Moderator: Moderators

Haides

May 23rd, 2018, 1:50 pm #31

I watched the newest episode early this morning before work, so I might not be remembering it too well, but it seemed pretty pointless IMO. I was kinda hoping the show would have some sort of plot or something by now...
"Peace, through superior firepower."

tetsujin
Guru
Guru

May 23rd, 2018, 3:40 pm #32

Haides wrote:I watched the newest episode early this morning before work, so I might not be remembering it too well, but it seemed pretty pointless IMO. I was kinda hoping the show would have some sort of plot or something by now...
Well, there is a plot: Somebody's distributing break decals, which is somehow damaging the game environment, and our heroes are on the verge of taking up the cause.

But, yeah, a lot of this show so far has felt pretty uninspiring, so a lighthearted romp in a beargguy festival is just... yeah...

I'm content enough to just see where this goes, but I'm not excited about this show at this point.

May 24th, 2018, 3:05 am #33

Of course the emotionally-unstable girl is a Stellar cosplayer with the Gaia Gundam.
"I think, in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."

"You are not alone and you are not strange. You are you, and everybody has damage. Be the better person."

theplasticone
theplasticone

June 5th, 2018, 4:47 pm #34

I think there's going to be a lot more going on this season, because they're already aiming to cut the head off the snake this episode. So either the Break Decal conspiracy goes much deeper and we're in for another 14+ episodes of chasing, or this will conclude in a few episodes and something completely different will round out the series (I guess a championship tournament).

And holy crap, all of my favorite grunts in a line! I've never even displayed my GM Command alongside my Gun-Ez, but to see them both on TV alongside a Windam...my childhood self would never have appreciated this.

Also that blue Gunblastor is pretty hot, and from what I can see on social media it looks like the 1/100 Gunblastor has recently been repopped...
Last edited by theplasticone on June 5th, 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tetsujin
Guru
Guru

June 6th, 2018, 8:29 am #35

I guess this episode lends a bit more credence to the idea that Sarah is an AI (and not, as I thought, a bedridden youth living vicariously through VR)

I don't know how many episodes this season is gonna have - but assuming it's not about to end in a few episodes, if the raid goes badly that could be a good setup for the second half.

theplasticone
theplasticone

June 7th, 2018, 4:20 am #36

My assumption is that we're getting the standard 22-ish episode season, so we're halfway in.

Haides

July 1st, 2018, 11:37 am #37

I just now watched episode 13. Is it just me or does it look from the silhouette like Riku's new gunpla is going to be another Strike-based suit?
"Peace, through superior firepower."

Juno-Uno
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

July 2nd, 2018, 1:35 am #38

Haides wrote:I just now watched episode 13. Is it just me or does it look from the silhouette like Riku's new gunpla is going to be another Strike-based suit?
Probably going to be a modified 00 Diver with an added Destiny Gundam influence...especially since Riku said he was going to fix/rebuild it.
[+] Spoiler

"It does not matter what you like, your reasons for liking it, and how much you like it, somebody out there hates you for liking it."

DeviantArt and Twitter <<<click these

theplasticone
theplasticone

July 2nd, 2018, 4:10 am #39

I'd like to see a fresh take on a Jesta.
Last edited by theplasticone on July 2nd, 2018, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

theplasticone
theplasticone

August 14th, 2018, 4:12 am #40

So, because we clearly care about this series so much, here's a thought.

Riku needed the ass-whuppin' he got in Ep. 18. But I think it's come much too late. The pacing is so far off in this series. I'm guessing we have about seven episodes left and there's no real endgame besides figuring out what's up with Sarah.

If I were running the show, subplots aside, I'd love to see the twist where Riku, rapidly-rising star, goes from hero to public enemy number one as the greater GBN community sees the power he's been able to muster so quickly, and they go after his credibility like our real-world griefers and doxxers, getting him banned from his Force, dropped levels/exp, stuck in a base mobile suit, death threats mailed to his house, etc. and he has to spend the second half of the season proving his worth again with the fewest possible resources in GBN and the real world. But that's probably a little too real for the kid-oriented nature of the show.

Otonashi
Guru
Guru

August 14th, 2018, 6:52 am #41

Is that even a thing that happens? I've never heard of admins going after players without proof that they violated ToS. Doesn't really fit with the tone of the show either, which might make a bad thing worse. The only thing worse than bad writing is inconsistently bad writing.
I'd like to see a show like this tackle some of the real issues the irl gundam community faces, like elitism vs. not wanting to improve (handled more maturely than Try), general toxicity, bootlegs, the decline in popularity of mecha, etc. but we all know that will never happen.
Anyway, this show is annoyingly in-your-face about any instance of character growth, no matter how trite. I'm watching because of inertia at this point.
Now you see, what you did wrong there was read the comment section on GG.
-frosencarrotz
RIP Monty Oum
Trust no one. Play/watch/build/experience it yourself!
-CKai Cydek

August 14th, 2018, 11:07 am #42

I'm amazed any of you managed to push on with this show. I gave up on this show a long time ago and I'm having more fun looking at the community reactions than the show itself.
"I think, in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."

