1st Marine Air Wing... 1st Division in China

1st Marine Air Wing... 1st Division in China

Robert Melvin Callahan
Robert Melvin Callahan

December 29th, 2000, 9:34 pm #1

I am looking for members of the 1st Division who where in China with my husband. He often speaks about different friends that he would like to see once again but refuses to use the computer. I get short story's now and again but not a whole lot. My husband is 76 yrs young and joined the Marines from New Kensington, PA... April 13,1943 to April 13,1946... stationed at Bainbridge,Maryland.. San Diego Naval Air Station, Calif.. Memphis,Tenn., Jacksonville, Fla., New Bern, NC.. Combat duty Asiatic Pacific Area June 22,1945-Mar. 24,1946...Mindanoa, Admidlty Islands, New Guinea, Biak, Marati, Luzon, Okinawa, China(Peping etc)
This would really help him if he could once again reunite with others who served proudly with him.
Thank you for you time in reading this message.
Peace Be With You Piece By Piece
Wife/Sarah Jane

Lyle Hopkins
Lyle Hopkins

January 4th, 2001, 5:18 pm #2

I was in 1st air wing vmf 115 mag 24 at air base in
peping china 1946.We pulled guard durty on rail road
from tinson china to peping and had f4u in air along
rail way.the commies would blow up the rails and it
took us about three days to make trip if things worked
out o.k. like to hear from any others that was in peping. email mrpolice@bayou.com chief lyle hopkins
ph:318/647/3490 home:318/647/3351 home:email MRJHop@aol.com i still work as chief at age 73.
i was raised in a childrens home in Rustom,La

Chuck Hardesty
Chuck Hardesty

January 4th, 2001, 9:31 pm #3

Lyle, Iwas at West Field in Peiping from October `45 until sometime in `46 and was transferred to South Field until July of `46. I was in SMS12 MAG12 1st MAW in Zamboanga Mindenao and went up to Taku on USS Sheridan in October `45. Came back to the States on USS Gen. J.C. Breckenridge in July `46. Rode a troop train from Dago to Lejeune and discharged 10 August `46. My home address is 1856 Hunter Ave., Mobile, Ala.36606-1331.
Semper Fi.
PS Are you member of the China Marine Association? Just costs $10 a year.

Chuck Hardesty
Chuck Hardesty

January 4th, 2001, 9:48 pm #4

I am looking for members of the 1st Division who where in China with my husband. He often speaks about different friends that he would like to see once again but refuses to use the computer. I get short story's now and again but not a whole lot. My husband is 76 yrs young and joined the Marines from New Kensington, PA... April 13,1943 to April 13,1946... stationed at Bainbridge,Maryland.. San Diego Naval Air Station, Calif.. Memphis,Tenn., Jacksonville, Fla., New Bern, NC.. Combat duty Asiatic Pacific Area June 22,1945-Mar. 24,1946...Mindanoa, Admidlty Islands, New Guinea, Biak, Marati, Luzon, Okinawa, China(Peping etc)
This would really help him if he could once again reunite with others who served proudly with him.
Wife/Sarah Jane
Sarah, I just replied to Lyle Hopkins. I was at Zamboanga on island of Mindanao and went up to Taku China on USS Sheridan in October `45. I was in SMS12 Marine Air Group 12 1st Marine Air Wing at West Field in Peiping China until about April of `6 and we all moved to South Field in MAG 24. I was NCO in charge oftrnasient officer quarters at South Field untill July of `46 and came home USS Gen. J.C> Breckenridge.
Is your husband a member of the China Marine Association? It only costs $10 ayear. He should definitely be a member. Let me hear if he`s interested.
Semper Fi My home address is 1856 Hunter Ave., Mobile, Ala., 36606-1331.

