Monster Hunter has made me think of something...

Monster Hunter has made me think of something...

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

May 19th, 2012, 12:21 pm #1

Has anyone looked at satellite photos (google earth or whatever) of the areas they know has monsters?

I ask this because I am seeing very similar variables: geographic features that may enable us extrapolate habitat across the country.

Monster Hunter has stated that the monsters are in the creeks and I believe that is accurate. However, I am seeing additional configurations that may need to be considered.

Both locations I am looking into have a major waterway like a small river or large creek which is very close to and connects to a reservoir or lake.

The monsters are actually in a smaller waterway (creek) which either directly connects the two larger water sources or is just away from but connects to the two water sources.

At Shirley's place Monster Hunter has stated there are creeks, a pond and a lake. I am wondering if the configuration is close to what I have outlined.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

JF
JF

May 19th, 2012, 4:24 pm #2

Ive used to look at places for Deer Hunting to try to get the lay of the land look for pinch points places where 2-3 Valleys come together you just gotta make sure you have an up to date sattelite image happened to me went to the spot and it was clear-cut(suprise)...This tool will save you alot walking

SAsquatcher
SAsquatcher

May 19th, 2012, 7:07 pm #3

Has anyone looked at satellite photos (google earth or whatever) of the areas they know has monsters?

I ask this because I am seeing very similar variables: geographic features that may enable us extrapolate habitat across the country.

Monster Hunter has stated that the monsters are in the creeks and I believe that is accurate. However, I am seeing additional configurations that may need to be considered.

Both locations I am looking into have a major waterway like a small river or large creek which is very close to and connects to a reservoir or lake.

The monsters are actually in a smaller waterway (creek) which either directly connects the two larger water sources or is just away from but connects to the two water sources.

At Shirley's place Monster Hunter has stated there are creeks, a pond and a lake. I am wondering if the configuration is close to what I have outlined.

Common denominators that I have noticed.
1. Pine trees,,(evergreens)(Conifers)
2, Creeks, streams, lakes, and or rivers, it seems like the activity is the heaviest where bodies of water meet.
Example, at Boggy creek, most of the activity seems( and don't take this as gospel) like the heaviest activity occurs where Boggy creek flows into the Sulphur river.
3, Vast areas of woods, these creatures need enough room to stay hidden.
4 Lots of food, nuts berries deer squirrel, rabbits, etc.

I personally believe that these animals munch oh whatever is available, be it acorns or pigs or whatever.
Such an animal with a non discriminatory diet could easily get huge because when the greenery dies off, they switch to meat, and do not too much care what kind of meat either!

This is of course just speculation on my part, but it happens to fit the reports as well as the facts.
There may be things that they can eat that a human couldn't deal with like tree fungus or moss or even those little berries on poke salad that are poisonous to us, you never know.
I know that Jim has a couple of wild lemon trees at MC, they may like those, or persimmons ( Which I like too).
If you have the stomach for it, the woods supply plenty of food year round, you just have to know how to get it and be able to process it.

KJ
KJ

May 20th, 2012, 5:16 am #4

I've come to believe that BFs have a diet that's predomiantly on what they can get throughout the year be it meat to berries to nuts/acorns and so forth. Curious as to if their diet would include the wild honeysuckle plant. I ask/wonder because I love the smell it gives off when in bloom.

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

May 20th, 2012, 2:33 pm #5

Common denominators that I have noticed.
1. Pine trees,,(evergreens)(Conifers)
2, Creeks, streams, lakes, and or rivers, it seems like the activity is the heaviest where bodies of water meet.
Example, at Boggy creek, most of the activity seems( and don't take this as gospel) like the heaviest activity occurs where Boggy creek flows into the Sulphur river.
3, Vast areas of woods, these creatures need enough room to stay hidden.
4 Lots of food, nuts berries deer squirrel, rabbits, etc.

I personally believe that these animals munch oh whatever is available, be it acorns or pigs or whatever.
Such an animal with a non discriminatory diet could easily get huge because when the greenery dies off, they switch to meat, and do not too much care what kind of meat either!

This is of course just speculation on my part, but it happens to fit the reports as well as the facts.
There may be things that they can eat that a human couldn't deal with like tree fungus or moss or even those little berries on poke salad that are poisonous to us, you never know.
I know that Jim has a couple of wild lemon trees at MC, they may like those, or persimmons ( Which I like too).
If you have the stomach for it, the woods supply plenty of food year round, you just have to know how to get it and be able to process it.
1. Woods are a common denominator.Especially since these creatures seem to mimic shadows. The locations I have experience with do not have pine or other conifer however.

