Volks 1/100 Eleshis review

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

July 25th, 2018, 8:21 am #1

Here is an original 1/100 resin kit of the Eleshis, made by Volks. It is a Mortar Headd from The Five Star Stories. I got it for a reasonable price on Yahoo Japan. Although that price did go up quite a bit when taking into consideration proxy buyer fees and shipping to the UK.

Volks made two kits of the Eleshis. This one and a later re-issue in the MM (Mechanical Moving) packaging. After a little research and enquiring on the FSS thread here, I realised that this version was the one to get. The re-issue omitted the emblem detail on the shoulder and Mirage Knight number on the shield, to reflect how the appearance of the MH changed in the manga due to plot development. This version still has the posable joints of the MM line but is in the "Nagano Mamoru Collection" packaging.

Many pictures in spoiler:
[+] Spoiler

The kit has nice, crisp, clean casting and detail.

Here is the aforementioned shoulder emblem. It adds a nice bit of detail and flair to the design:

And the Mirage Knight number in Roman numerals on the shield:

The back of the shield with the blade attached:

More parts - waist, hip and chest:
[+] Spoiler

There's some flash on a couple of parts. It looks pretty bad but shouldn't be a problem to remove and clean up. Here is the head:

There are also mold/seam lines on some parts. I suppose it is best that they have been left as is. A recaster would probably overzealously attempt to remove them and remove detail and/or alter the sculpt in the process. Notice the step along the edge of the skirt:

And here on the internal edge of the same part:
[+] Spoiler

More miscellaneous parts:
[+] Spoiler

The only immediately obvious warping on the kit - one of the swords ( the MH only wields one sword but two are supplied, one with the hand as part of the mold and one "loose").

More parts on the runner:
[+] Spoiler

The kit can be displayed with or without heels. I will be going for the heelless look, and will pin the kit to a base if it is too precarious as a result of lacking heels.

And finally, the reverse of the picture of the finished kit - an advert for the MM Empress Flame, Siren A and Terror Mirage:

I am not really bothered about retaining the posability of the kit. By all accounts, the polycap joints of Volks' MM line aren't too effective and can be tricky to work with. I will at least try them and see how it goes, but if it proves too troublesome, I will convert the kit to fixed pose. I'm not too sure how to do this. Is it simply a case of using the supplied pc parts but gluing them in place, or do I eradicate them altogether and pin the kit instead?

Last edited by Monsterist76 on August 7th, 2018, 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

electric indigo
electric indigo

July 25th, 2018, 8:51 am #2

Thank you for presenting one of the more esoteric kits & good luck with those seamlines.

I'd recommend getting rid of the PVC parts and pin the kit from the beginning, it will be tricky enough to get it into a balanced pose.

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

July 25th, 2018, 9:17 am #3

It is a simple yet stylish and elegant design that is often overlooked. Thanks for taking a look and for the tip.

I don't think I'll be starting this one any time soon. The Boowray will probably be next and I still have lots of work to do on the K.A.N. No time for modelling at the moment, though, sadly, with all the hours I am currently working. Regardless, I couldn't miss the opportunity to pick up an original Eleshis for a reasonable price.

Zip
Guru
Guru

July 28th, 2018, 10:19 pm #4

Monsterist76 wrote:After a little research and enquiring on the FSS thread here, I realised that this version was the one to get. The re-issue omitted the emblem detail on the shoulder and Mirage Knight number on the shield, to reflect how the appearance of the MH changed in the manga due to plot development.
It probably doesn't matter much to you since you already have this version, but the change in the design for the kit is because it was retconned into becoming the Rouge Mirage, a mass-production support unit for the Jagd Mirages rather than a custom personalized MH like the Eleshis. This kit that you have is the Eleshis, but the later version without the emblem is the Rouge. The design itself isn't really that popular because it never makes an appearance in the manga, and some have said that it's too similar to the earlier heel-less Neptune to really stand out.

Regardless, I like how you're chasing after the less popular designs like this and the Boowray. For an MM kit, this seems like one of the few designs that might actually work with the joints since it's lighter and slimmer than most MH. If the provided joints aren't good enough, something from Hobby Base would be a perfect replacement.
Last edited by Zip on July 28th, 2018, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

July 29th, 2018, 7:41 am #5

Thanks for the clarification on the design change and general feeling of the fanbase regarding this MH. Sometimes just the lineart is enough for a design to appeal to me. It is always nice to know the backstory and what part a MH plays in the grand scheme, but I can also appreciate a design purely from an aesthetic standpoint.