john lee
john lee

February 11th, 2001, 3:00 am #5

I was in 1st air wing vmf 115 mag 24 at air base in
peping china 1946.We pulled guard durty on rail road
from tinson china to peping and had f4u in air along
rail way.the commies would blow up the rails and it
took us about three days to make trip if things worked
out o.k. like to hear from any others that was in peping. email mrpolice@bayou.com chief lyle hopkins
ph:318/647/3490 home:318/647/3351 home:email MRJHop@aol.com i still work as chief at age 73.
i was raised in a childrens home in Rustom,La
I was with A co Engineers at peiping 1946-1947 Give me an answer

Chief Lyle Hopkins
Chief Lyle Hopkins

February 12th, 2001, 4:45 pm #6

John received your mail. I was stationed at nan wong air base in PEKING vmf 115 1ST Marine air wing.WE had the old F4U the old gull wing air craft.the china air force was also at this base also VMF 214. We received all our supplys from tinsin and they came by way of rail road. We pulled guard duty on the trains. whenwe went in to peking you had to have side arm.At the bus stop if you recall the children would be there "saying no mamy no papy no flight pay you comshaw me g.i.joe>
also some saying i know nice 16 year old school girl
you pay me i take you. I know you remember the"honey
buckets" ALL WE HAD WAS OPEN HEADS.MY E-mAIL
mrpolice@bayou.com office Home MRJHop@aol.com.
thanks,Chief Hopkins

Chuck Hardesty
Chuck Hardesty

February 17th, 2001, 7:32 pm #7

Lyle, there were two airfields at Peiping, Lantienchang [West Field] and Nanyouwan [South Field]. I was at West Field from October `45 until about MAY OF `46 when we all moved to South Field.
West Field was out near the Summer Palace and the Yenching University. That`s where we kept the Japs before they were sent home.
Did you get the application for the China Marine Association?

Robert E. Stephens, Jr.
Robert E. Stephens, Jr.

April 5th, 2001, 11:47 pm #8

Wife/Sarah Jane
Dear Madam: My father served with the First Marine Air Wing in China. Please see one of the other messages I posted on the message board. He can be reached at (606) 376- 2042 or
Robert E. Stephens
1200 Lick Creek Rd.
Whitley City, KY 42653
I know he would enjoy hearing from your husband.

Sarah Callahan
Sarah Callahan

April 6th, 2001, 11:53 am #9

Wife/Sarah Jane
I've been showing my husband responses to my posting. Most of them would be after Robert left China. Robert went into China October 1945 and left February 1946. Robert was with the forward echelon.

Robert E. Stephens, Sr.
Robert E. Stephens, Sr.

April 18th, 2001, 10:57 pm #10

John received your mail. I was stationed at nan wong air base in PEKING vmf 115 1ST Marine air wing.WE had the old F4U the old gull wing air craft.the china air force was also at this base also VMF 214. We received all our supplys from tinsin and they came by way of rail road. We pulled guard duty on the trains. whenwe went in to peking you had to have side arm.At the bus stop if you recall the children would be there "saying no mamy no papy no flight pay you comshaw me g.i.joe>
also some saying i know nice 16 year old school girl
you pay me i take you. I know you remember the"honey
buckets" ALL WE HAD WAS OPEN HEADS.MY E-mAIL
mrpolice@bayou.com office Home MRJHop@aol.com.
thanks,Chief Hopkins
Chief Hopkins:
My son, Robert E. Stephens, Jr. saw your message and made a copy for me. I was in 1st MAW, pulled guard duty on the trains and helped to keep the railroad open from Tienstein to Peiping. We flew F7F3Ns. Just wrote an article for the McCreary County Record, as the Navy's EP-3 surveillance spy plane incident brought back memories of my duty in China. My address is Robert E. Stephens 1200 Lick Creek Rd. 42653. Many friends in China. We left Chinhuamtao in December with the Communists hot on our heels. I flew with Pete Bonner, Sam Arcand, Dan George, and many others. Still have my old orders and a silver cigarette case made for me by a Chinese silversmith in Peiping. I am 80 years young now but still have recollections of my days in Peiping and Tienstein at the French Arsenal. Our departure from that area was to Hawaii where I was stationed for about 3 years.
Robert E. Stephens, Sr.