I would like to try this again...

I would like to try this again...

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

March 4th, 2014, 1:19 am #1

I have a sound clip with wood knocks on it. Please be patient and listen carefully before coming to the conclusion that these are ALL woodpeckers. I am not trying to prove anything. I am just pointing out what I have found. I put the whole clip down just to give context. Only the first 45 seconds or so and the last minute are important. The extended vocalization is on the far side of the creek on the wood line 70 yards from me. I have stated previously there are monsters on both side of the creek. A mature female is on one side with several juveniles. The other side where the vocalization comes from has a group of males.

I put this out there in case someone else can corroborate what I found. If they are using this to communicate, both the low articulations and the wood knocks, it may be important- please note the Jasper report on this site August 31, 2013 last paragraph of the report.

This is what I have found:

1. Some if not all of the knocks are suspect and the louder knocks may be signals for others across the creek
2. The monsters are articulating vocal sounds below my ability to hear.

(These sounds are being picked up on my audio recorder. They are very good at distraction and may be articulating sounds when I am distracted.)

Description: June and 75 degrees approximately 9:30 am

I am in a grass area. I am 40-50 yards from the closest wood line and within 20 yards of the creek. Across the creek is another wood line about 70 yards from my position. One interesting note are the Red bellied woodpecker calls. Notice that they move closer and closer to me. At approximately the 3:45 mark three of the calls are coming from somewhere inside the grass area with me.

I had a video recorder attached to my chest and I have found where a shadow anomaly moved across the creek into a position by a tree. I am not sure why it waited for me to turn and walk away before it vocalized. The extended vocal is when I turn to walk away.

here is the breakdown of the audio. you may need headphones:

4 seconds-- woodpecker
26 seconds-- discrete Vocal anomaly
28 seconds-- 3 knocks
33 seconds discrete vocal anomaly
40 seconds discrete vocal anomaly

3:22 woodpecker
3:51 discrete vocal anomaly
4:09 Moan
4: 18 2 very light knocks
4:20 2 heavy knocks ( response)
4:41 Extended Vocal anomaly
5:08 3 light knocks
5:11 3 Light knocks (Response)

https://soundcloud.com/circlewalker

Picture from this trip of the first clearing after I got under the canopy.

and a blow up of the shadow anomaly in the first picture:

And another anomaly from the year before (by the curved tree in the middle of the first picture):

C

March 4th, 2014, 9:25 pm #2

I see exactly what you are talking about in your pictures but it is difficult to say exactly what is making the knocking sounds...woodpeckers yes...others...no idea but let me say this...you have quite a bit of background noise with birds and a few frogs...if Monsters are close by you'll more than likely hear nothing...at Monster Central...dead quiet even now...the ladies places...other than a few crows on occasion it's quiet...the local critters become closed mouth when Monsters are around...why...Monsters are their predators...

I do appreciate you sending this in again for all analyze and suggest everyone read and listen...it is interesting...

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

March 5th, 2014, 12:15 am #3

Thank you for listening and giving input. I appreciate your knowledge here especially since I am new at this.

I would like to add one more clip. The reason is that I get many of these shorter vocalizations on my recordings. This takes place approximately 3-4 minutes after the last recording as I try to find my way to the first clearing. This was recorded before I was under the canopy during the same trip.

This clip is only about 10 seconds long:

2 seconds strange vocal anomaly (did not hear)

5 seconds roar/scream anomaly somewhere inside the canopy

https://soundcloud.com/circlewalker/sound-anomaly2-1

I got this picture about 5 minutes after taking the first picture.

TCobb
TCobb

March 5th, 2014, 12:51 pm #4

I have a sound clip with wood knocks on it. Please be patient and listen carefully before coming to the conclusion that these are ALL woodpeckers. I am not trying to prove anything. I am just pointing out what I have found. I put the whole clip down just to give context. Only the first 45 seconds or so and the last minute are important. The extended vocalization is on the far side of the creek on the wood line 70 yards from me. I have stated previously there are monsters on both side of the creek. A mature female is on one side with several juveniles. The other side where the vocalization comes from has a group of males.

I put this out there in case someone else can corroborate what I found. If they are using this to communicate, both the low articulations and the wood knocks, it may be important- please note the Jasper report on this site August 31, 2013 last paragraph of the report.

1. Some if not all of the knocks are suspect and the louder knocks may be signals for others across the creek

(These sounds are being picked up on my audio recorder. They are very good at distraction and may be articulating sounds when I am distracted.)

I am in a grass area. I am 40-50 yards from the closest wood line and within 20 yards of the creek. Across the creek is another wood line about 70 yards from my position. One interesting note are the Red bellied woodpecker calls. Notice that they move closer and closer to me. At approximately the 3:45 mark three of the calls are coming from somewhere inside the grass area with me.

I had a video recorder attached to my chest and I have found where a shadow anomaly moved across the creek into a position by a tree. I am not sure why it waited for me to turn and walk away before it vocalized. The extended vocal is when I turn to walk away.

4 seconds-- woodpecker
28 seconds-- 3 knocks

And another anomaly from the year before (by the curved tree in the middle of the first picture):

C
Im not sure but the August Jasper County TX would be mine. I really dont have the foggiest as to what really happened. I think if it would have been just me up there i dont know that the response would have happened. I did knocks and stuff back then to amuse the kids and I had never recieved a response in dozens of times before till that day. Maybe they knew that it was a bunch of kids. I really believe that they are not communicating with us (humans) oher possibly to mess around with us. I really at the time was shocked and posibly now beleive whatever it was may have been signalling to another where our location was as I have recently located what I think is a marker. It consists of a large holly tree pulled over and pinned to the ground by what is an aleady longed sinced downed tree. In retrospect the final sound came most likely from that area. You mentioned woodpecker noises...later that next summer I was walking a recently recut trail that drops down into a creek bottom and couldnt see thru either side as the youpon and brush is thick in there and heard woodpecker type noises on both sodes of me. I did some research and the slowest count on a woodpecker pecking for lack of a better word, is around 60 taps a min. This was aboout half that. It started on one side stopped and then started again on the other and went back and forth for aprox 5mins. At first I didnt think nothing of it....untill it stopped and started back up on the other side. It was very light compared to what I have heard a woodpecker do. I froze in my tracks and coudnt move...hair stood up and my hearing became acute. It may have been me spooking myself...i dont know. Does anybody know of something that taps in the woods other than a woodpecker?