"You are not alone and you are not strange. You are you, and everybody has damage. Be the better person."

theplasticone
theplasticone

August 14th, 2018, 11:38 pm #43

Otonashi wrote:Is that even a thing that happens? I've never heard of admins going after players without proof that they violated ToS. Doesn't really fit with the tone of the show either, which might make a bad thing worse. The only thing worse than bad writing is inconsistently bad writing.
I'd like to see a show like this tackle some of the real issues the irl gundam community faces, like elitism vs. not wanting to improve (handled more maturely than Try), general toxicity, bootlegs, the decline in popularity of mecha, etc. but we all know that will never happen.
Anyway, this show is annoyingly in-your-face about any instance of character growth, no matter how trite. I'm watching because of inertia at this point.
I mean the community dispensing what they wrongly believe to be mob justice.

I don't think Sunrise/Bandai will ever explicitly target bootlegs, lest they draw attention to them. The Mock from BF/T is probably the closest they will dare to go.

Otonashi
Guru
Guru

August 15th, 2018, 1:36 am #44

Maybe I don't play enough MOBA, but that scenario just never occurred to me.
The main problem I have with the show is that it's boring. The action isn't exciting and there are no stakes. A slice of life would be fine, but a good SoL needs interesting characters with development and interaction. We don't have any of that. I feel like they tried to do that with Sarah, but really, who cares at this point? They try to make Riku a driving force, but he's not interesting, his development is trite, and character interactions with him are bland.
-frosencarrotz
RIP Monty Oum
-CKai Cydek

ChexGuy
Guru
Guru

August 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm #45

it's funny. I think this show is as soulless as Try, and I can't bring myself to call it "good"...but I enjoy it more. maybe it's because Try was a sequel.
VG GB Entry: Volks Oratan Temjin ( WIP - Finished Build )

Anime List

tetsujin
Guru
Guru

August 16th, 2018, 3:42 am #46

ChexGuy wrote:it's funny. I think this show is as soulless as Try, and I can't bring myself to call it "good"...but I enjoy it more. maybe it's because Try was a sequel.
Maybe it's 'cause Try followed so closely on the original Build Fighters, made it look worse by comparison because the comparison was so fresh.
Maybe it's 'cause Build Divers opens up a broader range of possibilities than Build Fighters was capable of (mostly) since BF was so heavily rooted in matches of one kind or another and Divers has more flexibility in the set-ups since they spend so damn much time in the game. Rivalries and confrontations can come from situations other than "we're facing them in the tournament" - and while Build Fighters did manage some variety in its scenarios that kind of variety comes more naturally in this open-world setup.

On the whole idea of everybody turning on Riku, what if they discovered that a member of his team is a rogue in-game AI with mysterious ties to the Break Decal phenomena and the ability to skew game rules to their advantage? Though I don't think the Divers will actually suffer much when that comes out. It sounds like they're finally going to address Sarah's deal next week, that's good, I'm tired of them just teasing the situation endlessly. Get on with it already!

I think the show's enjoyable enough with low expectations. That said I don't know there's really much in this show I'd go back and watch a second time. But this week's episode made me want to stab somebody in the face.
[+] Spoiler
Stupid race thing, just so, so stupid. It's not funny that stupid person and top contender in the race decided to choose a huge overcomplicated MG that takes forever to build and then realized that it was a bad choice because it's huge and takes forever to build. It's just dumb. And then it ends in a 12-way (or whatever) tie, then a mass disqualification that's immediately rescinded, and everyone shares the victory. Ugh. So dumb. Best part was the random Zakurello-in-distress. That was actually kind of fun.

Otonashi wrote:I'd like to see a show like this tackle some of the real issues the irl gundam community faces, like elitism vs. not wanting to improve (handled more maturely than Try), general toxicity, bootlegs, the decline in popularity of mecha, etc. but we all know that will never happen.
It's kind of an interesting idea in part because it goes so heavily against the sports anime tropes Build Fighters is rooted in. Like everybody wants to aim for the top because of course they do, and even if someone doesn't really measure up they'll be all like "don't underestimate me!" and they will work to improve, because being complacent about one's own capabilities and limitations is like the worst thing possible. (See also ogre-boy in Build Divers) To confront those kinds of issues in a show like this would be high-order genre subversion, even if it weren't specifically in the context of a show that's entirely bent to the purpose of supporting a product line.
Last edited by tetsujin on August 16th, 2018, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

theplasticone
theplasticone

August 21st, 2018, 1:02 pm #47

tetsujin wrote:On the whole idea of everybody turning on Riku, what if they discovered that a member of his team is a rogue in-game AI with mysterious ties to the Break Decal phenomena and the ability to skew game rules to their advantage?
Yep, that more or less happened.

