Moderator: Moderators

Volks 1/100 Rainbow Boowray unboxing

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

February 23rd, 2018, 7:51 pm #1

Another of my favourite Mortar Headds from The Five Star Stories, the Rainbow Boowray. This original resin kit was produced by Volks some time in the 80s. I picked it up on Yahoo Auctions in new and sealed condition.

Cheers :D

About 60 parts on 3 runners.
[+] Spoiler
Very heavy, solid resin parts.
[+] Spoiler

Waist block and chest:
[+] Spoiler
More parts and detail:
[+] Spoiler

2 pairs of knees. The yellow version of the Boowray has the lines on the knees, whereas the red and blue versions' knees are plain. Both options are supplied so you can accurately reproduce either version. On the Wave 1/144 kit, those lines are a decal.
[+] Spoiler

The kit comes with 2 arm-mounted smaller shields and also this pretty huge single shield:
[+] Spoiler
The decals seem to have suffered some yellowing. Most likely due to their age.
[+] Spoiler

Instructions:
[+] Spoiler

The kit will need to be pinned, obviously. For the most part, the joints are ball and socket so it must be free-pose, to a certain extent. This may prove trickier and less straight-forward than my ongoing fixed-pose KAN Beta build, but there should be more leeway to achieve my preferred pose and stance.

It's awesome to have my first original FSS resin kit. Maybe the casting and surface quality isn't on par with more recently produced kits, but it doesn't really bother me. The hard work will be worth it and I'm excited to start building it and eventually have this bad-ass looking Mortar Headd kit on display.

Full res image gallery: https://imgur.com/a/Xwukt
Last edited by Monsterist76 on February 25th, 2018, 8:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

February 23rd, 2018, 8:17 pm #2

Congrats
the decal looks usable, that degree of yellowing can likely be fixed by sticking them on the window for sunbath. But only do this when you are painting it.

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

February 23rd, 2018, 8:54 pm #3

Thanks for the tip. So the sunbath will bleach out the apparent yellowing from the white areas of the decals but leave the other colours pretty much as is? I'm just a little concerned about reducing the vibrancy of the colours in the process. How long would you recommend leaving them in the sun?

I emailed Samuel Decals a while ago about replacement decals but never heard back from him :( . If all else fails, I will just repaint the white areas straight on top of the decals themselves. I will try your sunbath idea first, though.

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

February 23rd, 2018, 9:40 pm #4

In my case I left them up for a week, while it was cloudy, check periodically.
The color didn't seem to change.

Amaterasu
Amaterasu

February 24th, 2018, 1:30 pm #5

Thank you for taking the time to review this! I am very impressed by the details.

Can I see under the shoulders, legs and feet, please?

Yellowing decals + window trick + time seems to be commonly used, and works as a solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NycfsTSBykc

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

February 24th, 2018, 7:36 pm #6

I especially like the organic, ribbed detail on the underside of the back plate. There is a similar ribbed detail on the underside of the skirt armour too. Instead of the usual engraved panel lines, there are thin, raised ridges.

Here's the pictures you requested:
[+] Spoiler

Heels:

Nothing under the legs

Unless you meant this:

I added these images to the end of the gallery, if you want to see the full res versions:

https://imgur.com/a/Xwukt

I vaguely recall ingenhk mentioning the decal sunbath trick in the FSS thread a while ago but had totally forgotten about it. It is a great tip, and based on that Wave KOG decal sheet image and the end result seen in that YouTube video, it really works and restores decals to their former glory. Fingers crossed it does the trick for me. I will also store them in a ziplock bag in a sealed tub to help preserve them in the meantime.

"That degree of yellowing can likely be fixed by sticking them on the window for sunbath. But only do this when you are painting it."

ingenhk, were you implying that it wouldn't be advisable to leave the decals in the sun now, but instead wait until I am ready to apply them to the kit?
On a side note, I would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts on me opening, building and painting this sealed, original, vintage kit. Are there any modellers here who would never open the box, to preserve the monetary value, for instance? The way I see it, at that point, all you own is a box.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of collecting merely for ownership. Regardless of rarity or price of the item. I can understand this practice with figures, for example, where there is usually a window in the packaging so the item is still visible even if kept in mint condition. But until a model kit is built and painted, it is just a bunch of parts in a box, most likely put away in storage, never to be seen again.

By building and painting the kit, I am bringing it to life and realizing what it was originally intended for all those years ago. I know I'm getting a little philosophical here, but you get my meaning ^_^
Last edited by Monsterist76 on February 24th, 2018, 10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Squee
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

February 24th, 2018, 9:13 pm #7

Very cool! Belongs in the review section though, no?

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

February 24th, 2018, 9:38 pm #8

Squee wrote:Very cool! Belongs in the review section though, no?
You think? To me, this is just a quick look at the box contents. I can't give any opinion on the quality of the resin or fit of the parts - things that would constitute a review - at this stage. I would only feel qualified to give a review of the kit after having worked on it. Maybe I will cover that kind of thing in a future WIP.

I would like to see more unboxings/reviews of original FSS kits here. It would be very interesting to see the differences of rare originals with more commonly owned, inferior recasts. Casting quality, metal parts, photo-etch etc. If anyone has any lying around and some time on their hands...

I'm sure the other FSS enthusiasts would also appreciate it.

Zip
Guru
Guru

February 24th, 2018, 9:42 pm #9

There's a whole slew of FSS GK unboxings in the old review section. Very useful stuff.

Squee
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

February 24th, 2018, 9:45 pm #10

Yea that's the point of that section, to post unboxings, etc.

I'm sure a mod/admin will move it eventually.

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

February 24th, 2018, 10:12 pm #11

Less the risk of it turning yellow again so wait until you are about to use them, there is no guarantee how many time you can bleach them.

and I'm all for building it, as I rant before, people save their favorite kit for last, I say do your favorite first and asap, the more you hang out with those folks and hold on to things, the less likely you will make progress with this hobby.
Last edited by ingenhk on February 24th, 2018, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fsskog
Fan
Fan

September 13th, 2018, 11:09 am #12