Back to GUNZZZZZZ

Back to GUNZZZZZZ

March 17th, 2012, 10:06 pm #1

Is the .44 mag desert eagle a good gun?

March 17th, 2012, 11:12 pm #2

Would you trust it in the scenario that I posted below?
For those who are not up to date on this, here is the scenario.

"You are up in a stand, you see a Bigfoot, you shoot the Bigfoot, you go down to retrieve the body and then you start hearing screams and tree limbs snapping and you realize that all the brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins of the creature that you just shot are in the area too!
What would be the weapon of choice to defend yourself against this kind of "Family reunion"?

Incidentally Grumpy, I see your point on the .44 mag, I'm just thinking about having more than 6 rounds at a time and being able to reload really really fast.
Last edited by tiny on March 17th, 2012, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. Fisher
D. Fisher

March 18th, 2012, 12:13 am #3

What caliber handgun you choose as long as your effective with it. Takes lots of practice to know your weapon. You can do all sorts of scenarios but what matters most is how you handle the real deal and what your instinct is like under pressure. Everyones different, everyone reacts different.

As for myself I am using a beretta PX4 storm, 40 S&W, why? because it fits me and I'm comfortable with it. Its not my primary weapon for hunting monsters. 12 guage is my primary because of versitility of rounds available, these lead flingers will get you through most any situation.

In my opinion you are putting to much emphasis on a backup side arm. Remember any pistol is only as effective as the person pulling the trigger. You will know when you pick a pistol up and something in your
head says WOW!! this feels right, its so natural, it fits. If that happens buy it.

By the way I dont care for Desert Eagles, to big for my hand, and heavy to carry around.

Grumpy
Grumpy

March 18th, 2012, 12:16 am #4

"You are up in a stand, you see a Bigfoot, you shoot the Bigfoot, you go down to retrieve the body and then you start hearing screams and tree limbs snapping and you realize that all the brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins of the creature that you just shot are in the area too!
What would be the weapon of choice to defend yourself against this kind of "Family reunion"?

Incidentally Grumpy, I see your point on the .44 mag, I'm just thinking about having more than 6 rounds at a time and being able to reload really really fast.
I would still run really, really, really fast screaming like a little girl.... LOL Common sense tells me to also save 1 bullet for you know what!!!.... Rick, no handgun will provide you any protection against a family of monsters so common sense says NOT to shoot one unless either it is trying to shake you out of the tree or lots of help is available and remember even the 44 auto mag clip doesn't hold that many and unless you practice, practice, practice and are confident clearing any failure to feed or other jams your dead in the water..... I practice failures monthly with dummy rounds since they have to be instinctive. IMHO unless you are or have used any auto-loader for sometime you are better off with a .44mag or .50 revolver, 4-6" barrel and several speed loaders, plus your choice of heavy hand loads from many custom loaders is available.

March 18th, 2012, 1:28 am #5

Well I'm just saying that if we are trying to harvest an animal, we need to be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.
I remember back in 2003, Josh and Wayne and I were the first on the scene and all that I had was that single shot Englander 12 gauge but I do have fast reflexes and if it came down to it, I know that I could have jacked shells in that thing as fast as somebody could with a pump action.

Grumpy
Grumpy

March 18th, 2012, 1:47 am #6

Rick, your choices are much greater with a Revolver, cleaning is easier, no way near the take-down required or parts to loose, and much less chance of a failure. I only carry a pistol for personal defense 'and' a revolver when I might need to defend myself against large or any dangerous game, something as simple as a failure to feed could be the difference between your or someone's life as any animal can and will close that safe distance while your racking the slide to chamber another round--- failure to feed doesn't happen with a revolver and most good accomplished shooters can squeeze off rounds just as fast plus with practice and speed loaders your down range shoots will probably equal a pistol..... just watch a few of the competition revolver shooters they can reload as fast as any pistol shooter. And remember if your not a big bore shooter or comfortable with heavy recoil and can consistently place your shoots in the 'ten' ring what ever you buy won't be of much help, my suggestion is to go to a large range with rentals and try several big bore guns to see what fits your hand and what the recoil and accuracy is like.

JF
JF

March 18th, 2012, 2:35 am #7

I think i would have a clean trail to run on..But the Monsters woulnt..Im not a big-pistol guy myself i carry my Mini-30 or my AK-47 with 30-Rnd clips

SAsquatcher
SAsquatcher

March 18th, 2012, 4:04 am #8

Rick, your choices are much greater with a Revolver, cleaning is easier, no way near the take-down required or parts to loose, and much less chance of a failure. I only carry a pistol for personal defense 'and' a revolver when I might need to defend myself against large or any dangerous game, something as simple as a failure to feed could be the difference between your or someone's life as any animal can and will close that safe distance while your racking the slide to chamber another round--- failure to feed doesn't happen with a revolver and most good accomplished shooters can squeeze off rounds just as fast plus with practice and speed loaders your down range shoots will probably equal a pistol..... just watch a few of the competition revolver shooters they can reload as fast as any pistol shooter. And remember if your not a big bore shooter or comfortable with heavy recoil and can consistently place your shoots in the 'ten' ring what ever you buy won't be of much help, my suggestion is to go to a large range with rentals and try several big bore guns to see what fits your hand and what the recoil and accuracy is like.
Sounds good, I guess instead of clips I can buy speed loaders.
I know that a .44 mag will go through an engine block so it'll go through a monsters head!
Just wondering what would be the best investment, now I know.

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

March 18th, 2012, 4:37 am #9

it was a beast. I had a standard model with Z coating.
I would rather tote a fully loaded shotgun around as that Desert Eagle felt like a 10 ton anchor.

even worse was the fact that there is really only one way to carry it and this is a chest holster by Uncle Mikes.I dont think I ever had a malfunction of any type and it is extremely easy to breakdown and clean. Magazines are a downer to find, though.

mine liked 240 hornady factory loads. I traded it in college for a Mini 14 and stereo for my pickup.

they are neat and I'm sure my son would love to shoot one if I still had it. by all means by one, if nothing else on novelty alone.

Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf

March 18th, 2012, 5:27 am #10

8 rounds of .357 mag is a nice wheel gun option.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y