Terry
Terry

March 5th, 2014, 3:47 pm #5

tap differently. We have the downy woodpecker here that taps as you have described. If you don't know your birds, try and google the woodpeckers in your area and the hammering sounds they produce.

t.

TCobb
TCobb

March 5th, 2014, 9:38 pm #6

I did and the slowest in my area is 60 taps a.min. my mom is audabon society and she concurred however i will check it out....thanks. the strange thing is the sound seemed to change slightly back and forth. Meaning it seemed to jump from tree to.tree. i will listen though.

TCobb
TCobb

March 5th, 2014, 9:58 pm #7

4 seconds-- woodpecker
28 seconds-- 3 knocks

C
Its incredible...the extended sound anomaly is chilling. So question os all the racket going on isnt you? The brush moving and sticks breaking?

wookieehunter
wookieehunter

March 5th, 2014, 11:49 pm #8

Thank you for listening and giving input. I appreciate your knowledge here especially since I am new at this.

I would like to add one more clip. The reason is that I get many of these shorter vocalizations on my recordings. This takes place approximately 3-4 minutes after the last recording as I try to find my way to the first clearing. This was recorded before I was under the canopy during the same trip.

This clip is only about 10 seconds long:

2 seconds strange vocal anomaly (did not hear)

5 seconds roar/scream anomaly somewhere inside the canopy

https://soundcloud.com/circlewalker/sound-anomaly2-1

I got this picture about 5 minutes after taking the first picture.

Wow a full facial.I can see eybrows ,eyes nose...way cool

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

March 6th, 2014, 1:11 am #9

Im not sure but the August Jasper County TX would be mine. I really dont have the foggiest as to what really happened. I think if it would have been just me up there i dont know that the response would have happened. I did knocks and stuff back then to amuse the kids and I had never recieved a response in dozens of times before till that day. Maybe they knew that it was a bunch of kids. I really believe that they are not communicating with us (humans) oher possibly to mess around with us. I really at the time was shocked and posibly now beleive whatever it was may have been signalling to another where our location was as I have recently located what I think is a marker. It consists of a large holly tree pulled over and pinned to the ground by what is an aleady longed sinced downed tree. In retrospect the final sound came most likely from that area. You mentioned woodpecker noises...later that next summer I was walking a recently recut trail that drops down into a creek bottom and couldnt see thru either side as the youpon and brush is thick in there and heard woodpecker type noises on both sodes of me. I did some research and the slowest count on a woodpecker pecking for lack of a better word, is around 60 taps a min. This was aboout half that. It started on one side stopped and then started again on the other and went back and forth for aprox 5mins. At first I didnt think nothing of it....untill it stopped and started back up on the other side. It was very light compared to what I have heard a woodpecker do. I froze in my tracks and coudnt move...hair stood up and my hearing became acute. It may have been me spooking myself...i dont know. Does anybody know of something that taps in the woods other than a woodpecker?
I would agree with Terry but I had an experience in this area that leads me to believe it is not just woodpeckers.

I was moving from the first clearing to the second clearing. Right on top of me less than 20 feet away on the hill something began to knock very quickly. It scared me so I stopped and backed out slowly. This is the audio. Notice the vocal articulation/anomaly at the 13-14 second mark:

https://soundcloud.com/circlewalker/woo ... 6sept14124

I decided to go up the hill to see if I could look down to see what was knocking.

When I started up the hill I noticed a fence that I hadn't seen before that was obstructed by underbrush. This is the very area I was in. Notice you can't see any fence:

In a small area the fence was held down by two sticks. I decided to take pictures of the two sticks. Immediately after taking the first picture I heard knocks moving away from me downhill and by that I mean the knocks were going on AND MOVING downhill away from me at the same time.
I literally thought that what ever was making the noise was circling around behind me.

I snapped a picture, trying to document the first stick that was holding the fence down, heard the knocks moving away downhill then turned to snap another picture of the second stick. I was getting PD spooked. Just as I was about to step over the fence a rock was thrown directly over my head about two feet. I could see it clearly as it tore the leaves off the tree going over my head. It was thrown about as hard as a high school fastball and was about the size of an egg. I never saw what had thrown the rock and believe me I scanned the area carefully. I did not take another step in that direction opting to go back the way I came in.

This is the first picture

and a blow up indicating nothing is there:

This is the second picture

and a blow up of the tree on the far right:

I think the tree knocks moving downhill were used as a distraction so this thing could move into position. The rock was a not-so-subtle- warning.

C

Circlewalker
Circlewalker

March 6th, 2014, 2:22 am #10

Its incredible...the extended sound anomaly is chilling. So question os all the racket going on isnt you? The brush moving and sticks breaking?
It has been my experience that these things are ridiculously hard to spot and they don't make a sound when they move... unless they want someone to hear it.

I have heard slight twig snaps... but again I think it is to make me look in certain directions. It is very hard not to do that especially when you don't want something sneaking up behind you.

Monster Hunter pointed out to me some of the things they do and I will state that he has been right way more than once.

C