My Dad

My Dad

Surveyor
Surveyor

December 6th, 2011, 11:44 pm #1

found out he has lung cancer over Thanksgiving week. He had gone to the ER because he thought he had a really bad case of pneumonia that he had been fighting for well over a month because he had no sick days left at work (he works at Northrop Grumman in St. Augustine, FL). His doctor was not sure of the extent of it, so my dad had to have more tests done last week and this week, as well as having a port put in for chemo. Today he found out that the cancer is in his spinal chord, liver, and kidneys as well as his lungs, and that it is terminal. They do not know how long he has left.

Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter

December 6th, 2011, 11:58 pm #2

Will add your dad to the prayer list wishing him comfort from this dreadful disease...

December 7th, 2011, 4:18 am #3

found out he has lung cancer over Thanksgiving week. He had gone to the ER because he thought he had a really bad case of pneumonia that he had been fighting for well over a month because he had no sick days left at work (he works at Northrop Grumman in St. Augustine, FL). His doctor was not sure of the extent of it, so my dad had to have more tests done last week and this week, as well as having a port put in for chemo. Today he found out that the cancer is in his spinal chord, liver, and kidneys as well as his lungs, and that it is terminal. They do not know how long he has left.
So sorry to hear that.
I hope that one day we as a society will put greed in the past and work together for the good of man kind to make things like Cancer a thing of the past!

Versatile
Versatile

December 7th, 2011, 1:52 pm #4

He is in my prayers as well.

DonDon
DonDon

December 7th, 2011, 2:08 pm #5

you have my prayers bud

Deer Slayer
Deer Slayer

December 8th, 2011, 1:32 am #6

The diagnosis is not good for your Dad, and I'm sorry. In 1987, right before we had our first born, my Dad was diagnosed with Glioblastoma which is a very viral and always fatal form of brain cancer. They gave him weeks to months, yet he lived TEN years. A good doctor will not give you a time.
I'll be honest with you. The last 5 of those ten years were not good. But he experienced the births of 5 grand children between my sister and I and seemed to enjoy every minute of it. He was a WW11 vet, being just 16 when he enlisted in the Army. He always worked and worked to make ends meet for us. And in a way the illness was blessing to him, because he got to finally relax and enjoy the love of family .
Even though that is not the way it usually goes with advanced cancer of any type. There is still hope.Remember that the final call on life is not up to us. If you have something to say to him, tell it now, though. We should have done it long ago, but we don't. And enjoy his presence.
And always remeber, he might just out live us. Death is somehow tangible only when some one has been "diagnosed", but it is oblivious to us "healthy" folk who could wake up dead tommorrow, or be taken out on the way to work. I saw many of my dad's "healthy" freinds pass long before he did. And he was 69 when the Lord took him in 1997.
Even though I don't know you, I have stood in your shoes. And I know full well what you are going though. I will send prayers to the Great Healer for you all, especially your Dad. And if you wish to just talk, when you are ready, I give the moderator permission to give you my email. May God bless you and and especially your Dad.

Whitehorse
Whitehorse

December 8th, 2011, 5:37 am #7

Prayers sent for your Dad, your family & you. Mom passed away this past April from COPD & breast cancer. It's difficult for all to go through, to put it mildly. I pray for peace for him & all of you in the decisions of how he wants to handle it.

Terry
Terry

December 8th, 2011, 4:12 pm #8

I've been there myself with my dad. My thoughts are with you.

t.

Surveyor
Surveyor

December 9th, 2011, 12:30 am #9

everything that you all have written, sharing your own similar experiences, and the prayers that are being said for my dad & family. My parents divorced when I was 5. I did not see my dad again until I was 12, and did not see him again until I initiated contact with him after I felt convicted about honoring my mother and my father, and I wanted my children to have a relationship with both grandparents. That was in 2001 when I was 31 years old. After that, my sister and her husband followed suit, and we have all had a wonderful relationship with each other, with his wife, and with our half sister and brother. We try to go down at least once or twice a year, but we had to cancel last year due to money and health reasons (I got diagnosed with MS and treatment ain't cheap with no insurance! Lol). Anyway, It seems kinda crappy that we missed out on so many years and now this happens. My family and my sister's family are all strong Christians. My dad says he has gotten his life right, but you never know. I hope so.

J
J

December 9th, 2011, 4:04 am #10

Sorry to hear Surveyor, I'll be praying for you and your family.