2. Waterways or water sources are another common denominator.Where waterways or major water sources come together seems to be important. My question is whether the creatures are strategically choosing areas away from, but close to and connected to, the main water sources. Is Boggy smaller than the Sulpher river? What is the geography of that area? Is it possible there may smaller creeks attached to those two water sources that may be the primary habitat for monsters? Is it possible to predict areas in those river valleys that may have a higher chance of monsters being there?

3. Adequate food sources are another common denominator. The primary place I am looking into has dozens and dozens of blackberry trees. There is OLD beaver sign but no beavers. I have only seen one set of racoon prints in over a year...the place should be loaded with them. Most if not all the small game has been wiped out. There is still plentiful deer. Deer sign is everywhere.There are gigantic freshwater mussels in the river and creeks. There is a ridiculous amount of farmland and this may be a primary foodsource.

4. Vastness of the woodland. This is an interesting concept. How much room does each pod or family unit of these things need? This is important especially since they seem to stay in the same general location year after year. How many family units could live in a specified X-mile region? How many family units would be needed to have a viable, sustainable breeding population for the region?

If a family unit of monsters were found wouldn't it be safe to assume that another similar geographical configuration within the region could contain habitat for another family unit?

SAsquatcher
SAsquatcher

May 20th, 2012, 6:19 pm #6

I've come to believe that BFs have a diet that's predomiantly on what they can get throughout the year be it meat to berries to nuts/acorns and so forth. Curious as to if their diet would include the wild honeysuckle plant. I ask/wonder because I love the smell it gives off when in bloom.
I used to bite the end off the honeysuckle blooms and get the nectar out so I presume that they are edible to humans.
I would imagine that it would be a sweet treat to a monster.
I never suffered any ill eff,,eff,,eff..eff,,effects,,,LOL.

SAsquatcher
SAsquatcher

May 21st, 2012, 12:44 am #7

1. Woods are a common denominator.Especially since these creatures seem to mimic shadows. The locations I have experience with do not have pine or other conifer however.

2. Waterways or water sources are another common denominator.Where waterways or major water sources come together seems to be important. My question is whether the creatures are strategically choosing areas away from, but close to and connected to, the main water sources. Is Boggy smaller than the Sulpher river? What is the geography of that area? Is it possible there may smaller creeks attached to those two water sources that may be the primary habitat for monsters? Is it possible to predict areas in those river valleys that may have a higher chance of monsters being there?

3. Adequate food sources are another common denominator. The primary place I am looking into has dozens and dozens of blackberry trees. There is OLD beaver sign but no beavers. I have only seen one set of racoon prints in over a year...the place should be loaded with them. Most if not all the small game has been wiped out. There is still plentiful deer. Deer sign is everywhere.There are gigantic freshwater mussels in the river and creeks. There is a ridiculous amount of farmland and this may be a primary foodsource.

4. Vastness of the woodland. This is an interesting concept. How much room does each pod or family unit of these things need? This is important especially since they seem to stay in the same general location year after year. How many family units could live in a specified X-mile region? How many family units would be needed to have a viable, sustainable breeding population for the region?

If a family unit of monsters were found wouldn't it be safe to assume that another similar geographical configuration within the region could contain habitat for another family unit?
Where Boggy Creek flows into the Sulfur River.
As you can see, it has changed since the 70's and is mostly farmland.
[/IMG]

May 21st, 2012, 6:39 pm #8

Knowing timber may or may not be cut, new roads for timber cutters, but creeks and rivers remain the same...

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

May 21st, 2012, 11:17 pm #9

[/IMG]
The geographical features look exactly like my primary and secondary location...including the farmland. In other words there may be plenty of locations that has monsters that are not a kajillion acre forest...

I have not checked where the creek empties into the river but really the only difference is about a mile or so up stream the creek terminates at a reservoir. Almost exactly between the two there are plenty of interesting things running around.

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

May 21st, 2012, 11:18 pm #10

[/IMG]
The geographical features look exactly like my primary and secondary location...including the farmland. In other words there may be plenty of locations that has monsters that are not a kajillion acre forest...

I have not checked where the creek empties into the river but really the only difference is about a mile or so up stream the creek terminates at a reservoir. Almost exactly between the two there are plenty of interesting things running around.