Game cameras...

Game cameras...

July 3rd, 2009, 3:22 pm #1

I guess we have tried about everything with game cameras without success...Jake leaving what appeared to be a heavily used crossing...we left the camera for two weeks without getting any photos...

Grumpy
Grumpy

July 3rd, 2009, 3:40 pm #2

LOL, bet if you look behind the tree you'll find a new well used trail..... dam monsters are camera shy..but then if I was that ugly I would be to...

Terry
Terry

July 3rd, 2009, 4:05 pm #3

I guess we have tried about everything with game cameras without success...Jake leaving what appeared to be a heavily used crossing...we left the camera for two weeks without getting any photos...

that the great apes can recognize themselves in a mirror and liked looking at themselves. Of course I immediately thought it may be an idea to fasten one of those cheap, full length mirrors to a tree with a game cam focused on it from a bit of a distance away so that the mirror would distract from the camera. Still, what do I know? lol

t.

July 3rd, 2009, 5:10 pm #4

didn't hang a camera in the area...I might try that Terry...just might work...

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

July 3rd, 2009, 6:10 pm #5

Questions/musings:

A BF should not know what a camera is. So why do they avoid stepping in front of them?

BFs don't avoid other objects as they've seemingly toyed with items you placed for them in the past.

---

Have you inspected a large area, installed a camera in the center of the area, and then see new stick markers in the previously scanned area?

If so, it could indicate that the camera installer was being watched during installation of an item.

(If this is the case a possible - pricey - experiment.... Have multiple videocams set up in a rig so that they provide 360 coverage. The game cam installer turns on the cameras perhaps 50 yards before stopping to set up the game cam. Game cam is installed and the video rig is taken out of the woods and videos inspected for any possible activity)

(alternate idea - if two people are going into the woods - one sets up game cam, the other then inspects the area with a thermal device ($$$$) or video cam.

---

If it is suspected that BFs avoid cams, how about installing Fake game cams in order to "direct" BFs towards a real game cam....or a waiting researcher. (this would fail if BFs can see any lights/signals/etc. emitted by came cams, as is sometimes suggested)

---

Alternately - set up multiple, functioning, game cams so that any possible BF-viewable beams would funnel BFs into an area where they could be caught on film/video run by a live person/crew (without any possible beam-producing recording devices). Or use beam-funneling for night-time research so that a curious BF would be forced to approach (for example) a research campsite from just one direction.

I'm sure you've already tried every possibly imaginable trick in the book.

There's just GOTTA be a way to trick these things into camera range.

(Have a Happy 4th!)

-Mike

July 3rd, 2009, 6:17 pm #6

The only two suspected photos I have of these Monsters was while I was fooling with my game cameras...I always thought they watched and knew where the cameras were...

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

July 3rd, 2009, 8:27 pm #7

Questions/musings:

A BF should not know what a camera is. So why do they avoid stepping in front of them?

BFs don't avoid other objects as they've seemingly toyed with items you placed for them in the past.

---

Have you inspected a large area, installed a camera in the center of the area, and then see new stick markers in the previously scanned area?

If so, it could indicate that the camera installer was being watched during installation of an item.

(If this is the case a possible - pricey - experiment.... Have multiple videocams set up in a rig so that they provide 360 coverage. The game cam installer turns on the cameras perhaps 50 yards before stopping to set up the game cam. Game cam is installed and the video rig is taken out of the woods and videos inspected for any possible activity)

(alternate idea - if two people are going into the woods - one sets up game cam, the other then inspects the area with a thermal device ($$$$) or video cam.

---

If it is suspected that BFs avoid cams, how about installing Fake game cams in order to "direct" BFs towards a real game cam....or a waiting researcher. (this would fail if BFs can see any lights/signals/etc. emitted by came cams, as is sometimes suggested)

---

Alternately - set up multiple, functioning, game cams so that any possible BF-viewable beams would funnel BFs into an area where they could be caught on film/video run by a live person/crew (without any possible beam-producing recording devices). Or use beam-funneling for night-time research so that a curious BF would be forced to approach (for example) a research campsite from just one direction.

I'm sure you've already tried every possibly imaginable trick in the book.

There's just GOTTA be a way to trick these things into camera range.

(Have a Happy 4th!)

-Mike
And I will say it again.

If a Monster it nocturnal, than it would use at least part of the UV waves to see at night. Like starlight and your NV. Deer have this ability.

A $10 black light from Walmart is all you need for this experiment.

Game camera casings, along with you camo's and your tent, are all made with UV brighteners. It keeps your stuff from getting moldy.

Take you camera, find a nice tree in your yard that you think will conceal it, abd put it up there.

Get yourself an extension chord if you need one. After it gets good and dark, take your black light out in the yard and shine it towards your camera. It will stand out like a beacon. A nice bright glow coming from your tree.

You will be able to see it long before you are in the sensor range of the camera.

They don't know what a camera is - but in their world it sure stands out as something that should not be there.

July 3rd, 2009, 11:11 pm #8

and still haven't sprayed them...I remember you mentioning this sometime back...I will spray all my game cams a flat black paint before I rehang them...

Grumpy
Grumpy

July 3rd, 2009, 11:15 pm #9

Jim, just don't forget to tape over the lens and flash area prior to painting, Crispy forgot to do this prior to painting his and that's why he hasn't gotten any pictures...... Sorry Scott I just had to.......................

July 3rd, 2009, 11:27 pm #10

LOL...