General question about rifle scopes

General question about rifle scopes

Cindy
Cindy

June 1st, 2010, 1:05 pm #1

My hubby got a BRNO Mauser 98 made in 1946. Beautiful rifle.
It has a scope mounted on it.

We have always shot open sights and don't really have a lot of experience with scopes.

Anyway, we went shooting yesterday and he wanted to sight it in on the 100 yd range. We could figure out how to make the scope sight move up and down with a horizontal wheel on top that you could turn, but not sideways. I know, I know. We just are not familiar with scopes. So eventually, we could shoot a bullseye if we aimed about 18 inches to the left. Obviously very annoying.

Any advice on what to try or look for?

June 1st, 2010, 7:49 pm #2

Hey forum members...I'm not the only person who can answer these questions asked...I know damn good and well some of you hunters know the answer...

Take the rifle and have it bore sighted Cindy...if the scope is set correctly then to adjust the right to left there should be an adjustment on the right side of your scope...18" inches is a bunch off but it can be corrected and stay corrected if the scope is good...

Adjust the cross hairs by turning the desired direction...shoot and correct until you have what you want...shoot again to make sure the cross hairs are not moving from recoil...more then likely the scope is not set correctly or the rifle has been dropped damaging the scope which is not uncommon...

Cindy
Cindy

June 1st, 2010, 8:13 pm #3

The other guys probably just thought it was a ridiculous question.

Cindy
Cindy

June 1st, 2010, 8:13 pm #4

Hey forum members...I'm not the only person who can answer these questions asked...I know damn good and well some of you hunters know the answer...

Take the rifle and have it bore sighted Cindy...if the scope is set correctly then to adjust the right to left there should be an adjustment on the right side of your scope...18" inches is a bunch off but it can be corrected and stay corrected if the scope is good...

Adjust the cross hairs by turning the desired direction...shoot and correct until you have what you want...shoot again to make sure the cross hairs are not moving from recoil...more then likely the scope is not set correctly or the rifle has been dropped damaging the scope which is not uncommon...

Timberghost
Timberghost

June 2nd, 2010, 3:08 am #5

Wish I could help but I shoot open sights. I own a couple scopes, but hate them. Too much brush where I hunt so a scope is worthless to me...
unless it's thermal

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

June 2nd, 2010, 3:41 am #6

Get a laser bore site....can site it out at 100 yards without shooting the house up...then take it to the range for fine tuning.........

CoastalMike
CoastalMike

June 2nd, 2010, 4:08 pm #7

the adjustment screws are covered by lids aka dust covers that you screw on and off with your fingers. Your scope has to have a horizontal adjustment ("windage") on the side as well as a vertical ("elevation") on top.
see this pdf: www.bushnell.com/manuals/riflescopes/Tr ... escope.pdf