Other thoughts about Episode 20:

-There are a LOOOT of still frames in this ep. Par for the course for a character-driven episode I suppose ("character" being relative).

-Nami'd Diver really looks out of place among the rest of the team. Not that it's unrealistic or even a bad thing, I just keep expecting her to be an NPC character.

-Now I kinda want a Mrs. Doubtfire situation where it's revealed that Sarah interacts with an entirely different team from the other side of the world while Build Divers go about their daily lives in meatspace.

-Interestingly, NOW we're seeing the possibility of the Build Divers force becoming pariah within the GBN community as they try to protect Sarah. I'm guessing this divides the greater GBN community and results in a rebels vs. loyalists clash, with Rommel and other allies providing the bulk of Build Divers' support while the Champ leads the administrative response, and he sees the error of his ways in Episode 25.

-Let me see more of those guard mobile suits. Kinda got a Strike/Duel vibe to them.

tetsujin
Guru
Guru

August 22nd, 2018, 3:54 am #48

Well I wouldn't say that's already happened. It's not like Tiger's labeled him a cheater and disowned him as a student, or their huge heap of prize money (and things purchased with it) have been confiscated. It could happen, but hasn't so far. They're just after Sarah.
[+] Spoiler
Turns out she's an AI. Who could have seen that one coming, eh? Admittedly I backed the wrong horse on that one...
And yeah, few minutes in I was like, OK, here comes the slide-show montage...
Last edited by tetsujin on August 22nd, 2018, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otonashi
Guru
Guru

August 22nd, 2018, 5:31 am #49

I guess this direction is kinda cool, but it feels like most of the episodes were unnecessary filler. Sarah should've gotten way more focus in prior episodes so we could see her development through her own eyes. If the intent was surprise, well, it failed.
Also, what's with the admins and their assault rifles lmao
Last edited by Otonashi on August 22nd, 2018, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-frosencarrotz
RIP Monty Oum
-CKai Cydek

ChexGuy
Guru
Guru

August 22nd, 2018, 1:55 pm #50

Otonashi wrote:Also, what's with the admins and their assault rifles lmao
don't move or we'll shoot you with our digital guns
VG GB Entry: Volks Oratan Temjin ( WIP - Finished Build )

Anime List

theplasticone
theplasticone

August 22nd, 2018, 2:54 pm #51

ChexGuy wrote:don't move or we'll shoot you with our ban-rays

theplasticone
theplasticone

August 28th, 2018, 1:28 pm #52

The GBN Civil War begins! Interestingly, while it does boil down to Team Rommel vs. Team Kyoya as I thought, they end up on the opposite end of the spectrum from where they started (or were psyching each other out).

There's an interesting implication that Team Rommel may be made of players with real-life disabilities, including possibly Rommel himself. That would be pretty cool to see. Or his whole speech was hyperbolic and they're all hikikomori...

Ogre's new GP02 is pretty swanky.

And in probably the only logical meta-conclusion to any Build series, something formerly only in the game is going to enter meatspace. So we just basically spent 22 episodes on the plot of Tron: Legacy.
Last edited by theplasticone on August 28th, 2018, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarMachine395
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

August 30th, 2018, 8:52 pm #53

theplasticone wrote:There's an interesting implication that Team Rommel may be made of players with real-life disabilities, including possibly Rommel himself. That would be pretty cool to see. Or his whole speech was hyperbolic and they're all hikikomori...
I thought that they might be implying that they were all veterans with real life disabilities as well

theplasticone
theplasticone

September 5th, 2018, 6:38 pm #54

Okay, I guess Rommel and Kyoya are on the same side. That was confusing. Not much else has really happened this episode.

At this point the entire concept of this conflict playing out in game space is absolutely absurd, and no gamerunners would allow their top player to walk all over them like that, but of course this is a kid's show.

Interesting twist that Shary and Tiger end up on opposing sides (as far as we can tell).

Otonashi
Guru
Guru

September 10th, 2018, 6:57 pm #55

theplasticone wrote: Okay, I guess Rommel and Kyoya are on the same side. That was confusing. Not much else has really happened this episode.

At this point the entire concept of this conflict playing out in game space is absolutely absurd, and no gamerunners would allow their top player to walk all over them like that, but of course this is a kid's show.

Interesting twist that Shary and Tiger end up on opposing sides (as far as we can tell).
Not exactly, Kyoya is playing it like that to manipulate public opinion on his side while also creating an opportunity for Build Divers.
Well, I guess Rommel doesn't completely mind after figuring it out, either.
I guess this show has started picking up again, but it's kind of too little, too late. It's a shame.
-frosencarrotz
RIP Monty Oum
-CKai Cydek

Otonashi
Guru
Guru

Yesterday, 7:21 am #56

Oh, so rebuilding GBN is a viable option.
Wow, I'm genuinely upset. Why is there even a conflict?
F*** you, writers.
-frosencarrotz
RIP Monty Oum
-CKai Cydek