thanks gunny

frank fernandez
frank fernandez

November 17th, 2003, 7:07 pm #1

gunny,thanks for keeping us marines informed of sgt mckeon.my prayers go to him and his family.its been a lot of years,and i agree with will poole.its time we put it to rest. semper fi to all you marines of plt 71.

Jack O'Connor
Jack O'Connor

November 30th, 2003, 3:21 am #2

Can anyone tell me when McKeon left the Corps? Did he retire with a pension or leave at the end of the hitch he was on when the incident happened?
Does anyone know what rank he was when he left?

I've seen a lot of conflicting information distributed as fact and would just like to know the straight scoop. Semper Fidelis.

November 30th, 2003, 1:00 pm #3

The article further down this website page, titled The Day The Corps Changed....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1069382721

seems to indicate that McKeon eventually retired USMC in 1972; however, I do not believe that to be correct, as I and McKeon checked out of Cherry Point Disbursing at the same time in 1959--I was going to HQMC, and McKeon was going out on a medical discharge.

I was a S/Sgt at that time, and to the best of my recollection, McKeon was a L/Cpl--however, others have argued w/me that McKeon was a Cpl (E-3) at that time having been promoted prior to the new (crossed rifles) rank structure prior to 1Jan59--they may well be correct on that point--it has been a long time and memories dim on the finer points.

I do recall discussing the USMCR w/McKeon at that time and I had myself previously taken my discharge and joined a USMCR unit in Providence; McK seemed receptive to the idea as there was a USMCR unit in Worcester, Mass. So he may well have joined, and retired, USMCR--but I personally doubt that he ever returned to active duty, else that would have pretty much been common knowledge in the Corps; nor does John Stevens mention anything relative to this in his book--Court-martial At Parris Island...

Hope this helps.

NOTE:
Anyone viewing this who has factual information on this, please post information/sources--Thank you.

Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines
Last edited by Dick Gaines on November 30th, 2003, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.