Fishing question for Don Don...

Fishing question for Don Don...

Nellie
Nellie

September 9th, 2010, 7:10 am #1

Picture this: a relatively large lake that has fish but the fish will not take any kind of bait offered to them. My friend and I can't figure it out. Several waterholes we've tried to fish were like that. Maybe the fish aren't hurting for food? The folks that live on this one particular lake (10 years)have fished with all sorts of lures and live baits and the biggest fish they've ever caught was about 5 inches long. WTF!
My son and I tried and only caught smaller than that.
Have you a thought as to why a lake that seems to have a really good abundance of fish would be so hard to fish?

chattahoocheebigfoot
chattahoocheebigfoot

September 9th, 2010, 11:54 am #2

It's a competition issue Don. When a lake has more than ample nurishment; why then do the need to bit a lure, cricket or worm? Find a way to remove the lakes natural nurishment and you'll catch fish.

jeff

DonDon
DonDon

September 9th, 2010, 3:45 pm #3

Picture this: a relatively large lake that has fish but the fish will not take any kind of bait offered to them. My friend and I can't figure it out. Several waterholes we've tried to fish were like that. Maybe the fish aren't hurting for food? The folks that live on this one particular lake (10 years)have fished with all sorts of lures and live baits and the biggest fish they've ever caught was about 5 inches long. WTF!
My son and I tried and only caught smaller than that.
Have you a thought as to why a lake that seems to have a really good abundance of fish would be so hard to fish?

Try a Beatle Spin, about any fish will hit that sucker. Get an ultra light rod and reel with about 8 lb test line of it and ease around the pond and see what happens. If you want it to fish deeper, add a small split shit about a foot abover the beatle spin, you can throw it further and it'll run deeper. Get a yellow one, a orange and black one, a black with yellow stripe and a white one. Try all of those until you find the fish. Don;t try just the edges, try and in the middle as well, without knowing the lake, I can't tell ya much more than that. If there's alot of small fish in it and no bigger one's, keep everything or just toss them on the bank, it's over populated and a bunch have to come out IMO for them to grow and get bigger. That's all ya need to do unless you want to feed them and that can get expensive

DonDon
DonDon

September 9th, 2010, 3:50 pm #4

It's a competition issue Don. When a lake has more than ample nurishment; why then do the need to bit a lure, cricket or worm? Find a way to remove the lakes natural nurishment and you'll catch fish.

jeff
just catch and keep or toss on the bank everything you catch. It'll take a couple years for them to get bigger but they will. My nephew bought a 10 acre pond slap full of Crappie and he could never catch one bigger than 10 inches. That was 3 years ago. He did what I told him about throwing them on the bank or keeping everything he caught and now he's catching 2 pounders. He was catching 50-75 fish 3 times a week so quite alot came out. Crappie will lay close to 100,000 eggs each year so you won;t catch them all, promise ya that. We're going to Enid lake tomorrow night camping with a group of friends and we should come back with our limit or 80 fish for 2 days feshing. They have a over 12 inch minimum size limit there and last time I went, Wife and I caught well over 100 fish to get our 40 limit. Talk about fun though. Nothing like trollin crank baits for crappie. 6 to 8 rods out the side of the boat in rod holders just riding around waiting for them to bite

September 9th, 2010, 4:29 pm #5

Try a Beatle Spin, about any fish will hit that sucker. Get an ultra light rod and reel with about 8 lb test line of it and ease around the pond and see what happens. If you want it to fish deeper, add a small split shit about a foot abover the beatle spin, you can throw it further and it'll run deeper. Get a yellow one, a orange and black one, a black with yellow stripe and a white one. Try all of those until you find the fish. Don;t try just the edges, try and in the middle as well, without knowing the lake, I can't tell ya much more than that. If there's alot of small fish in it and no bigger one's, keep everything or just toss them on the bank, it's over populated and a bunch have to come out IMO for them to grow and get bigger. That's all ya need to do unless you want to feed them and that can get expensive

Nellie
Nellie

September 9th, 2010, 6:02 pm #6

I'll relay what you said to my fishing friend. He uses lures and I usually use live bait(worms). I'm usually catching more with live bait than he does with his. LOL. We can only fish the shore...no boat. Two of the lakes are large.. maybe a quarter to a half mile across. I was catching 3 inch long Bluegills and tilapia.There were fish feeding in the deeper water beyond where I can cast that looked a whole lot bigger.
Instead of ditching them on the bank I would love to relocate any Bluegills or bass to this small waterhole over here near to where I live with a fountain in the middle of it...a retirement condo that was built 2 years ago. I could walk there to fish it's so close. No fish in it YET.

So thank you for the help! I'll let you know if we catch any keepers!

hoghunter
hoghunter

September 9th, 2010, 6:26 pm #7

My favorite lure....

DonDon
DonDon

September 9th, 2010, 6:46 pm #8

do work. Dang sure have used them before. Get a rock and an M-80 with a piece of string. Works every time LOL

September 9th, 2010, 6:55 pm #9

I'll relay what you said to my fishing friend. He uses lures and I usually use live bait(worms). I'm usually catching more with live bait than he does with his. LOL. We can only fish the shore...no boat. Two of the lakes are large.. maybe a quarter to a half mile across. I was catching 3 inch long Bluegills and tilapia.There were fish feeding in the deeper water beyond where I can cast that looked a whole lot bigger.
Instead of ditching them on the bank I would love to relocate any Bluegills or bass to this small waterhole over here near to where I live with a fountain in the middle of it...a retirement condo that was built 2 years ago. I could walk there to fish it's so close. No fish in it YET.

So thank you for the help! I'll let you know if we catch any keepers!
Catch some keepers and send us the pictures...

Nellie
Nellie

September 9th, 2010, 10:07 pm #10

Fun one Jim.LOL. GET ER DONE!