camp gifu

camp gifu

October 23rd, 2000, 3:55 am #1

fox co 2nd bat 9th mar are there any of you ole
rickshaw daddies around anymore holding short time paper from 1st chance bar ?if so would like to say hello iam sure there are a few ricepaddy daddies in circulation out there ok boy=son
semper fi red cullen

Ted Lewis
Ted Lewis

January 26th, 2002, 4:20 am #2

I was at Camp gifu with ANGLICO from Aug. 1953 through April 1954 when I was discharged.
I sure remember the village of Nakanoya and about every bar in the town.
I was a Naval gun fire spotter.
At 72 years old I sure don't remember many names, perhaps you can jog my memory

Send EMail if this fits your schedule

Fred Butcher
Fred Butcher

June 9th, 2002, 1:06 am #3

rickshaw daddies around anymore holding short time paper from 1st chance bar ?if so would like to say hello iam sure there are a few ricepaddy daddies in circulation out there ok boy=son
semper fi red cullen
When you were coming the other way was the bar called the Last Chance?

Ron Bowren
Ron Bowren

August 8th, 2002, 4:58 am #4

You are right, it was the Last Chance Bar. I arrived there in the fall of 1954. My buddy, "Beau', from Camp Pendelton said we should wait until we find a nice bar before we stop for a drink...he had been in Japan before. We made it as far as the Last Chance Bar, the first bar outside of the main gate. I was with 3rd Mar Div, H&S Company, Radio Communications. What was the name of the town?

Ron Bowren

Ted Lewis
Ted Lewis

August 17th, 2002, 8:35 pm #5

The name of the town was Nakanoya as I remember it. I was there from Aug. 53 to Mar of 54 with 3 weeks out for exercises at Camp fuji. I was in Anglico and stationed at gifu. And yes it was the first bar off the base and was located next to public bath house.

Carl McGehee
Carl McGehee

September 24th, 2002, 6:09 pm #6

I was at Camp gifu with ANGLICO from Aug. 1953 through April 1954 when I was discharged.

Was Corpsman with Hq.Bn. sickbay, Good to hear from someone that was there

G. Robertson
G. Robertson

May 19th, 2003, 1:07 am #7

You are right, it was the Last Chance Bar. I arrived there in the fall of 1954. My buddy, "Beau', from Camp Pendelton said we should wait until we find a nice bar before we stop for a drink...he had been in Japan before. We made it as far as the Last Chance Bar, the first bar outside of the main gate. I was with 3rd Mar Div, H&S Company, Radio Communications. What was the name of the town?

Ron Bowren
I spent a year and a half there. Property Sgt of 3rd Med Bn. I never heard the town called anything but Naka-cho. My main hangout was the Sparrow bar about three blocks down on the left after you got on to the only paved street. If you had Cinderella liberty you had to cut through the rice paddies in the dark to get back to the base from the back, which made it kind of slippery in the spring.

John "Jack" Genz
John "Jack" Genz

November 23rd, 2004, 5:01 pm #8

semper fi red cullen
I guess I am 4 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. I remember the train station was Sugumoto, but I think the base had another name.

John Genz
John Genz

November 23rd, 2004, 5:11 pm #9

I guess I am 4 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon of F-2-9. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. That would have been after you were discharged. I guess I replaced you since when I got back to the States, I ended up in 2nd Div. ANGLICO as a Naval Gunfire spotter and did a Med cruise with them.

John Genz
John Genz

November 23rd, 2004, 5:12 pm #10

I guess I am 4 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon of F-2-9. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. That would have been after you were discharged. I guess I replaced you since when I got back to the States, I ended up in 2nd Div. ANGLICO as a Naval Gunfire spotter and did a Med cruise with them.