Run out of the woods for the third time LOL

Run out of the woods for the third time LOL

Shelia
Shelia

July 31st, 2012, 1:17 am #1

A couple weeks ago I met a young man who was absolutely convinced that BF exists. I'm not sure how they came up in the conversation but anyway I offered to show him some of my pics and a hand print that I cast about 5 years ago. Well after looking through my pics and seeing the plaster hand print he tells me he wants to see one in real life....to make a long story short I took him on a tour of the farm and after a short walkabout ( we found two sets of tracks.) we settled in The Dead Zone to wait for dusk and the possible appearance of a critter or two. Well dusk arrived and with it the presence of 4 "Monsters" a young one about 3' tall, one about 6' tall, a 5' tall one and then the largest being 7'. There was no aggression or hostility expressed by these critters, when it got full dark we came back up to the house. This watch was this past Wednesday.
Friday, this young man calls and wants to "go monkey hunting again". I told him it would be Sunday before I had the time to take him. Yesterday (Sunday) morning we started early, he, my boyfriend and I did a serious walkabout on the farm and we were showing him different signs and anomolies that might indicate the presence of these critters. We just hung out at the house during the hottest part of the day and then the young man and I went back to The Dead Zone to see if some of the critters would grace us with their presence.
Just before dusk I saw one walk across one of the openings and told BJ to pay attention because we had company. Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement to my right and the outline of a large animal about 8' tall. BJ and I saw the animal about the same time. I knew immediately that this one not one of my alpha males and as we watched the animal he was pacing back and forth, never taking his eyes off of us. The distance between he and we was about 45 yards. Now, Al is probably turning flips in his grave because we weren't armed, LOL. This went on for about 5 minutes and then I started to sense hostility and aggression from this animal. This feeling continued to escalate for about the next 45 seconds to a minute and I told my young friend that it was time to go. So we got in the truck and came back up to the house. The animal made no attempt to follow us but I felt that hostility until we left that field.
The only other time that I have sensed this type of hostlity and aggression from on of these animals here on the farm was in 2006 when we had a rogue male come through here and creating havoc with the local population. We named this rogue male Damien and he did things like pick up a deer stand and throw it, broke a pine limb that was about 4" in diameter on a bull pine and then wrapped it around the pine tree, among other things that announced his presence in the area. He was seen by several people while he was here including Al and myself. In fact if he was in the same area you were in he made sure you saw him, just like this one last night did.
Anyway was wondering if anyone else has had this type of encounter, the "Monsters" here are normally non aggressive and just basically curious....well actually they are just down right nosey.

Shelia
Shelia

July 31st, 2012, 9:17 am #2

OK, let me revise my question, what I want to know really is has anyone experienced this type of behavior from any of these creatures that you interact with/see/are aware of their presence/ etc., that are normally non aggressive. I'm fully aware that they can be aggressive, but these are normally not. Interested in ya'lls thoughts on this, I do know that this animal was NOT one of my alpha males as he was not large enough in neither height nor stature. Rogue male or is there a new "Boss" inda woods?

Shelia

July 31st, 2012, 12:51 pm #3

A couple weeks ago I met a young man who was absolutely convinced that BF exists. I'm not sure how they came up in the conversation but anyway I offered to show him some of my pics and a hand print that I cast about 5 years ago. Well after looking through my pics and seeing the plaster hand print he tells me he wants to see one in real life....to make a long story short I took him on a tour of the farm and after a short walkabout ( we found two sets of tracks.) we settled in The Dead Zone to wait for dusk and the possible appearance of a critter or two. Well dusk arrived and with it the presence of 4 "Monsters" a young one about 3' tall, one about 6' tall, a 5' tall one and then the largest being 7'. There was no aggression or hostility expressed by these critters, when it got full dark we came back up to the house. This watch was this past Wednesday.
Friday, this young man calls and wants to "go monkey hunting again". I told him it would be Sunday before I had the time to take him. Yesterday (Sunday) morning we started early, he, my boyfriend and I did a serious walkabout on the farm and we were showing him different signs and anomolies that might indicate the presence of these critters. We just hung out at the house during the hottest part of the day and then the young man and I went back to The Dead Zone to see if some of the critters would grace us with their presence.
Just before dusk I saw one walk across one of the openings and told BJ to pay attention because we had company. Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement to my right and the outline of a large animal about 8' tall. BJ and I saw the animal about the same time. I knew immediately that this one not one of my alpha males and as we watched the animal he was pacing back and forth, never taking his eyes off of us. The distance between he and we was about 45 yards. Now, Al is probably turning flips in his grave because we weren't armed, LOL. This went on for about 5 minutes and then I started to sense hostility and aggression from this animal. This feeling continued to escalate for about the next 45 seconds to a minute and I told my young friend that it was time to go. So we got in the truck and came back up to the house. The animal made no attempt to follow us but I felt that hostility until we left that field.
The only other time that I have sensed this type of hostlity and aggression from on of these animals here on the farm was in 2006 when we had a rogue male come through here and creating havoc with the local population. We named this rogue male Damien and he did things like pick up a deer stand and throw it, broke a pine limb that was about 4" in diameter on a bull pine and then wrapped it around the pine tree, among other things that announced his presence in the area. He was seen by several people while he was here including Al and myself. In fact if he was in the same area you were in he made sure you saw him, just like this one last night did.
Anyway was wondering if anyone else has had this type of encounter, the "Monsters" here are normally non aggressive and just basically curious....well actually they are just down right nosey.
Is it because no other critters will go into the area?...

Shelia
Shelia

July 31st, 2012, 2:14 pm #4

You are correct MH, it is a rare thing to see other wildlife in this area.

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

July 31st, 2012, 5:08 pm #5

OK, let me revise my question, what I want to know really is has anyone experienced this type of behavior from any of these creatures that you interact with/see/are aware of their presence/ etc., that are normally non aggressive. I'm fully aware that they can be aggressive, but these are normally not. Interested in ya'lls thoughts on this, I do know that this animal was NOT one of my alpha males as he was not large enough in neither height nor stature. Rogue male or is there a new "Boss" inda woods?

Shelia
I have had 2 different occassions in roughly the same area that were hostile feeling with intensity with the animal showing itself only while I retreated from the area in a slow fashion.

I don't think the same animal was involved in both cases. Both times they shadowed me out and both times the animals came out into full view. I never heard vocals or any other intimidating sounds like breaking limbs. Both times I just had all the hair stand up on my body and all my senses told me to leave something was wrong ( nothing indicated another animal, BTW).

It wasn't until I got to either most of the way to my 4wheeler or actually on my 4 wheeler did they make themselves visable. but both of them used their size to show themselves off. one walked off to the road my 4wheeler was on and smacked a good sized tree to shake back and forth. the other one raised one arm to grab I higher limb. I think to make himself look bigger.

Lou
Lou

August 1st, 2012, 12:20 am #6

And how long has there been activity to your knowledge?
Very interesting observations!

Shelia
Shelia

August 1st, 2012, 3:48 am #7

Cherokee County, Texas and I've been watching these animals for the last 10 years.