LSTs used for post-war recruiting?

LSTs used for post-war recruiting?

bob4wd
bob4wd

March 7th, 2003, 6:00 am #1

I seem to remember an event that took place in the mid-to-late 40's, I was just a kid and it was a long time ago, but a pair of (I think) LSTs were tied up in the Conn. river for a week or so, on a recruiting or War Bonds drive or ??, in which one of them was set up internally, the whole length of the ship, with a recreation of a typical Pacific islands battle. There were thick jungle foliage and typical sounds to go with the scene, along with sounds of battle, Japanese soldiers mannindg their guns, and all like that . Very impressive to a young mind, especially one filled with patriotic fervor at that time.
Anyway, does this ring a bell? Do you have any info at all, or is my senility setting in?
Much thanks, Bob

March 7th, 2003, 6:17 am #2

I have no personal knowledge of this--but I do recall an e-mail from a Marine who was stationed aboard a ship mentioning something like this--I think it was in response to his having visited my 1947 Freedom Train site!

Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines

bob4wd
bob4wd

March 7th, 2003, 6:37 pm #3

Thanks for the feedback. The time sounds about right, at least I know it wasn't totally my imagination. Sure would like to know just what it was all about, though!