I was going off what it says on Gearsonline. I think it says that someone went off in the Eleshis to provide aid in a conflict in an unofficial capacity, so all AKD affiliation markings were stricken from the MH.

I will give the supplied joints a go and maybe replace them if needs be but, as I say, posability isn't really a priority so I may just lose that aspect altogether and pin the kit instead.

Zip
Guru
Guru

July 29th, 2018, 8:28 am #6

Monsterist76 wrote:I was going off what it says on Gearsonline. I think it says that someone went off in the Eleshis to provide aid in a conflict in an unofficial capacity, so all AKD affiliation markings were stricken from the MH.
Yeah, Gears Online's explanation was not entirely accurate. They did actually mention the fact that the Rouge Mirage was the Eleshis, but the portion concerning the Majestic Stand was nonsense- it was simply a recolor of the design Nagano did for FSS Designs I, which is also where he retconned it into becoming the Rouge Mirage. The Z on the shoulder of the Eleshis stood for "Zanda City", which is where the pilot (Princess Qukey) originated from.

Gears as a whole is a problematic site that is both outdated and filled with inaccuracies that is only useful for certain pieces of information and having a decent library of images. I treat it as an extension of MAHQ. Because FSS has retconned itself numerous times even before Gothicmade, many of the pages written do not really sync with each other because they're using contradictory information from sources from different eras, causing some pages on the site to be up-to-date circa the late 2000s while others haven't been changed since 2004. Doesn't help that a lot of it seems to rely on the rather badly organized English translations.

The site itself became inactive a decade ago, and that's when I considered it a dead resource.

(None of this will make any difference to your enjoyment of the design, but it is worth knowing for the next time you search for more information on a certain design)
Last edited by Zip on July 29th, 2018, 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

fsskog
Fan
Fan

July 31st, 2018, 10:26 am #7

I feel this kit has a lot of potential to be very special. I like it even more than the empress flame when I first see both in plastic style book. (Empress head looks a bit odd, but the later drawings has made it really awesome.) I doubt it wasn't popular. Wave and volks both hurry to make the kit. It is less popular now as it did not appear in the comics. If it had a chapter dedicated to it in action, it would be in high demand as well. Nagano seems to have forgotten how Qukey was recruited to the AKD??? But I guess that leaves the kit to have more room in imagination.
The numeral disappearance is echoed to the knight flag Led V3 infernal design update. Nagano decided to remove all the numerals as the led is a killing machine. He said there would be no outside symbol to prevent people from knowing who pilots the machine. He said there has never been numerals or eye shadows or flowers... removing the Aisha's custom. But by comic vol.14, the GTM "led" will resume using numerals. (I always find the numerals are really cool, a character of the led. Volks kept that option in their IMS led decal, despite against nagano's data and emperor design dares to break that rule. )

I feel the kit can have very interesting customization. Paint scheme, I would do more feminine color. (plastic style is the beginning of high heels and very womanly design. other than the female cross mirage. He seems to be more open to use girly color by luminous mirage. )
Or try different pose, etc. I would even change the armor on the calf.

for now, to support, here is a pic. btw, this is also the only kit in the FSS line that has a pectoral/ scapula retraction mechanism and reveals some internal mechanism.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44297664@ ... ed-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44297664@ ... ed-public/
https://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/f104639214/
http://caamodelbooth.gamagaeru.jp/33.htm
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s587106528
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blog ... m=postList
Last edited by fsskog on July 31st, 2018, 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

August 1st, 2018, 12:09 pm #8

Nagano didn't say the number on the LED is not canon, it's canon then and now for 3159,
He only said the number is removed from the drawing of this 3159 V3, and no other marking other than the standardized ones(no Aisha's flower), which he said in KF, "the markings are the same on every LED other than the shoulder number."

There is the bust drawing for the LED with III, on the same book, same canon, the numbers are only removed that Napalm drawing, not removed from canon.

Also, whether whatever Emperor does is brilliant or gutsy, I guess it's up to Ohishi or people with similar taste to find no issue with this typeface.

and that Napalm drawing is specifically Rognar and Est's machine.
On every Emperor builds, the EST marking is still there, I guess there are 2 Fatima in there.

Monsterist76
Monsterist76

August 2nd, 2018, 9:00 am #9

Thanks for the links. It makes me want to get started on the kit! I will be replicating the colour scheme of the line art and may subtly metallicize the blue with the addition of a little metallic blue or silver to the mix.

