Moderator: Moderators

Southern California Gundam Model Competition

GameraBaenre

April 14th, 2011, 8:28 pm #1

UPDATE for 2015!!

5th annual, Southern California Gundam Model Competition presented by Those Gundam Guys

Date: Saturday, November 14, 2015
Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Fullerton Community Center
340 W. Commonwealth Ave
Fullerton, CA 92832

Categories:

Universal Century (CCA, 0079, 0080, 0083, F91, etc)
- 1/100 and larger (1/60, 1/48, etc)
- 1/144 and smaller (1/220, 1/400, etc)

Alternate Universe (seed, 00, Turn A, X, Wing, etc)
- 1/100 and larger (1/60, 1/48, etc)
- 1/144 and smaller (1/220, 1/400, etc)

Mecha General (Macross, Star Wars, Star Trek, Starblazers, FSS, etc)

Anime Figure

Diorama (any scale)

Special awards:
-Theme 1/144 City Diorama
- Best of Show

There will again be live demos for airbrushing (yes, hands on airbrushing); Funaka's how he builds gunpla, and a live demo of 3D printing!

This year's theme is a 1/144 scale City Diroama. That's the only rule.... so there's no limit to era, types of mobile suits, etc. GO Friggin nuts!

We will have more information updating here as the year progresses and we get closer to the event.

Last edited by GameraBaenre on January 11th, 2015, 3:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member
frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

April 14th, 2011, 8:30 pm #2

welcome gamera! also, r u comin to ny bakuc in oct? :)

April 14th, 2011, 8:50 pm #3

I would like to go, but not sure how i'll get there. Only if I live in L.A. hehe.

It still several months away. But so close to my special day. haha.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Squee
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

April 14th, 2011, 8:53 pm #4

frosencarrotz wrote:welcome gamera! also, r u comin to ny bakuc in oct? :)
Yea for judging.. NO ENTERING FOR YOU SIR! Give us a chance. :D

GameraBaenre

April 14th, 2011, 8:53 pm #5

Nope, unfortunately not, I should be in Hong Kong/Taiwan during that weekend.

But you guys should all come out to Cali for the SCGMC. We hope to give the folks here a real Gunpla contest. With no business related restrictions such as using only "sanctioned" kits and what not.

frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member
frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

April 14th, 2011, 9:07 pm #6

GameraBaenre wrote:
Nope, unfortunately not, I should be in Hong Kong/Taiwan during that weekend.

But you guys should all come out to Cali for the SCGMC. We hope to give the folks here a real Gunpla contest. With no business related restrictions such as using only "sanctioned" kits and what not.
hell ye--, uh i mean dammit i cant meet u now :P

April 15th, 2011, 1:44 am #7

What do the people win?
I always follow my beliefs

GameraBaenre

April 15th, 2011, 2:33 am #8

Innovatinator Type wrote:What do the people win?
We're planning on making coin trophies for the main categories and a special trophy for the special awards. We are more focused in getting the community to come together and compete and learn from one another. Most of what i learned and inspiration to build came from attending contests and just chatting with fellow modelers.

There will also be a raffle with some pretty sweet items for that. There will also be live demos and such.

GameraBaenre

May 3rd, 2011, 6:32 pm #9

One of our guys made a flyer for the event, so if you are interested or know friends, anime clubs, other model builders, local hobby shops, etc; feel free to print the flyer out and spread the word!
[+] Spoiler

frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member
frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

May 3rd, 2011, 7:39 pm #10

make that free airfare and im set to go :)
Last edited by frosencarrotz on May 3rd, 2011, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameraBaenre

May 4th, 2011, 6:51 pm #11

See if you have a pack of local friends interested in coming... road trip :) Nothing says bonding like a group of guys on a cross country road trip. That or the train. I've flown out to the east coast for a few anime conventions. I think there may be a few people that are actually looking into flying out from the East Coast to support the event.

Unfortunately, success of such an event hinges on participation, so hopefully we blow the roof with this event.

