Hand guns.

Hand guns.

March 11th, 2012, 11:40 pm #1

What in your opinior would be a good pistol to take with you Bigfooting?
This is just a "For the sake of arguement" type of question.
Here is the scenario.
You are up in a stand, you see a Bigfoot, you shoot the Bigfoot, you go down to retrieve the body and then you start hearing screams and tree limbs snapping and you realize that all the brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins of the creature that you just shot are in the area too!
What would be the weapon of choice to defend yourself against this kind of "Family reunion"?

Grumpy
Grumpy

March 11th, 2012, 11:56 pm #2

More than any one person can carry... no matter what caliber.

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

March 12th, 2012, 1:04 am #3

Here is the scenario.
You are up in a stand, you see a Bigfoot, you shoot the Bigfoot, you go down to retrieve the body and then you start hearing screams and tree limbs snapping and you realize that all the brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins of the creature that you just shot are in the area too!
What would be the weapon of choice to defend yourself against this kind of "Family reunion"?
As I picture myself in the scenario you mention, I cannot picture myself leaving a tree stand until AFTER backup arrives (fellow BFers with LOTS of rifles in caliber 7.62x39 and much, MUCH higher!).

IF you're taking a pot shot at a BF, you should have a 7.62x51 FAL or M1A (or AR-180) in your sweaty palms and a couple extra mags in your pockets.

Other than that, considering that a BF may way 300+ pounds......... Fuggedaboutit! You ain't goin' NOWHERE in a hurry.

Best case scenario, you have a machete and you cut off the head and haul that off while laying suppressing fire on any BF kinfolk behind you (I'd wait for that backup squad first, IMO).

To review:

Handguns? BWAAAHAAAHAAAA!

Rifles? Preferably 7.62x51 or better (like 7.62x54R/.30-06/.300/.338/.50 cal - Barrett semi auto rifle) Lots of mags. Lots of backup.

The best thing you can do with a handgun-only scenario is to save the last round for yourself...............................

My .02 cents.

-MikeInNC

P.S. I sucked at the Military Rifle Match this weekend. Personal performance was disgusting. My team took 1st Place, though, so the day wasn't a total loss

Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf

March 12th, 2012, 1:05 am #4

Here is the scenario.
I don't care what anyone claims, you hit one center mass, it goes down.
Period.

Crispy
Crispy

March 12th, 2012, 1:19 am #5

Response I have ever seen!

March 12th, 2012, 1:40 am #6

As I picture myself in the scenario you mention, I cannot picture myself leaving a tree stand until AFTER backup arrives (fellow BFers with LOTS of rifles in caliber 7.62x39 and much, MUCH higher!).

IF you're taking a pot shot at a BF, you should have a 7.62x51 FAL or M1A (or AR-180) in your sweaty palms and a couple extra mags in your pockets.

Other than that, considering that a BF may way 300+ pounds......... Fuggedaboutit! You ain't goin' NOWHERE in a hurry.

Best case scenario, you have a machete and you cut off the head and haul that off while laying suppressing fire on any BF kinfolk behind you (I'd wait for that backup squad first, IMO).

To review:

Handguns? BWAAAHAAAHAAAA!

Rifles? Preferably 7.62x51 or better (like 7.62x54R/.30-06/.300/.338/.50 cal - Barrett semi auto rifle) Lots of mags. Lots of backup.

The best thing you can do with a handgun-only scenario is to save the last round for yourself...............................

My .02 cents.

-MikeInNC

P.S. I sucked at the Military Rifle Match this weekend. Personal performance was disgusting. My team took 1st Place, though, so the day wasn't a total loss
I think that if you have a .40 caliber or up in a semi auto, you may have a fighting chance.
I was looking at a few the other day and I have it on good authority NOT to buy Smith and Wesson, Taurus is a good choice, It looks like an S & W but it works right.

Ken3030
Ken3030

March 12th, 2012, 1:44 am #7

Taking a handgun to shoot a monster would be like taking a knife to a gun fight.

March 12th, 2012, 1:52 am #8

He's going DOWN.
I don't care if he's 8ft or 9 or 10 or 12 ft.
I don't think that a monster is any bigger than say a COW, if it'll kill a cow, it'll kill a monster.

March 12th, 2012, 2:00 am #9

I don't care what anyone claims, you hit one center mass, it goes down.
Period.
But you're on the right track.
Give me that with a couple of clips and I'm the biggest baddest thing in the woods!

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

March 12th, 2012, 2:10 am #10

I think that if you have a .40 caliber or up in a semi auto, you may have a fighting chance.
I was looking at a few the other day and I have it on good authority NOT to buy Smith and Wesson, Taurus is a good choice, It looks like an S & W but it works right.
.45 cal, okay. But considering the mass of a BF and the scenario of a 300+ pound BF (or multiple BF's) charging you, I wouldn't want to depend on a handgun caliber to save my own life.

Again, to preserve My Own Life (insert Your Own Life here) would I entrust a handgun to stop a BF, or a similarly sized bear, moose, African Water Buffalo? Heck, no!

When discussing one own's life, a "minimum handgun caliber" simply doesn't enter the equation (for my own life).

The equation STARTS with, "what will stop a 300+/400+ pound animal/creature/unknown at the greatest possible distance, considering immediate conditions. One should, if one loves his/her own life, start with a caliber known for its stopping power.

Therefore, IMO, a handgun caliber cannot be counted upon in a "charging BF kinfolk" scenario.

If a BF is charging, it will not be a static target. It will be bounding up and down, and left and right around trees/obstacles. A head-shot is not guaranteed by someone in a stressful situation (having just killed a humanoid, nightmarish monster). Stress means misses (as I personally experienced against stationary, head-sized targets at 200 yards) so a firearm/caliber combination which will slow or stop the charge of a monster (really: a "monster") with body/extremity hits - is more vital than an imaginary, indoor range, calm-cool-collected, handgun headshot.

If I can't hit stationary steel at 200 yards with enough regularity (having won the event 3x out of 24 events in the past) to win, would I bet my human, mortal, life on a handgun against a monster at less than 50 yards? Heck no!

Pack the greatest firepower you (and your liberal/republican state) will allow you to carry!

It's only your life . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

-MikeInNC