July 18th, 2007, 9:02 pm #21

I posted here before with an offer to burn a CD with pictures of Camp Gifu and Nakacho but I have had an e-mail change so I need to update that information. The e-mail mentioned in this message is correct. Thanks to some other Marines who have shared pictures with me there are now about 150 on the CD. I send it gratis to anyone looking to revive some old memories.

June 11th, 2012, 4:28 pm #22

I was at Camp gifu with ANGLICO from Aug. 1953 through April 1954 when I was discharged.
I sure remember the village of Nakanoya and about every bar in the town.
I was a Naval gun fire spotter.
At 72 years old I sure don't remember many names, perhaps you can jog my memory

Send EMail if this fits your schedule
I don't remember the name lewis. The only Ted I recall is Ted Kraft. I went to gifu on the Marine Serpent. I was with anglico plt sig. co. Hq Bn. 3rd Mar Div.I was in a air spot team but went to Okinawa as senior Cpl with naval gun fire team of 9. Also went to Iwo Jima. In the last few years I have contacted Ted Kraft, Joe Zambrano and S/SGT Santiago

April 13th, 2016, 11:29 pm #23

I guess I am 2 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon of F-2-9. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. I ended up in 2nd Div. ANGLICO as a Naval Gunfire spotter and did a Med cruise with them.
REGARDS TO YOUR 3RD DIV TOUR JAPAN 1954 THE BASE CLOSE TO KYOTO COULD LIKELY HAVE BEEN CAMP OTSU 3-9-3 A 45 MINUTE BUS TRIP FROM KYOTO, OR CAMP OKOBU CLOSER TO KYOTO. I WAS WITH COMM PLATOON H&S 3-9-3 AT CAMP OTSU. LATER TRANSFERRED TO FIRST MAR DIV KOREA.

October 15th, 2016, 3:43 pm #24

You are right, it was the Last Chance Bar. I arrived there in the fall of 1954. My buddy, "Beau', from Camp Pendelton said we should wait until we find a nice bar before we stop for a drink...he had been in Japan before. We made it as far as the Last Chance Bar, the first bar outside of the main gate. I was with 3rd Mar Div, H&S Company, Radio Communications. What was the name of the town?

Ron Bowren
Hello, I was a field radio operator with HQ, 3rd at Gifu from Feb, 1955 until we moved to Camp McGill later that year. The division was transfered to Okinawa, but the "brass" had interest in "HONEY' so we were able to stay in Japan mainland. I rotated back to the US in April, 1956 and was discharged in Sept, 1956.
I always felt Japan changed my life. I retired in 1997 and moved to the Philippines where I stayed for 11 years.
I never went back to Japan, but maybe will before I go. I am 82 but I am in good shape.. only 10 pounds more than 1955-56!

March 29th, 2017, 12:30 pm #25

Dick,
I served at Camp Gifu and McGill from Apr 55 to June 56. Was in the 3rd Service Bn as a supply clerk. I have many fond memories of Gifu. One in particular was the trail up the mountain behind H&S Co, 3d Serv Bn. From the top you could see a river in the valley below, it was a great sight. Naturally I did not take any pictures of it. As does everyone I remember Naka Cho and the Bar First/Last Chance. I also remember stopping at the Aid station coming back from liberty and taking my almost obligatory pennicilin tablet. Also fond memories of the Service Club. I would like to go back to the Gifu area and see if I could find the base. I am sure it would be difficult to do.

I would like one of the CDs mentioned in your mail. Please let me know the cost and I will put a check in the mail at your convience.