Does the blue version of the Eleshis with the shoulder emblem appear in any of the Designs books? I have the first three but can't find it, just the grey version. It would be handy reference to have the lineart to hand when painting the kit. What book does this lineart image come from?

fsskog
Fan
Fan

August 2nd, 2018, 9:19 am #10

I won't be too certain when it comes to Nagano data. which is conflicting on its own, up for interpretation and changes as how he woke up that day.

The bust open picture of Led, is actually not prepared at the same time as knight flags. It was made for newtype calendar prior and got compiled into KF. As we knew of Nagano, the official data is this very moment or the last moment he talked about it, which is the naplam itself. Everything said before can be trashed. He said there is no outside marking to differentiate who is who. thus no numerals. Invalidate the book cover of Mirage. When volks portrays that picture on box art, they would not put on numerals as a result. All led mirages will look identical.

As for fatima, I am not sure if the three hooks represent Est. May be may be not. At KF release time, the three hooks symbol is revealed to originate from mother of Kaien, the AD times diver, Yarnn Vatshu. At this time, Amaterasu has plan for Monarch Sacred, just like Empress Nien, last AD era empress. The speculation leans toward Monarch Sacred than Est. On the contrary, the little paragraph of description says one may be able to guess who is the fatima from the subtlety on that illustration. It is hard to say. Cause Nagano always put in misleading leads, such as A.T. for Amaterasu but actually the not yet appeared Atropos. If it is Est, it is too trivial to be FSS. and it is hardly subtle as author said. And how does it make sense if the theme is not to reveal pilots? It is hard to say it is definitely wrong to have the three hooks with a fatima other than Est.

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

August 2nd, 2018, 9:42 am #11

The shoulder numbers are mentioned in the KF at least twice, one for the bust the other for the article only for KF, and the GTM lineart doesn't have number, doesn't mean number is taken away from canon. Simply omitted from those drawings. He didn't say there is no marking to be identified, just 'no marking other than the standardized one.

Fatima marking, It's Nagano's words that say you can tell who's piloting, the only way to tell, look at Volks IMS decal, that's all the marking and hints, none other than the tomoe is unique and not shared with other, it's subtle becasue it's half shown, and a tiny one on the elbow, other markings are fully drawn, unless you say Nagano words in KF doesn't count, except the part where he said the number is absent from the Napalm drawing count, that one counts though. Convient Logic
Last edited by ingenhk on August 2nd, 2018, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

fsskog
Fan
Fan

August 2nd, 2018, 10:27 am #12

Monsterist: The eleshis first appeared in plastic style (the book). It has empress flame and Concord on the cover. It is a very nice book. You will see much better color printing. The design books are great. a much cheaper option which is necessary. But it carries a "soil" pixels in the illustration as comparison. I post more pictures later.
The older books are nice to get if you want the best illustration of Nagano's work.

I personally feel it is not entirely necessary to replicate the exact color. I admit typically the illustration is result of a lot of work and thoughts. And is a good standard. However, there can exist better scheme. eg, Eleshis, SR3 were changed. well, he put some reasons and all, but I definitely find the changed version has better color choice. (may be not the printing due to the soil mix.) Female cross mirage lineart is green and gray, many uses pink instead. Pink looks much better. Ashura temple lineart is some sort of pinkish red. I would never paint it that way. No one I have seen uses that.
It is up to you what color to use.
I showed that build for its pose.

Come to think of it, volks have reinvented colors for a lot of MHs. Zakker in beige, not orange. Ashura in deep red, not purple pink. Female cross. Devoncha and Barunja. SR1 lineart was originally light green in NT/TOJ. volks uses colus white. (years later, volks painted one with light green.)

WSC has uses a different green for jagd mirage, atoll. That choice of green to the jagd I feel is much more suitable to its style of sculpt than the lighter green Nagano uses.

all i am saying is do whatever you see fit.
doesn't Est become Vatsher when she does not find and serve Black Knight? She won't be using the three hooks with her alter ego? It is anyone's guess.
Last edited by fsskog on August 2nd, 2018, 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

August 2nd, 2018, 11:04 am #13

Simple logical deduction, even if you are not certain which one is on that machine, it's a known fact the drawing included hints about it, that's the factor. and if anyone builds a model following that drawing, for all the details, wants to add number on it, but doesn't know how to eliminate that hidden factor, that means you'll have two things in the details contradicting each other. unless you just happen to use the correct number, other time the number would be the wrong number, simply the LED is specified to someone already.

GTM Apter doesn't have that one anymore, all the marking
Last edited by ingenhk on August 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.