Ribbon Creek PISC Plt #71 1956 S/Sgt Matt McKeon USMC

william poole
william poole

September 14th, 2003, 6:07 pm #21

hey Dick...I was scanning through google.com and came across this site again. I'm glad you're still out there. I got in touch with Jay Stevens who wrote the book on McKeon. get in touch with me at my email and let's cover ground since our last conversation a few years back.
Semper Fi
Gene Ervin Plt 71 1956
hey gene,
your the very first person from the plt. that i've ran across since boot camp. And we both know how long thats been. i'm curious to know if theres ever been a reunion on the guys from 71. i've watched the leatherneck mag. for several years and have never seen anything. i'm retired from a firm here in ohio now and have a lot of time for the computor. so if you see this give a buzz at my e-mail.

semper- fi

william poole

frank fernandez
frank fernandez

September 14th, 2003, 9:31 pm #22

hey gunny,
i haven't talked to any one from platoon 71 for several years. you asked for comments so here it is, first of all i'm getting tired of hearing how bad of a platoon we were. in reality i don't suppose we were any worse than any others. i thought than and i still believe the system broke down. the night of our march we were left behind the barracks at the rifle range without supervision. in the many years since the march
i've spent a great deal of time in different areas of supervision. one thing i've learned is you can't leave a large group of young people to thier own devices for any period of time with out horse play. thats where it broke down. if sgt. mckeon had been with or around the platoon that evening instead of drinking there would have been no playing chicken and consequently no march.
i talk to mckeon after graduation and he was a nice guy. but that doesn't change the fact.
I don't blame him as much as his supervisors for not knowing what was going on.
and i don't believe any of that bull **** that it was a normal training exercise to march in ribbon creek. that was a cover up. don't take this letter the wrong way i still think the marine corp is the greatest military force in the world.
will,were you guys in the quonset huts on the mainland?i e mailed gene,but got no response.if you get a chance open up mail plt#55 and read.im also retired and have plenty of time.sgt swinsburg was our d i

william poole
william poole

September 15th, 2003, 12:33 am #23

Frank,
we were in the quonset huts on the way to the rifle range, you know its been so many years ago i lose a lot of details, but i'll never forget the huts, lol . they weren't really that bad though. i also read the book , "incedent at ribbon creek". you know it beats the hell out of me how those guys can remember so much that happened over 40 years ago. all i can remember was getting wet and sgt. mckeon telling me that we lost a few men tonight.
you know parris island was a bitch but i wouldn't trade my 14 weeks there for anything.

semper - fi frank
will poole

gene ervin
gene ervin

September 20th, 2003, 9:01 am #24

hey gene,
your the very first person from the plt. that i've ran across since boot camp. And we both know how long thats been. i'm curious to know if theres ever been a reunion on the guys from 71. i've watched the leatherneck mag. for several years and have never seen anything. i'm retired from a firm here in ohio now and have a lot of time for the computor. so if you see this give a buzz at my e-mail.

semper- fi

william poole
Hey there....I remember you, Poole. I was the Right Guide. It's been a while, but I can remember your name adn I have a foggy recollection of how you looked. Do you remember John Sapp from Savannah? I think he was in our platoon...or maybe I met him in ITR.
Get back in touch if you get this.
Gene Ervin
Semper Fidelis

Gene Ervin
Gene Ervin

September 20th, 2003, 9:05 am #25

gene,just wondering if you got e-mail i sent you
Frank..I haven't received any Eamils from you yet.
Get back to me at my hotmail address when you have time. What state are you in?

will poole
will poole

September 22nd, 2003, 3:03 pm #26

Thank you for responding, I am happy that you have done so--and much appreciated.

Your remarks are well taken--as I understand it, S/Sgt McKeon was the junior DI, and so I don't know if he was the one responsible for nobody in authority having been there for supervision of the platoon, or if possibly somebody else dropped the ball--in any event, you were there, and in a better position to judge than any of us now reading this.

Hopefully, others from Plt #71 will see your post and come forward in dialogue on this important matter.

Again, thank you for responding, Marine!
Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines
hey Gunny,
Good Day to you. You'll notice my e-mail is different. they're changing from attbi.com. to comcast.com and i don't know if comcast is up yet. you said last e-mail kept comming back to comcast so i thought i'd try something different.
I saw in your message you have e-mails for two different members of plt 71. if those are different from gene irvin and myself. could i bother you to send them on to me.
Other than dick drown in huntington, west v. i haven't been able to raise any other of the guys.

semper-fi will poole

will poole
will poole

September 23rd, 2003, 4:40 pm #27

nm
hey gunny,
good day to you, hey i seen in one of your e-mails you said you had e-mail address's for two members of plt. 71. if these are different from gene irvin's and myself could you possably forward these to me. i would greatly appreciate this.other than dick drown in huntington, west virginia i've never been able to contact anyone.thank you for your time sir,

semper- fi will poole

wiil poole
wiil poole

September 27th, 2003, 1:18 pm #28

Hey there....I remember you, Poole. I was the Right Guide. It's been a while, but I can remember your name adn I have a foggy recollection of how you looked. Do you remember John Sapp from Savannah? I think he was in our platoon...or maybe I met him in ITR.
Get back in touch if you get this.
Gene Ervin
Semper Fidelis
hi gene, glad you got my e-mail, iwas in the 7th or 8th squad. can't remember which one. ronny geckle and thomas was in my squad. your the first person other than dick drown i've talked to from the plt. i went to jacksonville fla. after we left p.i.
i'm retired now. just loafing all day. how you doing . have you talked to others from 71.
i never knew what happened to sgt. mckeon until i read the book " incedent at ribbon creek" i'm glad it worked out for mckeon. i really think he was a good guy. will poole

will poole
will poole

October 5th, 2003, 1:04 am #29

nm
Gunny,
out of curosity have you ever heard from anyone pertaining to sgt. king. Our jr. d.i. at p.i. i ran into him once while stationed at kaneho in hawaai.there was a lot written about mckeon but very little of king.
he was a pretty good guy. maybe a little to good of a guy. i can remember him letting the guys smoke after s/sgt. huff had said no smokes. but he wasn't much older than we were.
i just was wondering what happen to him.
did you get the book from the m.c.a with the membership in it. i can't find a darn person that i know. the book was sent out in 2001.
i'll talk to you again. have a good day sir.

will poole
semper fi

October 5th, 2003, 1:21 am #30

No, I never heard anything of King at all--I don't have the book, but I should pick it up--you Marines of Plt #71 who have posted here are the only ones I know of from Plt #71. I did meet S/Sgt McKeon at CPNC in 1958 when he was a Pfc or Cpl there at MAG-24, and he moonlighted at the EM Club nites. In about July '59 McKeon and I hit Disbursing at the same time to check out--I had orders to HQMC; and he was going out on a medical discharge.

I recall we had a brief conversation there--I had gone out myself between enlistments (1955-56) and joined the USMCR in Providence, RI--McKeon mentioned that he might join the USMCR--he was from Worcester, Mass, and I think he may have joined the USMCR unit there--I was never able to get a response from that USMCR unit when I requested info a few years ago, but apparently McK was already deceased at that time.

I have received info from other Marines indicating that McKeon had been a frequesnt guest speaker at various Marine Corps league/VFW/vets organizations for a few years prior to his death.

S/F
Dick
Last edited by Dick Gaines on October 5th, 2003, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.