CC Latshaw 1512954
9823 Onyx Dr SW
Lakewood WA 98498-3239
Looks like you and I rode the same rust bucket to Japan in April 1955.I'll never forget the first day out. I was posted in the hold with two other Marines to guard the sea bags. I got sick as a dog for the first and last time that day. The ship rolling thought the swells outside San Diego and the smell of diesel fuel got to me. When the watch was over I was the first one to hit the ladder to the weather deck on a dead run. when I got topside I immediately lost it over the rail.
When we got to Japan we were lined up on the dock in alphabetic order and assigned to different units by our last initial. I wanted to be in a line company, tanks or artillery. I ended up in A Co 3rd Motor Transport battalion and set to Camp GIFU for a few months and then moved to Camp McGill. Gifu was like a resort with manicured lawns, painted curbs, white barracks and plenty of liberty and girls in little old Naka Cho.
I don't know if we crossed paths then but every Marine I met loved the place.
Semper Fi Marine
John E Scally
2004 Harbour Gates Dr
Apt 117
Annapolis,MD 21401
410-271 5644

January 30th, 2018, 7:50 pm #26

To any of you old 3rdMarDiv Camp Gifu Marines out there, I have transferred about 100 pictures onto a CD that I am willing to send to anyone interested. They are about half from the base and the rest taken of various places in Naka Cho. I was in Hq Co, Msg Center Plt and arrived early in 1954 and left early 1955. I do have a shot of the Main Gate taken from the base side and the "First Chance Bar" is in the background. I have ticked the box on the bottom of this page which says, "send responses to my email address. Semper Fi---
Dick Rasmussen, Sgt 1290233
Hi Dick, how are ya? My name is Harold Johnson and I'm the son of Burton Johnson - 1st Lt. JAPAN 1951-1954 6019th Air Base Squadron, APO 710 Camp Gifu - and I wanted to see the pics you have to see where my dad lived. I wonder if you knew him, he was a pilot and I remember hearing that at the war's end he was possibly acting commander of that base or another one, but I've never confirmed that. Please email me back at HLVBBB@GMAIL.COM Thank you

January 30th, 2018, 7:57 pm #27

My uncle was Pfc. Arthur Teachout, and was stationed in Gifu as a recon photographer from (roughly) 1951-1953. I have his scrapbooks from this time, and as well as some fantastic aerial photos of the camps, he took photos of the kids from the Catholic orphanage close by, during the Christmas and Easter seasons when the kids would have #1 ichibon Papa-sans for the day! My uncle also has quite a collection of ladies' photos - hostesses, nightclub singers, geisha - he did have the reputation as a ladies' man! Anyone here remember Artie Teachout? If so, I would really like to hear from you. We lost him in 1999, but he was a Marine to the end, and I'd like to share some of his photos with the guys he served with.
Semper fi, and, from a grateful nation, thank you all.
Hi Julie, how are ya? My name is Harold Johnson and I'm the son of Burton Johnson - 1st Lt. JAPAN 1951-1954 6019th Air Base Squadron, APO 710 Camp Gifu - and I wanted to see the pics you have to see where my dad lived. I wonder if your uncle knew him, he was a pilot and I remember hearing that at the war's end he was possibly acting commander of that base or another one, but I've never confirmed that. Please email me back at HLVBBB@GMAIL.COM Thank you

January 30th, 2018, 7:59 pm #28

I posted here before with an offer to burn a CD with pictures of Camp Gifu and Nakacho but I have had an e-mail change so I need to update that information. The e-mail mentioned in this message is correct. Thanks to some other Marines who have shared pictures with me there are now about 150 on the CD. I send it gratis to anyone looking to revive some old memories.
Hi Dick, how are ya? My name is Harold Johnson and I'm the son of Burton Johnson - 1st Lt. JAPAN 1951-1954 6019th Air Base Squadron, APO 710 Camp Gifu - and I wanted to see the pics you have to see where my dad lived. I wonder if you knew him, he was a pilot and I remember hearing that at the war's end he was possibly acting commander of that base or another one, but I've never confirmed that. There is no link to your email address as you first stated in your first post, and this post lists no email for you either. Please post your email in your actual post or email me back, thx! Please email me back at HLVBBB@GMAIL.COM Thank you