GameraBaenre

July 6th, 2011, 5:29 am #12

The general awards for the contest came today, check it out: http://thosegundamguys.org/2011/07/05/scgmc-trophies/

frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member
frosencarrotz
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

July 6th, 2011, 11:39 pm #13

awesome, real medals and not just sheets of paper saying winner :)

GameraBaenre

July 7th, 2011, 1:49 am #14

Yeah, we're trying to make this as ligit as possible. When we start compiling the stacks of kits and stuff for the raffles, then it'll start to look even more fun. On a side note, for anyone with a facebook page, here's the FB page for ThoseGundamGuys

shenphong

July 15th, 2011, 9:23 pm #15

Exciting stuff, I'm glad the community looks like its starting to strengthen more so, a year ago I took a break, and it seemed like Bakuc just hit the states. Now my friends are coming back from conventions with pictures of gundam kits built and painted, something I've never seen them do before.

enderwiggen
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

July 15th, 2011, 9:26 pm #16

"I’ve always thought that this was a very cool method for an award. Then again, I’m ex-military"

What branch were you in? I was AF for 6 years.

GameraBaenre

July 15th, 2011, 11:17 pm #17

enderwiggen wrote:"I’ve always thought that this was a very cool method for an award. Then again, I’m ex-military"

What branch were you in? I was AF for 6 years.
AF too.. I was in for 3 years 9 months... (I used one of those leave 3 months early because of school excuses) But still honorably discharged with full benefits :D AFSC: 1N5X3 when I left.

One of my friends, who also builds and was at Otakon last year with a bunch of entries, (I'm trying to get him to come this year) is in the process of retiring from the AF, but he's a Lt. Colonel....
Last edited by GameraBaenre on July 15th, 2011, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben404
Fan
Fan

July 15th, 2011, 11:24 pm #18

I'd love to go, since I just live in San Jose , but we'll see if I can get another car by then -___-

DON'T TREAD ON ME

enderwiggen
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

July 15th, 2011, 11:25 pm #19

Cool, I was 2wox1 (munitions systems). My wife is still in, shes a combat photographer. My brother just got his butter bars and is in pilot training right now.

GameraBaenre

July 16th, 2011, 2:12 am #20

Heh, my AF days are a long forgone memory, I was in from 97-01. So I've been out for over ten years now. Fun and interesting times none the less.
wrote:I'd love to go, since I just live in San Jose , but we'll see if I can get another car by then -___-
There are a few others in Northern Cali that are interested in coming to this event, so hopefully we can get a known list going and people can carpool. I know a guy in Sacramento that's looking forward to coming to this event.

Us United States based gunpla modelers need to unite. I'm hoping that the turnout will be amazing and I can show the local bandai distributor and their contacts at Bandai Hobby that there is a very good following of gunpla modelers outside Asia.

chetario
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

July 16th, 2011, 6:02 am #21

GameraBaenre wrote:One of my friends, who also builds and was at Otakon last year with a bunch of entries, (I'm trying to get him to come this year) is in the process of retiring from the AF, but he's a Lt. Colonel....
Was he the guy who got Best in Show for his Sazabi and won something else for the Gouf Flight Type [he had mirror bases, if I remember correctly]?

WIP Thread: HERE
Gallery: HERE

GameraBaenre

July 16th, 2011, 7:43 pm #22

chetario wrote:
GameraBaenre wrote:One of my friends, who also builds and was at Otakon last year with a bunch of entries, (I'm trying to get him to come this year) is in the process of retiring from the AF, but he's a Lt. Colonel....
Was he the guy who got Best in Show for his Sazabi and won something else for the Gouf Flight Type [he had mirror bases, if I remember correctly]?
Yep. He used to take parts of the Saz with him on business trips. Parts of it were painted at my house. But yeah, he's a pretty good modeler, does tons of cosmetic mods. I'm hoping he finished his Hardgraph Type61 and brings it to otakon.

GameraBaenre

July 18th, 2011, 5:52 am #23

Ok, since the companies have made some official announcements, here's the latest announcement:
http://thosegundamguys.org/2011/07/17/vendors-at-scgmc/

Robot4Less AND TatsuHobby will be vending at SCGMC, so you guys can get your plastic gunpla and resin gunpla fixes.

Oh yeah, for the Northern California folks, TatsuHobby is holding a contest for you guys, full rules and details are here:
http://tatsuhobby.com/webstore/index.ph ... page&id=28
[+] Spoiler
wrote: Tatsu Hobby Anniversary Event #3 Northern CA Gunpla Competition!

