Iowa Blizzard

Iowa Blizzard

hawkeye sasquatch
hawkeye sasquatch

February 2nd, 2011, 3:51 am #1

Darn Iowa blizzard Tues 930 pm
I have had plans for weeks now, and have looked forward to making it to my research area tomorrow (wed). I coach basketball and have been working overtime so I havent had the time. I was also waiting for hunting season to close,and wouldnt you know we get a full pledge blizzard.I ment to share some snow prints with you all as I was fairly positive I can get some, guess ill have to wait till next week.I've already shared some with Monster Hunter from last year so I will share my next batch with all of you.Right now we have received 7 inches with 6 to 9 more on the way.Winds are sustained at 30mph with gusts pushing 45-50mph.It is even lightning and thundering some.Dot just pulled there plows,national guard has been activated in a few spots.This one ranks in my top ten of all time and maybe top five as I have been studying the weather for 35 years.I am really wondering were the monsters hang out in these blizzards,how they find food.I will do what I can to get some fresh snow prints, to share with you all.Give them a week to move around and as I am fairly positive I can get some.The only thing for them to eat at these times are small animals and dear, unless they hoard food, but even then we havent had vegitation for 3 months now.

February 2nd, 2011, 1:57 pm #2

It's cold but bareable...nothing on the ground so that's nice but 7 inches with 6 to 9 expected...would make me think Florida or southern California...

Nellie
Nellie

February 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm #3

Darn Iowa blizzard Tues 930 pm
I have had plans for weeks now, and have looked forward to making it to my research area tomorrow (wed). I coach basketball and have been working overtime so I havent had the time. I was also waiting for hunting season to close,and wouldnt you know we get a full pledge blizzard.I ment to share some snow prints with you all as I was fairly positive I can get some, guess ill have to wait till next week.I've already shared some with Monster Hunter from last year so I will share my next batch with all of you.Right now we have received 7 inches with 6 to 9 more on the way.Winds are sustained at 30mph with gusts pushing 45-50mph.It is even lightning and thundering some.Dot just pulled there plows,national guard has been activated in a few spots.This one ranks in my top ten of all time and maybe top five as I have been studying the weather for 35 years.I am really wondering were the monsters hang out in these blizzards,how they find food.I will do what I can to get some fresh snow prints, to share with you all.Give them a week to move around and as I am fairly positive I can get some.The only thing for them to eat at these times are small animals and dear, unless they hoard food, but even then we havent had vegitation for 3 months now.
It's 9:30am now and 72 degrees and a bit humid because of a front coming through. The news last night showed some of Iowa's streets and I just can't imagine living with weather like that. First and last time I saw snow here was 22 years ago and it melted when it hit the ground.

February 2nd, 2011, 3:47 pm #4

They expect some ice and snow and prepare for it...here...we get a little ice and snow and the world stops turning...

The weather channel has the US painted with cold weather...Stay safe and warm folks...looks like it's going to be a few days to a week before these fronts move through...hopefully...

Arkansan
Arkansan

February 3rd, 2011, 1:42 am #5

It's cold but bareable...nothing on the ground so that's nice but 7 inches with 6 to 9 expected...would make me think Florida or southern California...
And going crazy!! It is currently 13 degrees. There is about 5 inches of snow on the ground on top of ice and sleet that fell, and a good wind. The roads are thick with ice and snow. Very slippery. We have been stuck inside for 2 days now! I've walked to the store (Wal-Mart of course) a couple of times, but gee whiz, I don't like having to stay cooped up! The sherrif's dept. says "stay off the roads!" Bah humbug!

hawkeye sasquatch
hawkeye sasquatch

February 3rd, 2011, 3:43 am #6

They expect some ice and snow and prepare for it...here...we get a little ice and snow and the world stops turning...

The weather channel has the US painted with cold weather...Stay safe and warm folks...looks like it's going to be a few days to a week before these fronts move through...hopefully...
Now it is 4 below zero.You get used to it to some degree.In a odd sort of way it is kinda cool to live were you actually get to feel the extremes of weather of each season.We get plenty of humid hot days in the summer, were it reaches the 90,s and sometimes 100, on the other hand 6 months later we can have a blizard with high temps below zero in the daytime.It is what it is.There are plenty of monsters to chase here so ill put up with the cold.By the way one of the best places to find monsters in Iowa(the Shimek Forest)in SE Iowa got nearly 20 inches.

Hawkeyesasquatch
Hawkeyesasquatch

February 3rd, 2011, 3:49 am #7

By the way Jim just out of curiosity what is the most snow you have ever seen at one time?

February 3rd, 2011, 2:47 pm #8

but usually gone within a few days...local weather person predicts 2 to 4 inches by tomorrow with the temperatures getting up to around 50 Saturday so if we do get some snow and ice it will be gone within a few days...

February 4th, 2011, 2:04 am #9

Now it is 4 below zero.You get used to it to some degree.In a odd sort of way it is kinda cool to live were you actually get to feel the extremes of weather of each season.We get plenty of humid hot days in the summer, were it reaches the 90,s and sometimes 100, on the other hand 6 months later we can have a blizard with high temps below zero in the daytime.It is what it is.There are plenty of monsters to chase here so ill put up with the cold.By the way one of the best places to find monsters in Iowa(the Shimek Forest)in SE Iowa got nearly 20 inches.
But it takes a younger person then me to fight that cold...20 inches of snow is about a five year deal down here...