Zip
Guru
Guru

September 11th, 2018, 11:56 pm #6181

It has a Toyspress sticker on it, so it could be legit.  Or maybe a bootleg being passed off as an original.

TheAdmiral
TheAdmiral

September 12th, 2018, 12:55 am #6182

Zip wrote: It has a Toyspress sticker on it, so it could be legit.  Or maybe a bootleg being passed off as an original.
In my 28 years of collecting FSS kits, I have never once seen an authentic Kaiyodo kit with:
-a 1-piece fold-up mailer box
-box-art featuring a built but unpainted unpainted kit
-a box that does not prominently display the company name and the name of the sculptor

But I've seen knock-off Rolexes complete with case-back holograms that cost less than an average FSS recast, so clearly that's not a reliable measure of authenticity anymore.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 12th, 2018, 1:15 am #6183

Found the original listing on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiyodo-Huntin ... 2711539448

It looks pretty legit. 

ingenhk
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

September 12th, 2018, 1:40 am #6184

Another way to tell, look into the parts, if it include all those thin purring gates, seen in the 3rd pic here https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c644931917
If so, that means if it is a knockoff, the recaster did not remove the mold lines that are on the 'original', there will be 2 mold lines on a part.
a legit product will only have one mold line, it's normal for a Kaiyodo kit to have some steps and flashes. But only 1 mold line.
an example of 2 mold lines here.

MachineMessiah
MachineMessiah

September 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm #6185

Knolly wrote: Can anyone confirm, is this a legit original Kaiyodo 1/220 Jagd Mirage?

Just picked this up and I have to admit I'm somewhat surprised by the casting quality.  It's not bad by any means but there are quite a few bits of flash, etc.
I think I know what you mean. You're so excited about getting a Tani kit, and then when you're inspecting the parts you're thinking what is this? I remember I was so hyped about getting Tani's Clouds Schatze, and after opening it I had to confirm whether or not what I received was an original as it looked like a recast.

jlyc
jlyc

September 12th, 2018, 6:46 pm #6186

Zip wrote: Hey jlyc!  Welcome to have you here.  By any chance, were you the guy who had some "painful memories" with your copy of the Twin Tower kit?  
Never had a twin tower...the 1/220 jagd was painful enough to build!

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 13th, 2018, 4:44 am #6187

Looks familiar...

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 13th, 2018, 4:45 am #6188

jlyc wrote:Never had a twin tower...the 1/220 jagd was painful enough to build!
I see, I must have misremembered you with someone else then.  The guy who got his 1/100 Twin Tower (and a bunch of other FSS kits) stolen by his roommate. 

fsskog
Fan
Fan

September 13th, 2018, 9:35 am #6189

I don't remember if I have posted this finish build before.   Kaiyodo Snake soldier made in 87/88
1)   http://blog.livedoor.jp/kazxxxjp/archiv ... 56344.html

2) 

Knolly, congrats on getting the kit.  How much did you pay for it?  

September 13th, 2018, 5:13 pm #6190

Hello everyone! Decided to sign up because I saw some familiar faces here from the old days of discussing FSS stuff at Hobby Fanatics (and older places like gearsonline and heika.net). I think I remember Knolly, jlyc, and possibly fsskog and TheAdmiral if they are who I think they are. Hi guys!

I've been a bit out of FSS lately as the GM stuff has been really unappealing to me. But I recently found a local shop that can sell me the IMS kits at a very reasonable price, so I've been buying some of those. Scrolling back through some pages here, I saw some photos of the IMS KOG - nice to know it's still in the works. A long time ago, there was supposed to be an IMS Auge too. I wonder what's going on with that one?

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 13th, 2018, 5:59 pm #6191

Hello Amaterasu.  I remember you from HF, if you are who I think you are.  It seems the remainder of HF has decided to migrate here these past few weeks for whatever reason.  Regardless, welcome to GE.

