Of interest

Of interest

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

September 5th, 2010, 12:21 am #1

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/video?id=6103350

I may be wrong - but I thought the tissue sample from that board with nails on the Monsterquest show came up as unusable for DNA....but here Meldrum says it not only had usable DNA but that it is not human, but related to human and chimp.

Anyway - this part of CA is just a few hours from where I am. Never knew it was such a hot spot!

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

September 5th, 2010, 1:34 pm #2

That is how the blood grouping from that animal shot at MC came back.
Primate group A, or in other words Chimp and Orang family.

chattahoocheebigfoot
chattahoocheebigfoot

September 5th, 2010, 2:24 pm #3

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/video?id=6103350

I may be wrong - but I thought the tissue sample from that board with nails on the Monsterquest show came up as unusable for DNA....but here Meldrum says it not only had usable DNA but that it is not human, but related to human and chimp.

Anyway - this part of CA is just a few hours from where I am. Never knew it was such a hot spot!
...correct CC. He did say that the samples were "too degraded". Now, he either lied outright on national television for some unknown reason OR he simply has no DNA. All of the DNA reports I have seen that pertains to these elusive beings has ALWAYS come back as "human". Either from cross-contamination or for the reason that "they may actually be some type of humanoid".

Why are his samples different? The answer may be as it has always been. Calling it something other than "human" would make it seemingly "okay" to kill one. That's his objective. Preservation and life study are not in his doctoral vocabulary. However, "specimen" and "sample" are!

Shoot now and ask questions later?

Jeff

David Holley
David Holley

September 5th, 2010, 3:03 pm #4

There was a second part the following season on Monster Quest, and this was discussed. The original sample they said was too degradeable, but in the second part I think they got some DNA results and concluded it was primate but not human.

September 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm #5

contaminated by the galvanized screws...

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

September 5th, 2010, 3:43 pm #6

Maybe they got some blood off the wood?

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

September 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm #7

i've been handling DNA samples for kinds of testing for over 19 years. DNA is finicky in several forms. i've said this time and time again. 99% of all commercial DNA testing that is available now comes in a regulated (FDA) kit. from start to finish everything is tightly controlled. these DNA kits only target specified markers that have been chosed for the test in question.

a "Sas" sample would have to be a larger template, possibly a genome sequencing like they are doing right now with several species. to put things inperspective it took years for the first Human DNA to be sequenced.

unless someone has a template that is verified "Sas" with those certain markers- no one will be the first to say one is a legitimate "Sas".

anything that doesnt match certain positive or negative known markers is usually tossed as contaminated. (biologically, chemically or due to degradation)

remember again, the USDA and CDC put the hammer down to laboratories nationwide in recent years prohibiting them from handling "primate" samples of ANY TYPE. read that again and again to let that sink in.

there are less than a handfull of laboratories in the US that have been Ok'd to perform testing on primate samples of any type and there are critical methodologies, regulations and oversight in play.

most of these laboratories in question were already performing analysis for the .gov when the regulation was implemented.

if the .gov finds out that a laboratory has performed or is performing primate testing, i promise you that you can look for the shit to hit the fan in regards to their certifications and licensure.

September 5th, 2010, 4:55 pm #8

I wouldn't give up the labs we used publicly...besides...we're not after DNA...

David Holley
David Holley

September 5th, 2010, 7:46 pm #9

contaminated by the galvanized screws...
They brought that out in the second installment. However, the guy that was with Dr. Meldrum when they took the samples from off the screws was the one who did the second tests.

I did not know that the government had stopped primate DNA testing either, and so I'm wondering about this. it has nothing to do with the Monster Quest segment we've been discussing.

Last season on DESTINATION TRUTH, Josh Gates took a hair sample to a lab in Timpson, Texas, for examination. , and the female conducting the tests said it was primate but not human. You'd think if it were an Orang or another of the big apes, she'd have said so. If it came from primate, "unknown" then is she in violation?

Just wondering folks. Like Jim says, we're not trying to test the air, or old blood samples.

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

September 6th, 2010, 3:46 am #10

there were some laboratories, like mine that were involved in different realms of study. some unfortunately, had interspecies transfer of pathogens. (lower primate to human)as you can imagine this would have spread like wildfire into the human population if not locked down.

i don't believe it was "Sas" related. it was a nasty period of time for a few months. some researchers and their assistants got really sick and i think 1 or 2 might have died.

it was a big enough threat to lockdown the testing on primates though.