.I also have to lstMarBrig album that has photos of all unit personnel and many photos of our tactical opetations.
Contact me and we can really get into this one!! I did try to e-mail you a message yesterday but it was returned stating no such address. It's been almost three years since you placed your note with "The Sayonara Marines" so, you probably changed your address. Hopefully you still check out "Sayonara" "Will be standing by" Thanks, Ken Duff

June 19th, 2017, 3:25 am #4

Sgt. Ken Duff

I also arrived in Nara Japan in November 1954 and was assigned to Able Company. Yes we were billeted next door to Baker Co. I was also a "grunt" 0311. I had a good friend in Baker Co. Burt Foster. I was Captain White's radioman for the entire time stationed in Hawaii. If you are still around please let me hear from you. Not many of us are still living.