I'm going to be honest- it will likely be a very long time until you see any updates from the KOG (including KOG II) or Auge.  Their prototypes are not even prototypes, they're just unpainted HSGK kits.  In all the following years and exhibitions, there has been no update on the prototypes whatsoever, just the same HSGK displayed over and over again.  They aren't cancelled, but they don't seem to be making any progress. 

The brunt of Volk's FSS efforts recently seems to be focused on the creation of the 1/144 IMS Bang, and the huge and expensive GTM Kaiserin action figure, as well as reissuing their entire catalogue of SAV resin kits with some minor updates.   

September 13th, 2018, 6:41 pm #6192

hi Zip.

There was 2 of us. Amaterasu no Mikado from Canada, and amaterasu_no_mikado (me).... not from Canada. We were both HF members. There isn't much of a 'dedicated' FSS forum space online anymore that I know of, at least not in English. And I was told there was some FSS chat here so I joined.

I admit I'm surprised there's been no progress on KOG and Auge. I remember seeing the announcements years ago. But at least they are still releasing things. Was surprised when LED v3 and Vai O La got released, despite KOG and Auge having been announced much earlier. The 1/144 Bang is news to me, but I guess it's not surprising.

At some point I will break down and get the 1/144 A Toll since I love the design but it doesn't seem like a 1/100 version is forthcoming.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm #6193

Don't worry, I already know the other Amaterasu from Canada.  He was here years ago, but left for various reasons.

Vai-O-La was announced and presented at the same time as KOG and Auge, back in late 2015.  LED V3 actually came out earlier back in 2013, with initial prototypes presented as far back as 2011.  The recent release is just a repackaging of the kit without the Napalm launcher.

September 13th, 2018, 9:10 pm #6194

Yup, I know about the prior release of LED v3 w/ Napalm unit. I picked one up a while back. And yes, the new LED v3 is not a new kit per se, since it's mostly re-used parts from the Napalm kit. I only make note of it because that particular variant was not announced for release alongside the KOG/Auge/Vai O La. I guess Volks released it as a 'filler' while they work on new stuff.

There seems to be a lot of overlap between the HSGK line and the IMS line. Schpeltor, Vai O La, Auge, etc. appear (or are scheduled to appear) in both lines. I'm sure this isn't a foolproof indicator of future plans, but I've sort of been hoping that Volks might decide to do an IMS Clouds Schatze. But I won't get my hopes up, since KOG and Auge seem to be a ways off still.

Maybe I should just try to get a copy of the HSGK Clouds Schatze... I never got around to getting that one or the Auge. I think the last HSGK I got was the Scritti and Schpeltor.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 13th, 2018, 11:00 pm #6195

There's actually not much overlap between HSGK and IMS.  Between the two lines, the only kits carried over (released so far) are the Schpeltor and Vai-O-La.  Some like the A-Toll or Terror Mirage don't even have an SAV or HSGK.  It's been pretty random so far.

I've said this many times, but I'm dumbfounded as to why Volks has not yet released an Engage or Phantom as IMS.  They were popular enough to show up as both SAV and HSGK (arguably the most recasted FSS kits of all time), and are easy potential for recolors and minor retools.  Seems like a lost opportunity.   

September 13th, 2018, 11:15 pm #6196

I was counting the announced (but unreleased) KOG and Auge too when I was thinking of crossover. But it's true, the Bang Doll, Terror Mirage, Vatshu, V-Sirens were not found in HSGK. I don't really know what line the LED Napalm fell under. I think KOG v3 was SAV?

I expect them to do an Engage Sr1 at some point, unless they let the line go dormant.

Actually, since they have been OK with doing IMS of older designs (Terror Mirage, Schpeltor, Vai O La, and eventually Auge) I am sort of hoping they will release a Junchoon variant. But it's very possible that an Engage is as close as we will get.

I'd also like to see some sort of Siren (aside from the V-Sirens already released).

