Something I mentioned to Timber a few years back...

Something I mentioned to Timber a few years back...

November 16th, 2010, 3:07 pm #1

Buck scrapes...

The area where we saw these suspected shelters we saw as many as 10 scrapes in close proximity...follow the below URL to understand what a Buck Scrape is...but the point is I've set up my game cameras on many scrapes without getting any photos of the buck at, freshening up or making a scrape...I have thought...is it possible these Monsters know how to make these scrapes and if so why?...and is it possible they know what a scrape is and patiently await the bucks return....I mention this because years back Bobby and I found a bone pile with nothing but buck deer skulls and if I remember correctly it was about six to seven...

One area we would always find a scrape...as a matter of fact there's a scrape at approximately the same spot now, within a few feet from year to year but over the years I haven't been able to get any pictures of this buck or any deer coming to the scrape...I've hidden cameras, placed them over head directly over looking the scrapes but no deer...not one of any kind...I do know there are deer in the area since we have pictures away from this scrape a few hundred feet...pictures of a few bucks and doe...

any opinions?...

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/arm ... rapes.html

Ken3030
Ken3030

November 16th, 2010, 3:43 pm #2

A few years back in Central Louisiana I saw several "shelters" as you called them. Looked very simular to your pics and were all located next to game trails. I think they are more of a hunting blind than a shelter.

November 16th, 2010, 5:00 pm #3

Up on this North end of the property there's little for deer to eat...they cut down all the hardwoods adjoining the property...there's still quite a bit of browse but few if any acorns...the shelters are in the middle of a pine thicket which by no way am I insinuating deer doesn't cross these thickets going from point A to point B...

Something I did some years back...by the small pond there was a winding trail with over hangs of limbs and briar's...Jake and I went in with a machete and cleaned this trail for about fifty to sixty yards...hard to tell distance since the trail meandered back and forth...after we were done we could walk side by side down this trail without hitting any limbs are getting hung up in briar's...a few days later we went back and this trail was covered back up with the brush we cut and briar's were pulled back over the trail in spots...on this trail there were curves and corners with me noticing in these curves and corners there appeared to be a hide, a simple brushy area, with brush over the trail...this made sense IMO that if a Monster was in one of these hides where the brush was on the trail a deer would have to do several things to continue the route...either jump, crawl through, turn around or go around...while this deer is making up his mind what to do IMO a Monster could catch and kill this unsuspecting animal...

I have had several tell me that the Monsters drive deer to a catch area which this may have been a trail used to catch deer...the buck skeletons we found were only about fifty yards from this trail...

BTW...Jake was just a young boy at the time and I always made him stay close...while I was cleaning the trail he walked up a bit from me around a corner where I couldn't see him...just as I was going to holler for him he came back like a scalded dog telling me something big got up in the thicket...that boy's eyes were as big as half dollars and from then on he never left my eye sight...Jake and I stopped at this trail Sunday and sure enough there were deer tracks...we didn't have time to walk the trail since the boy harvested a young button buck and had him laying in the back of my jeep on some dog food bags...

November 16th, 2010, 5:18 pm #4

I would pick Jake up from school and he and I would hit the woods...he liked walking and looking but when I would stop to listen he would get bored so I started letting him build a small dead pine twig fire...while he was tending to his fire I walked down the lane checking out a food plot less then twenty five yards from him...I kept my eye on Jake as I poked around a bit and when I returned Jake was still piddling in the fire and I could hear something in the brush not more then a few yards from him growling...a low moaning growl...I asked Jake...boy don't you hear that growling...without looking up he said it's been growling like that for about ten minutes...

Now you understand why I was always careful with my boy when I went down...I made him stay on my hip when we walked the bottoms...when he hunted I was always in my truck where I could get to him quickly and I wouldn't let him hunt from a ground blind...we always had radios but I would tell him if you shoot I'm on my way...

Jake has had quite a few experiences and sightings over the years...next time we all get together I'll have him tell you about some of his ordeals with the Monsters...

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

November 16th, 2010, 5:21 pm #5

Buck scrapes...

The area where we saw these suspected shelters we saw as many as 10 scrapes in close proximity...follow the below URL to understand what a Buck Scrape is...but the point is I've set up my game cameras on many scrapes without getting any photos of the buck at, freshening up or making a scrape...I have thought...is it possible these Monsters know how to make these scrapes and if so why?...and is it possible they know what a scrape is and patiently await the bucks return....I mention this because years back Bobby and I found a bone pile with nothing but buck deer skulls and if I remember correctly it was about six to seven...

One area we would always find a scrape...as a matter of fact there's a scrape at approximately the same spot now, within a few feet from year to year but over the years I haven't been able to get any pictures of this buck or any deer coming to the scrape...I've hidden cameras, placed them over head directly over looking the scrapes but no deer...not one of any kind...I do know there are deer in the area since we have pictures away from this scrape a few hundred feet...pictures of a few bucks and doe...

any opinions?...

2 different scrape locations. heavy cover. they like scrape lines in heavy cover.

bucks normally aren't that skitish coming into a scrape. they might circle and wind, but they roam right in nonchalant most of the time.

BOOOM..
lights out.

the monkee i witnessed set up less than 5 yards from the middle scrape of a set of 3 scrapes within 35 yards of each other in the heaviest density of cover right next to the scrape.

November 16th, 2010, 6:00 pm #6

Jake wants to hunt the place but we also want to see if this blind causes any disturbance as far as the scrapes are concerned...

BTW...we had a tripod a little further down this lane for years...two deer were seen from this stand so no one wanted to hunt it...both were bucks...everyone who hunted this tripod always reported hearing strange sounds...chimp sounds, a baby crying, something walking up behind the stand in the thicket...I would put folks in this stand who hadn't hunted here before just so they would tell me what they heard...yeah I know...that's dirty and low down but when I was in this area I didn't hear anything...

Timberghost
Timberghost

November 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm #7

Buck scrapes...

any opinions?...

These animals will make mock scrapes...

November 16th, 2010, 11:37 pm #8

I kind of thought they did but wasn't sure...the critters are slick knowing how and where to put them though...when I couldn't get pictures of any deer at the scrapes I figured something was up...either being hijacked or scared off before they got to the scrape or a mock scrape...

Something I've noticed over the years about some of these scrapes...I couldn't find any tree rubs let alone a line of them...The last few years there was a large scrape right in the middle of a pine thicket...Jake and I went in and couldn't find the scrape this year...could have been made by a buck and he didn't make it through the hunting season last year...

November 17th, 2010, 12:29 am #9

these suspected bedding areas...BTW...Jake was growled at right below this trail a few years back...we looked for tracks on the pipe line but no luck...inside these thickets the ground was covered in pine straw...we could see impressions but not anything definite...I've had one of the feeders cut down several times right across from this trail...

A couple of years ago 3 out of 4 of us saw a green eyed Monster one night we estimated to be around 7 1/2 to 8 feet tall within 50 yards of this trail...

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

November 17th, 2010, 4:31 am #10

on the bottom left would be both an ideal spot for a scrap, but also for a hide. it looks eerily similar to the one i discribed earlier.

unlike some licking branches that are open with little cover around it. my situation occurred by the licking branch and scrape that was very heavy in cover for a major section of ground that surrounded it.

if they do make a mock scrape. all they have to do is piss in it.

now, it would really show some intellegence, if they squeeze a dead buck like an accordian to squeeze the urine out onto the mock scrape.

add that to the list of things, i would pay to see.