Our last event for this anniversary is the Northern California Gunpla Competition!

We made this event mainly to express our gratitude towards our local customers and to show the builds of Gundam fans of the Northern California area.

In addition, we made this event in conjunction to the Southern California Gundam Model Competition that will be held on November 12, 2011 as the winner of the contest WILL be traveling with us to the SCGMC event to show that we at Northern California can build proper Gundam model too!

This event will start on July 18, 2011 and will close on August 31, 2011

To join this event, simply send us the pictures of your best model kit build to our email tatsuhobby@gmail.com

A couple of rules to observe when you're sending your entries:

- Please send us a new work of yours that has not joined any competition before to maintain the "freshness" of this competition. If any entry is found to violate this rule, the entry will be immediately disqualified.
- Open only to Northern California customers with Northern California address as defined by this Wikipedia county chart.
- Please limit the size of the picture to 1 Megabyte (1Mb) each to conserve our email space. There is no limit on number of pictures you can send us though
- Any model kits & garage kits, as long as they're from the Gundam series are welcome. Modded kits are welcome as well!

Your model kit will be judged based on the Gunpla Builders' World Cup judgement criteria as following:

Painting (0-100 points): Quality and execution of the painting, including detail, of the entry.
Technical (0-100 points): Includes build, finish and excellence of any modifications.
Creativity (0-100 points): Aesthetics of the entry, including concept, posing, unique painting scheme and presentation, including diorama.

As you can see, it will not be judged by the quality of pictures you've taken, so photo editing will not count in this contest.

Winners will be announced on our facebook page and will be contacted through email as well.

On the judges table, we will be joined with Mr Gamerabaenre, the owner of http://gamerabaenre.com/, a great Gundam modeler whom we're sure you're already familiar with to ensure the judging quality.

As for the prizes of this competition:

- Grand Prize: MG Char's Zaku 2.0 Clear ver San Diego Comic Con exclusive + paid trip and hotel stay for you and your model kit at Holiday Inn Fullerton, CA on November 12, 2011 to attend the Southern California Gundam Model Competition 2011

- 1st Place: MG Zaku II 2.0 Clear ver San Diego Comic Con exclusive

- 2nd Place: HG00 Exia Repair 2 and O Gundam Clear Twin Pack San Diego Comic Con exclusive

- 3rd Place: HGUC Unicorn Gundam Pearl Coating ver San Diego Comic Con exclusive

*Please note that there will be no cash substitution for these prizes*

So what are you waiting for? Show your Northern California pride and win this contest!

Derringer
Guru
Guru

July 19th, 2011, 6:37 am #24

NorCal vs SoCal F*** yes you are the best idea ever

gundamino

August 10th, 2011, 5:40 am #25

I saw the poster for this at the robot4less shop in fullerton the other day when I was stocking up on MGs. I had no idea there was enough of a fan base here in SoCal to get something like this going. I will be in NorCal for school on that day but I'm going to try and drive down for this event.

GameraBaenre

August 10th, 2011, 5:44 am #26

Robot4Less is one of the vendors for this event. You should see the number of gunpla modelers that show up once a month to build! If you're still around on the 20th of this month, there will be a build gathering and you are more than welcomed to come by and check it out, send me a pm and I'll give you the necessary information to get you on your way to joining the group :)

Foobariu

August 12th, 2011, 11:01 pm #27

Oh, heard about this a while back. I contemplated the endeavor, but decided that I'd rather attend the IPMS Orange County Conference a bit earlier than this event.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear about an event as such taking place in CA.
You know you've accomplished something when you start to say things like - "Just my two cents."

DeathTripp

August 17th, 2011, 4:41 am #28

I don't remotely live near CA, but I wanted to just go ahead and say this sounds like a cool event; something that would be good for gundam fans.

GameraBaenre

August 17th, 2011, 7:37 pm #29

Foobariu wrote:Oh, heard about this a while back. I contemplated the endeavor, but decided that I'd rather attend the IPMS Orange County Conference a bit earlier than this event.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear about an event as such taking place in CA.
A good number of us that are putting together this event will be at IPMS OC's Orangecon as well.

GameraBaenre

October 25th, 2011, 3:45 am #30

Bumping this since it's coming up in a little over 2 weeks. Hopefully we get a good turnout.