TheAdmiral
TheAdmiral

September 13th, 2018, 11:18 pm #6197

I think Volks could do the Engage series justice. Just think of it: a full inner-frame à la LED Mirage, with the ability to build the Mk1, Mk II, Sayly or Junchoon, simply by changing the outer armor.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 14th, 2018, 1:57 am #6198

amaterasu_no_mikado wrote: I am sort of hoping they will release a Junchoon variant. But it's very possible that an Engage is as close as we will get.
Junchoon (the initial version in Volume 2) will be a the exact same kit as the Engage SR-3.  In Designs II, Nagano retconned that first version of the Junchoon with the backpack to look exactly like the later SR-3 but with a different shade of white and shield color.  So Volks would likely just treat it like the Vai-O-La and show two separate color schemes on the box in case the builder wanted to paint it in alternate colors.

Last Junchoon would be an interesting choice.  That design is much more Katoki Gundam-like rather than a Mortar Headd, with its industrial flat angular surfaces and panel lines, so Volks may not be comfortable heading in that direction for obvious reasons.  They haven't made a new Last Junchoon since the old MM kit.  But it's not completely out of the question, especially with KOG II in development right now.

But a kit of the actual 1980s Junchoon based on the lineart like the WSC kit?  That thing's bulbous design has solidified its "fat chance".  Stylistically, it's incompatible with designs like the LED and KOG V3, and Volks prefers the more modern versions of every design.  Even their IMS A-Toll wasn't based on the lineart, but the Majestic Stand version in volumes 11 and 12 with the more simplified waist and smaller torso.  The day we get a kit of this is the day that the ancient Volume 1 Vatshu gets a new kit as well.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 14th, 2018, 2:10 am #6199

fsskog
Fan
Fan

September 14th, 2018, 8:07 am #6200

actually, this qubeley is not new.  Dengeki has mod the old MG into something like that.  I try to take a pic later.  I guess with GBF, they can have any variations.   And it is probably not so much of a bad thing.  When people get used to it, it is like a free advertisement of Nagano's design.  and may be a phenomenon like the phantom will appear more.  And Nagano's design may become more "mainstream".   Now, that is good or not...

From Korea Figure Museum
https://www.pikbee.com/media/BFMIoZoTcbw
https://www.pikbee.com/media/BFMIL5fTcai
https://www.pikbee.com/media/BBUK6OBpVoZ
https://www.pikbee.com/media/_8maniPGi-
https://www.pikbee.com/media/BBFmL1Lntyr
https://www.pikbee.com/media/_8iRhMPGsL
https://www.pikbee.com/media/_8iGiFPGr7
https://www.pikbee.com/media/-i4nF9QPLb
https://www.pikbee.com/media/8xhd5LRl4B
even comes with cute girls.
https://www.pikbee.com/media/-tPBy_q8az

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 15th, 2018, 6:50 am #6201

fsskog wrote:actually, this qubeley is not new.  Dengeki has mod the old MG into something like that.  I try to take a pic later.  I guess with GBF, they can have any variations.   And it is probably not so much of a bad thing.  When people get used to it, it is like a free advertisement of Nagano's design.  and may be a phenomenon like the phantom will appear more.  And Nagano's design may become more "mainstream".   Now, that is good or not...
It's literally a knockoff of Nagano's Qubeley for the Zeta ANT promotional material, with some extra Mortar Headd details added on like the extended crotch and layered thin midsection. 

Bandai took advantage of NAOKI's supposed custom FSSish Qubeley model from a year ago instead of a GBWC winner to make this into a kit. 

As for whether this kit is a bad thing?  It's harmless; a funny knockoff like that Mechanicore "FSS-Style" Qubeley.  But also ironic, given Bandai and Nagano's mutual hatred.  There's something pathetic about Bandai leaching off Nagano's designs using proxies like NAOKI decades after they effectively fired him from the company and denounced his work, for not being "Gundam" or "toy-like" enough.  This and IBO are not the first times they've copied him.  You seem to be downplaying just how influential Nagano's designs are, even without mentioning his innovations in important design aspects such as the internal skeleton and double joints.  There have been MH imitations for years, especially of the Majestic Stand style of designs.  It's no surprise that was one of the reasons why he shifted to Gothicmade.

September 15th, 2018, 7:44 pm #6202

Is there a list of HSGK kits from Volks?

I think I have a pretty good recollection of SAV and earlier, but I'm not 100% sure what all the HSGK are.

I have the Schpeltor, A Toll Scritti, Vai O La, and maybe one or two others... and I know I don't have the Clouds Schatze, Auge, or Engages, but I'm wondering what others I might be missing. Wasn't there a Siren A/D as well?

Since I'm not really into the GTM stuff and no one's making much in terms of new resin kits now, I figure I may as well try to find copies of the HSGK kits I don't have.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 15th, 2018, 8:50 pm #6203

HSGK are listed on Volk's site:

http://www.volks.co.jp/fss/

Siren A isn't listed on the main list for some reason and doesn't have its own page, but that's likely because it was the last HSGK to be made.

September 15th, 2018, 9:12 pm #6204

Thanks. Looks like I am missing 6.

Engage Sr1
Engage Sr3
Speed Mirage/Clouds Schatze/whatever they want to call it now
Siren A
Red Phantom
Auge

I will probably shop for originals, but settle for good recasts if the originals are impossible to get now.

jinnai
jinnai

September 17th, 2018, 8:21 am #6205

Zip wrote:
jlyc wrote:Never had a twin tower...the 1/220 jagd was painful enough to build!
I see, I must have misremembered you with someone else then.  The guy who got his 1/100 Twin Tower (and a bunch of other FSS kits) stolen by his roommate. 
That was me.

Zip
Guru
Guru

September 18th, 2018, 12:05 am #6206

jinnai wrote:That was me.
I see.  Looks like I got my J's mixed up.

As I suspected, the Japanese Garage Kit industry truly is finished.

And prepare your wallets.

TheAdmiral
TheAdmiral

September 18th, 2018, 3:27 am #6207

Zip wrote:

Garage kits hit their apogee with the Jagd Mirage Twin Tower, and have been in decline ever since. Technology evolves, but some things are still better done by hand.

jinnai
jinnai

September 18th, 2018, 12:16 pm #6208

Zip wrote:
Wasn’t just my Twin Tower either.

Volks Jagd, Kaiyodo 1/144 Jagd, Machine Mess Auge, LED v3, MM Last Junchoon, SAV Vatshu, Hyper Expression Hydra and Babrions, SSS Vai O La and WSC Jade Temple and Gastness. Plus a bunch of gundam, fine molds Star Wars and a whole crap ton of other resins I owned.

Somehow I still kept my HSGK Bang Doll, Hyper Expression B4 and Volks Calvary R.

I’ve since managed to get IMS LED Napalm and I have a terror on the way. But my honeymoon will be in Japan next year and I’m on the hunt for a Twin Tower..

waynerooney

September 19th, 2018, 4:09 am #6209

Zip wrote:

And prepare your wallets.

I suppose garage kits should be handcrafted to demonstrate Japanese's craftsmanship........nowadays 3D printing makes things so easy...

Hyper Expression in Hobby Round 20 in October....jesus...we will all broke. What else? How about SAV Flame Empress and Siren A?

TheAdmiral
TheAdmiral

September 19th, 2018, 6:19 pm #6210

waynerooney wrote:

I suppose garage kits should be handcrafted to demonstrate Japanese's craftsmanship........nowadays 3D printing makes things so easy...
3D printing requires a slightly different skill-set than hand-crafting. Precise geometric or repetitive shapes will be faster to make, and look crisper if 3D printed at high-res, but Other more "organic" details, certain weld marks, stressed-skin on an aircraft, etc. Are better achieved by the hand of a master-craftsman. Frankly, I use both as needed to achieve the best possible result.

Also, high-res 3D printing is VERY expensive still, so not economical for making small runs; silicone molds and manual casting are still cheaper and faster.